“Stuck in a Timewarp”

Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Tenby
wales
“Stuck in a Timewarp”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Stayed at adjoining residence Cranock House which included use of facilities at Clarence Hotel.
Both are stuck in a timewarp.Very basic room accomodation .
Clarence Hotel needs to be totally refurnbished, stuck in the 1970's
Small residence garden opposite where you should be able to sit and look at the sea was covered in cigarette ends for the 4 days we were there. no bin to put them in - no attempt to clean them=-Disgusting.
Workman there doing something to the hotel spent their breaks either led on the entrance steps eating and drinking tea or taking all the seating in the residents only garden opposite
Would never stay here again

Room Tip: cannot suggest going
2 Thank orielwales
clarhot, Owner at The Clarence House Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
In the last 10 years I have invested over a million pounds to lift the hotel out of the time warp you say it inhabits.

The building was erected in 1860 and has a grade 2 listing with National Parks.
If you were to visit Buckingham Palace you would be surrounded by regal splendour but would be quite entitled to describe it as existing in a time warp.

I find it rather ironic that you complain about the lack of investment and care in the hotel and then complain about the workmen outside.

Those chaps are the finest exterior decorators in the county, working extremely hard to improve the building exterior and water penetration defences.

They do stop every few hours for a well deserved cup of tea and I apologise if you find the sight of craftsmen refreshing themselves offensive.

This type of work can only be carried out during the warmer months and will be finished soon, so should you return to the Esplanade soon, you will find the sights more to your satisfaction.

As it happens, I was sitting with these fine workmen enjoying a cup of tea and reviewing the work in progress when you found the spectacle so unpleasant.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Treorchy, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Walking along the front in Tenby last Saturday, I had been told by my mother that they go to a lovely hotel looking out to sea. They sit outside & have drink before going back home. I said to my wife ' that,s the hotel my parents go to, lets have a drink. Now this was ten past seven in the evening, there was TWO people in the bar! I asked for two drinks & was told' if your not a resident I cant serve you. I just looked at the guy & said fair enough, turned around & we walked out. I can understand that some of the people in Tenby last Saturday looked like they were a bit worst for drink! so could understand them not being served in a hotel, But I think my wife & I who are both in our fifties did not look like trouble. I just wonder at business people who complain when they close down because of like of custom.

Room Tip: I;d give it a miss
3 Thank Sheryl O
clarhot, Front Office Manager at The Clarence House Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
NO - that is completely untrue. We are restricted by our premises license on what hours we can sell alcohol to the public. We do not want to turn people away, but we HAVE TO.
cardiff
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Just back from great weekend at the clarence.The weekend we were there was a party weekend which catered for groups etc.There was 40 of us mature golfers and we had a great time.Penny and her staff went out there way to make sure all the groups had a lovely time.Breakfast was superb, and the 3 hour happy hour in the bar went down well too.We have already booked up for our next trip next july.Thanks to all at the clarence.

1 Thank CardiffSteve_G
clarhot, Front Office Manager at The Clarence House Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I booked this hotel in April 2014 for the Long Course Weekend in Tenby in July 2014. I wanted to get in early to ensure we had the facilities we wanted and it was close to all local amenities. When we arrived at 2.30pm, our room was not ready and we had to sit in the bar with ALL of our luggage including race bikes etc. After about an hour we were told we could collect our keys. I had booked a superior suite with a balcony overlooking the sea. In reality the room was on the third floor, no balcony, yes a sea view but....only half a room. It is the smallest room I have ever stayed in and to get all of my partners equipment in there, wetsuits, bikes etc was a joke. We spoke to several other holidaymakers who all said they had all booked a superior suite and got half a room. It must be some marketing baloney so be aware!!! We had been travelling for hours so the first thing I wanted was a cuppa. However, the kettle didn't work unless you held the switch down, not only inconvenient but dangerous too. I went down to reception and asked why I hadn't got a room with a balcony and told them about the kettle. They pointed out my booking was a superior suite with sea view and balcony rooms are only allocated if available??? Bizarre. Anyway, I asked them about the kettle and they were very apologetic, getting me a new one straight away, however, brand new out the box, I had to boil it several times before I could use the water! It was also about 30 degrees and no breeze through the half a window so I asked them if they had a fan and they got me one immediately which saved me for the three days we were there. The dining room was very old fashioned, waitress service. You have to sit at your allocated table and are given a choice from the menu. However, it is very manufactured and has no personal touch. Again, the staff were very helpful throughout the hotel but I was disappointed with how old and run down it felt I will not book this hotel again, in fact we had a much nicer stay at a local B&B so will do that next time.

Room Tip: I think you need to get a picture of what you are booking, having booked a superior suite with sea v...
1 Thank Sylvie M
I am very sorry that you found your stay with us disappointing. The Clarence House Hotel is a Grade 2, 2 star hotel and is not a purpose-built hotel like a Holiday Inn, where every room is exactly the same size and shape.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 23 July 2014

we had long wanted to experience a stay in a seaside hotel. we could not have picked better. the day we arrived the weather and view out over the sea reminded us of being in Greece. Clarence House is perfectly positioned for walking access to the town or the beaches. our room and the bar and dining and garden facilities were very comfortable. its a very welcoming place and you continue to feel at home for the whole stay. The meals were excellent. nicely cooked and presented and portion sizes just right . All the staff from Reception onward were very friendly and helpful. n the hotel is very special. there is a very real Welsh presence to the Clarence. Thank you everyone at Clarence House.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
clarhot, Front Office Manager at The Clarence House Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Worst hotel I have stay in the rooms are so small can't swing a cat in it .no draw space we had to live out off our suitcase bathroom no where to put your things .we were with a coach party.I went down.to complained we was shown 4 other rooms but all the same really. Terrible .in our party a few said their rooms is terrible.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at the Clarence House Hotel and that you felt you had to be so harsh in judging us. The hotel is a Grade 2, 2 star hotel, as a result all of our bedrooms are different shapes and sizes. As I explained to you, it was a busy week that week and I was limited in what rooms I could offer you to move to. I know that you wanted the sea view Premier Room, but I was unable to give it you as it had already been allocated to another coach. According to your organizer, the majority of your group had a wonderful time and thoroughly enjoyed themselves that week.
Swansea
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

we stayed for two nights and wish it was more! wonderful reception staff who were very helpful , lovely bar lads and entertainment was great! hewbert was a class act by himself! will defanitey be returning with our dog!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple