“Last minute booking”

Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Tenby
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Last minute booking”
Reviewed 15 August 2012

We phoned on the Wednesday evening on the offchance of a room for the Friday 10.8.12. Spoke to a lovely lady who said that there was a double room with a sea-view available. On arrival we were warmly greated by reception who give us our keys and told us general infomation.

Our room was lovely, clean and modern but very small. The ensuite bathroom clean, tidy but again veryy small. However there was a notice on the wall stating the the hotel was undergoing refurbishment and they would be eventually knocking 2 rooms into one which made quite a bit of sense to me.

It was a lovely evening and we decided to take a walk around Tenby and had a bar meal in one of the many pubs in the town centre. We arrived back about 1.30am to be met by a friendly night porter.

Breakfast was between 8am-10am. Met by a very friendly waitress who got us a table straight away. Breakfast was lovely - only bugbear being that the table was set in front of us but tablecloth not brushed of the crumbs from previous occupants.

Checkout was at 10.30am. I asked if it was possible if the hotel could hold my bag until it was time to catch the train home. There was no problem with with this at all.

Lovely last minute break and we will definitely be returning. Thank you.

Room Tip: Choose one of thr deluxe rooms on the sea front. I had a little look in one of the rooms being clea...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Andrea R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
midlands
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Stayed here for one night, couldn't really complain as got a good deal but wish I'd have paid for better room. Our room had clearly been divided into two from a larger room with a bay window making it small and hot as the window onlt opened a few inches. Dated and worn but ok for one night. Staff were nice though and breakfast very nice too. Don't park your car on the car park if your in a hurry as staff park their cars and block you in, we had to wait for about 20 mins for cars to be moved with no apology.
Nice position just needs a bit more TLC.

Room Tip: upgraded room
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2012

I booked the Giltar many months in advance with my partner and friends to celebrate a 50th birthday. On our arrival at 1.30pm we were told that the room would be ready at 2.30pm as they had been busy with departures. We were refused (with no explanation), the use of the bar while we waited.
We got back to the hotel at 3.30pm and were given the keys to a room on the 3rd floor. On our arrival a staff member was still in the process of cleaning the room and told us that the room was not ready!!...We were met with dirty dishes in the bathroom sink and a messy carpet.
I asked to speak to the Hotel Manager as I was now getting disatisfied with the service we were receiving and was met with an extremely rude, unapologetic attitude and a retort of "so you want to check out do you"? Due to the fact that we were with friends we ended up staying at the hotel but we would NEVER RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL. The staff desperately need customer service training....and the very bland room needed updating.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Dawn R
SWindon
Reviewed 7 August 2012

We stayed in a twin bed room for four nights bed and breakfast and have booked to come back again at the same time next year
The staff were friendly and helpful and made us feel at home throughout our stay.
Breakfast was a good selection of quality products with the full cooked breakfast being very fulfilling .
Our room was a split sea view room which made it a bit cramped but it was clean and comfortable. We have upgraded to a premier room for next year to give us more space and a larger bathroom
The stay at the Giltar was an enjoyable experience and we are looking forward to coming back.

• Stayed August 2012
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2012

We stayed recently at the Giltar, and had a good holiday.Our room was the big disappointment we had a room or half a room ,as it had been divided in two from a larger room,it was so small we needed passing places to move around and it was most inconvenient regarding mirrors and sockets. However there were lots of good points,the food especially the breakfast,was very good,and the staff were very helpful. My husband and I were on a coach holiday and I suppose we couldnt expect to get the best rooms ,which I did manage to see, and were really lovely, but after reading the good reviews of this hotel I felt rather deflated when we got to our room, especially as I had paid for seaview which was just a part seaview due to the dividing of the room.

Room Tip: Avoid room 213 if you require a room that you can move around in.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2012

The hotel have lots of notices apologising for inconvenience whilst the refurbishment is going on, I never saw any evidence of it happening while we were there. The bar was lovely and brand new so obviously the refurbish has already happened there, our room looked kind of done but the toilet roll holder was at a very funny angle and the bath tap ran onto your feet whilst the shower was going. The lounges were very old fashioned the furniture was ancient having said that it was clean. The Hotel staff were friendly but not overly efficient or taking note of the clientele, I asked for sweeteners to go in my coffee the first morning of our stay I never got them, so I got my own out the bottom of my handbag when it was evident the coffee would be cold before the waitress would return to our table also in the bar I constantly requested more ice in my vodka over the 2 night's we stayed and none of the persons serving in the bar cottoned on and gave extra upon pouring.
The reason for our stay was my Nephew's wedding which was a lovely day. The food was great, the choice of Pate or Creamed vegetable soup to start both tasted good though the piping of the pate was a mistake in my opinion. The main courses were fantastic, Thick sliced roast beef cooked medium to suit most tastes, chicken breast win pan gravy or creamed sauce. Deconstructed profiteroles or fresh fruit salad for dessert Mmmm.
Strangely the member of Hotel staff who handed over to My Nephew and Best msn for the speeches didn't give them the microphone and it was difficult to hear. So much so someone towards the back asked for the air conditioning to be switched off as it was further impairing this, then it got unbearably warm, so I was glad when the speeches were over.
All in all a good hotel that I would recommend though slightly overpriced in my opinion, more attention to detail required.

• Stayed July 2012
Scunthorpe
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We had a wonderful stay at the Giltar Hotel in Tenby. The owners were very welcoming, the staff were so helpful and the food was excellent.

We had a front room over looking the sea and even the weather was kind to us

Room Tip: It is well worth asking for a sea view and there is a lift so don't bother if it's not on th...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank JENNYScunthorpe
Malcolm B, Owner at Giltar Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2012
Thank you for your lovely review. We're glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We'll pass on your message to the staff. Hope to see you back at the hotel soon.