“Learn from my error....dont visit here.”
Review of Normandie Inn

Normandie Inn
Normandie Inn
Ranked #22 of 23 Hotels in Tenby
“Learn from my error....dont visit here.”
Reviewed 31 May 2013

My family and I visited this pub for a meal to celebrate my 31st birthday. The signs outside promised home cooked food with excellent service..the appeal was obvious. After waiting 20 mins for a table we were finally seated and we placed our food order. Over th3 next 45 mins my family and I waited patiently for our food to arrive..when it didnt my father approached the bar maid to enquire the reason for the delay..the order is in the kitchen and your food will be served shortly. After a further 15mins there was no update so I approached the bar...the same bar maid snapped that she had already provided us with an update...My patience had run out and I retorted with I want an answer as to when the food will be served as we had an eight and two year old with us. The bar grabbed an order sheet and asked me to repeat our food order...I refused and demanded an immediate response from the Manager. Within minutes a man approached our table and advised they had lost our order and had spent the last 40 mins looking for it.....stupidity and moronity personified. In recompense we were offered a full refund with "a load of alcoholic drinks" thrown in....not really befitting a family eh? What a lousy excuse of basic customer service. Steer well clear.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Welshlady82

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Kent
Reviewed 9 April 2013

My partner and I travelled to Tenby for a well deserved long weekend. The location of the Normandie is perfect, very central, but the nightclub downstairs (cleverly disguised as a restaurant during the day) went on until 1am Sunday morning at such a loud level that it felt like we had the speakers in our room. Friday night had been loud but not as bad as Saturday. The music went off at 1am but the revellers outside (drunken youngsters) didn't move on until nearer 4am - they spent the next 3 hours outside calling each other, and generally keeping us awake for the whole night. There was no one to call from our room as it really is a pub with rooms rather than a hotel so we just had to lie there and wait for the morning! Big shame as we liked the place, the room was good and the breakfast was lovely. Not really fair of the management to rent rooms out to guests when the place is turned into a thumping nightclub with no regard for music volume at night.

Room Tip: go somewhere quieter...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank D65Kent

Travellers are raving about these Tenby hotels

Reviewed 23 January 2013

After having read the reviews I was doubtful about staying at the Normandie, but It was recommended by a friend. They serve great pub food,the rooms were spacious and clean, I understand they have recently been refurbished! yes it can be noisy on a weekend but then it is a lively pub in the centre of town. I can't imagine booking a place like the Normandie for my honeymoon or taking my children there but if you want a fun few nights away it's a great place to stay.

• Stayed January 2013
Caerphilly, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2012

nice spacious room' lovely friendly staff ,breakfast lovely BUT easily the loudest thumping banging disturbing music from the bar downstairs plus the screaming and shouting from the street outside till 4am i wouldnt recommend you book this hotel if you actually intend on sleeping

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2012

Ive seen cleaner carpet in derelect houses than was on the stairs .Was scared to put hand on bannister rail it was filthy same as walls. Bedroom furniture would have been ok after a good scrub downwith sugar soap, it was so sticky. Dressing table stool was coverd in long blonde hairs, so was carpet.I am sure the room had not been vaccumed for weeks. The bathroom window had clear glass in it , not frosted and didnt even have net curtain up to it. The noise was horrendous ,unable to sleep until the place closed in the early hours because there were no handles on the windows to be able to shut out some of the noise.The curtains were ripped and hanging off the rail.
Breakfast was served between 9 and 10am we were told but when we arrived a few minutes after 9oclock there was no sign of life anywhere. Then a man came in and a few minutes later told us the cook had not turned up but he would do breakfast for us.
I could go on for quite some time about this place if i had more time. Haven`t even mentioned the bar area. I just do not understand why or how it is still being advertised on the internet and at such outrageous rates. Does no one inspect these places anymore. I would have thought there should be strict regulations.Goodness knows what our foreign visitors must think. Be warned dont fall for the photos, steer well clear, its filthy.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Dorothy W
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2012

This hotel is to be avoided at all costs. You stick to the floor it is so dirty, the stairway up to the rooms smells. The carpets in the bedroom had not been vacuumed at all. The tiles were dropping off the wall in the bathroom and the toliet seat was broken. The noise from people leaving the nightclub went on until 4am in the morning at which point the seagulls start followed by the dustbin men, which meant we got no sleep at all. There was no-one in charge on the premises after the pub closed at 11pm and we were informed we had to be in before the pub closed or wouldn't be able to get in and that we would be locked in until 9am next morning. The next morning at 7am we found that the outside door was open and had been all night. Very secure! The breakfast was a complete shambles - no milk for hot drinks, one cold cafetiere of coffee, no tea. I requested tea and was brought a teabag floating in a cup of luke warm water. The cooked breakfast was barely warm with just a slice of toast thrown on top of the food. There was no marmalade or jam for the toast. Although glasses were provided there was no juice to put in them. At £85 per night I felt extremely ripped off! We had booked for five nights but needless to say only stayed the one.

Room Tip: Don't stay at the Normandie
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Jacqueline T
Reviewed 22 August 2012 via mobile

Stayed in family room number 5, the welcome was ok, stairs carpet to room really dirty, room itself was tired and shabby. No curtain on bathroom window overlooking rooftops. Plughole dirty, paint peeling off ceiling, could not flush toilet as handle loose, plug hole in wash basin loose so filled up with water when washing hands. One of the curtains in bedroom hanging down, net curtain in bedroom black with dirt. No throws on beds only old blankets, carpet in room not clean, cracks in the ceiling and walls. The room needed to be cleaned and painted. Breakfast was okay but the whole place needed to be cleaned, table still sticky from drinks the night before. Rate for room 95.00 which was good for Tenby but I could not stay for 2 nights as I would not even shower in the place it was so dirty. I had sent a cheque to pay for 1 night in advance, when leaving I was told that there definitely was no cheque and they would charge my credit card if I didn't pay. I had to go to Natwest in Tenby to get copy of the cheque which had been cashed a week earlier!!(really did not want to waste time doing this on holiday) no apology, for state of room or mistake with payment. Very disappointed with the whole experience Tenby is a great destination for families, but avoid this inn.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family