“One night only!”

Taormina Guesthouse
Taormina Guesthouse
Ranked #47 of 53 Tenby B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Booked this through Booking.com and would agree with all of the other reviews to be honest?
I was ringing and ringing and ringing to confirm time we could arrive and when there was no answer I was honestly beginning to think it had closed ?
Lovely lovely welcome on arrival.i had specifically said I needed a low floor due to severe back problems and was told , oh sorry people must ask for a low room, and when I checked my confirmation, I had!
The reviews said this was " luxury', well it most definitely wasn't! Yes, the room was clean and fresh but we had the attic room the last one in the eaves of the house with one minute window that we couldn't reach to open in this tiny room it was boiling hot.a fan was supplied, but this was so noisy, we couldn't leave it on to sleep.
We had the room with the tiny dark , old, old dated shower cubicle, the toilet handle needed to be coaxed to flush, and the sink, yes it was in the actual bedroom due to no space in the actual bathroom. The extractor fan was caked in dust and cobwebs.
Location was ok, not exactly as central as I would have liked but acceptable. Bedding was nice, clean and fresh, plenty of tea, coffee etc.
The worse thing was having to get up those 6/7 flights of stairs at all times and it absolutely creased me with my back having to physically pull myself up those stairs.
Breakfast was ok, basic, hot, cooked nicely, the poor lady running it seemed to be responsible for all the cooking and cleaning and everything else, which would explain why she couldn't answer the phone!
I asked for wifi access and was told , sorry, it doesn't work in your room because it's so high so I can't comment how good that was?
All in all, an ok stay but the price on the entrance for a double room was £15 less than what I'd paid and when I asked how I was told that's the price for a single person in a double room but the sign definitely did not say that.

Room Tip: Check and double check if low room is needed for poor mobility
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Three of us stayed for one night before a conference the next day. When two of us arrived mid-afternoon it took several attempts at ringing the bell before the male owner eventually appeared. We had three separate rooms - as I use a walking stick I was offered one on the ground floor which overlooked a small courtyard - a little dark but quiet & otherwise OK. The other two were given rooms on the first and second floors respectively.
The bed was comfortable, bedside lights worked (important in my view!) and a hairdryer provided. There was also plenty of coffee, tea & milk as well as biscuits + toiletries in the bathroom. The bathroom itself was rather dreary with an ancient curling bathmat in the shower, but the shower worked well enough and was perfectly adequate for one night.
One of us had a problem with her kettle not working - it turned out that there was an unexpected and unseen floor switch which had been switched off, something which should have been checked before our arrival.
Breakfast was very good - particularly plenty of fresh fruit including delicious ripe melon and strawberries as well as lots of different cereals, yoghurt etc. The cooked breakfast was fine - pretty standard ingredients but well cooked.
I agree with some of the other comments that the decor is a bit tired with too many plastic flowers & the like but I had a good night's sleep and a better breakfast than I had been expecting and though I wouldn't want to stay for more than a couple of nights, I'd happily stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Horrible place, freezing cold, smells terrible, couldn't eat the breakfast looked and tasted discussing.. Cereals were out of date!! Bed sheets weren't clean! wouldn't have stayed there for free..let alone for £65!!!! would not advise anyone to go there! Overall just a really really really TERRIBLE place to stay.. Would NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER EVER stay there again!!

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 17 November 2013

My fiancé and I have just returned from a weekend in Tenby and we have really enjoyed our stay in the Taormina Guesthouse. As others have said before, yes - it is a little dated but we found our room to be spotless and very comfortable so the decor didn't really matter. We had a very warm welcome on arrival and were always greeted in a friendly and enthusiastic way. The room had plenty of tea and coffee if you fancied a cuppa with some biscuits they provided, a tv and hair dryer. The location is great- just a short walk from the beach and on to town. It is near enough to walk and not too near to be disturbed by any noise at night. The breakfast was tasty and served fast. All in all I would most certainly go back and would also recommend this place to anyone visiting Tenby (but would point out that anyone who would struggle with stairs should ask for a lower floor if possible)

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank oliviacharig
Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a night last week with our child. There was only two downsides for us, the first one was we were right on top in the loft room which was a massive effort with heavy suitcase. It was a nice room but because the bathroom was so small the sink was in our bedroom. Never seen that in any hotels ive stayed in before and ive stayed in quite a few. The owner was lovely and very welcoming. The breakfast was standard. The location was perfect. A two min walk to the lovely beach (on a sunny day it feels like ure abroad) and a 5 min walk to the town centre which has a superb buzz about it. We parked just round the corner where it was £5 to park all night, only downside was you couldnt leave the car park and return but with all the things to do in Tenby you wouldnt need to leave. Value for hotel was pretty good. We payed £80 for a family room which had one double bed and a single bed, there was also a colapsable bed in the corner of the room for any additional person ti stay. Another huge plus was they had given us an air con fan whuch was lovely of them. Overall, this place is a must if staying in Tenby. Will deffinately be staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights in August 2013 with husband and 3 year old daughter.

On arrival, the female owner (Sue?) was most welcoming and friendly, and helped us carry our things to our room. The decor on landings and stairs is very dated, however we found our family room (room 2) to be very bright, airy and clean. Both the single and double bed were very comfy, and we loved the table and chairs in the window with a view down to the sea. Plenty of tea, coffee and biscuits, but unsure if these get replenished as we didn't use any. Shower room was very clean, slightly more dated than the bedroom, but the shower was fantastic with plenty of hot water.

Breakfast consisted of help yourself continental (cereals, fruit, jams, juices) then a breakfast cooked to order which consisted of sausage, bacon, tomato half, mushrooms, beans and fried egg. Toast and tea/coffee are brought to your table. The cooked breakfast wasn't huge but what you get is cooked well and tasty. The gentleman owner (sorry don't know his name) came out after cooking breakfast and was also friendly and chatty.

Overall, this is a good value hotel with friendly owners, good food, slightly dated but clean. It is located in a street just off the seafront, and will definitely be our choice of hotel next time we are in Tenby. Thanks for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

we stayed here and found the rooms so clean and the bed was really comfy. if you want to sleep, eat here and go out all day long then this place is perfect. the only minor downsides are the things missing, such as info go your room about check-in out times, breakfast etc. the new owners also need to improve some areas by modernising the communal decor and consider using the breakfast room as a lounge for guests.

pros:
very clean and comfy
accommadating lovely owners
lovely breakfast
great quiet location
near to car park so you can leave sandy beach stuff go your car

cons:
old fashioned, felt a bit like a care home at times
breakfast was 8-9 which meant no lie ins on holiday :-(
family room a bit of a squeeze for 4, hence wishing we could use the breakfast room

• Stayed: July 2013