“Not Really an Hotel.”

Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in Tenby
Molde
“Not Really an Hotel.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2013

This is a guest house at best. It is a Victorian building and has been converted into a bed and breakfast. Be prepared to negotiate some very steep stairs in a very narrow staircase as all the rooms are on the first floor & up. There's no lift and no-one to help you carry your luggage up the many stairs.

We arrived & temporarily parked right outside the B&B to ask about parking. Was told we could park in the nearby car park which was quite expensive. So, to the check-in. We were very tired after a long journey from Norway, but that didn't stop me getting a lecture by the landlord about Tenby's history & how it had been oppressed by the English. Actually, I could have cared less because I was so tired but that didn't seem to matter to our host - I thought I'd gone back to school such was the school master type lecture we were given. I am sure he was trying his best but it's better to let people get their room sorted out first then let them know about the town.

The B&B was cleaned and looked spotless. However, we had reason to move something in our room which revealed a thick layer of dust - not healthy. The room was small but adequate with en-suite which was tiny. There were notices everywhere saying don't do this or don't do that.

There's a communal lounge if you like to be social. Be warned this hotel is child friendly meaning you will take second best if you have no kids with you.

Breakfast was OK - hot and edible but it was controlled too strictly to enjoy. Our hostesses early morning, sing-song banter was a little too much at times for me.

Overall, there are a lot worse places to stay but this doesn't deserve to be the No1 hotel in Tenby. I am sure if you stay here with small kids, you'll get the Rolls Royce treatment (at the expense of others) and that is where many of the shining reviews come from. You can't really rate this as a hotel even though the Welsh Tourist Board have. The lack of facilities for one. should exclude it.

Room Tip: Try not to get lumbered on the second floor unless you are luggage free and feel like a workout!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EngelskRikky

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Market Lavington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

We stayed here the weekend of Feb 10th, and was not disapointed. The room was large, and very very clean, and nothing was too much trouble, from great advice on what to see locally, to a plentyful excellant breakfast, provided by friendly hosts.
Don't get me wrong, this isn't a 5* hotel, but it is an excellant welcoming clean place to stay within a reasonable budget, where you really are made welcome. With both the town and beach less than a minutes walk away.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tedosborn
Worcester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2013

All I was doing was phoning to clarify prices (after lack of a prompt response to my email), only to be greeted by Pam who seemed unable to listen without talking, and unable to comprehend that all I wanted was an email with a price for a different room. Additionally she didn't believe that they had an example tariff on their website until I pointed out the specific web page. Most strange, perhaps she was just having an 'off' evening....

Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank garyepotter
Newport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2012 via mobile

A big thank you to Pam and Brian (and the whole team) for a very special first holiday for Edward (5 weeks old!). Superb and thoughtful hosts (even though we were late leaving, sorry!), providing a nicely made up cot and complementary wet wipes and nappy sacks (which they disposed of, via reception, with a smile every time!). Breakfast was superb, with the biggest supply of fruit/herbal teas I've ever seen!
We'll definitely be back soon, Lee, Charlotte and Edward

Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2012 via mobile

Having booked the hotel for a birthday treat for my partner and having never stayed myself in Tenby I was very pleased with the decision to book here for 3 nights purely on reviews made on trip advisor. The rooms were clean, tidy and fresh towels were provided everyday if required. The hosts were very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was good with plenty of choice, loving herbal teas myself I was very impressed with the large selection. The cost in my opinion was value for money, with a good location near to the beach, shopping area etc, there are endless restaurants, cafes and pubs. Would definately recommend the Southcliffe.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Djmjh
Wales, UK.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2012

It's right next to transition/registration/expo and a 3 min walk from the multi-storey car park. Kept bike in their secure garage - very easy. Pam and Brian the owners are fab - can't do enough to make the stay very easy for competitors and family. We had a family room - ideal. Early breakfast on race day - no problem. Special requests (eg soya milk) totally catered for. All in all -look no further. On race morning, because of its great location, I was able to get up at a reasonable time, have breakfast - walk 2 mins to transition to check the bike, come back to the hotel (toilet/wetsuit on etc) say bye to the family and step outside to join the procession of athletes walking down to the beach start. Just what you need. They have good wifi at the hotel - so the family can track the event live through the day. It's a 3 min walk to the centre of town and the run course. The bike course passes outside! Can't thank them enough for being great hosts - keep it up.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank tywitops
Saundersfoot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

My wife & I booked in to the Southcliff Hotel for a long weekend based on reviews we read on Trip Advisor, most of these reviews are very accurate.
Our room was spotless and I could see our car in the public car park opposite from our window.
There was complementary tea & coffee renewed daily.
The breakfast was lovely, I could probably have eaten two but that's just because I'm a greedy pig.
Pam & Brian were excellent hosts and were super helpful.
We would definitely have no hesitation recommending the Southcliff to anyone.
Tony & Becky