The Imperial Tenby Hotel
US$154
US$181
US$201
  • Breakfast included
All reviewssea viewshearings hotelsshearings holidayhalf boardpremier roomst catherinesthe cliffoverlooking the beachcaldey islandlimited parkingpublic roomssome tlcwindow seatroom was largesingle roomexcellent positionfantastic views
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Spent a short end of summer break here, came by coach on a shearings holiday.Was really pleasantly suprised at the whole experience, would definately recomend this holiday. The hotel is in the process of refurbishment and as it is such a nice hotel in a brilliant location it will be a destination we will return to. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, i lost my cardigan and they bothered to look for it and return it to me. We had a lovely room which led out to the balcony with magnificant views of the beautiful beaches and small islands, however the less mobile may have difficulty getting down to the beach.The sea was shallow and warm with lots of families, including me, swimming and relaxing on the golden sands.This hotel is in an ideal location in the small town of Tenby with many small shops, pubs and places to eat good food, try the Hope and anchor for good local fish dishes, and just loved a pretty little gift shop, the jewellery junkee in frog street. Tenby is a friendly, quiet little town and soooo clean, cant wait to return and i would like to check out the zoo next time, so may need to stay longer.

2  Thank glenis g
Simon M, General Manager at The Imperial Tenby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Many thanks for such a great review at your recent stay at the Imperial Hotel in Tenby. We are all very happy that you had a great short break and enjoyed the local area as well as the services of the Imperial. I shall certainly pass on your kind comments to all the team and I hope it wont be too long till you return for a longer stay with us so you will have enough time to visit the zoo and all the wonderful places around Tenby. Regards, Simon

Reviewed 31 August 2013

had a relaxing time at the hotel food and staff excellent

even though the room we had was a little bit of the tired side and the bath room was really for a midget to use toilet due to it being position tight to bath

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank srwhit1962

Thank you for taking the time to write a review at your recent stay at the Imperial Hotel. It´s great to hear you think our hotel is good value for money. I have passed on your lovely comments to all the staff and I hope to see you back soon. Regards, Simon

Reviewed 29 August 2013

Arrived at the Imperial Hotel in Tenby for a three night bank holiday break after a six hour drive from Bodelwyddan in North Wales and were welcomed – sorry wrong word – were processed by what I can only assume is an experimental male android at reception. We were read what I assume was a set script for arrivals at very high speed with the robot stumbling over the words so much it was mainly unintelligible. The lack of human interaction was rather unfortunate. I would suggest that this experiment has failed and that without serious reprogramming it may be better to return to having a human being on reception. If you get this android you will be able to tell as it has a piece of hair glued down the centre of its head presumably so that the engineers can get at the circuitry via the side panels.

We had booked and paid the extra for a sea view room and that is what we got but oh dear was it far removed from any of the brochure pictures. The maximum width of the room was about 10 ft (just over 3 metres) with a very small window. A real case of mis-selling on the part of Shearings.
The room was on the 4th floor which appeared from the outside to be the smallest part of the hotel so if booking try to avoid that floor.

Sitting on the bed proved an immediate pain with a wooden cross strut delivering a painful blow to my rear end. The bed was well past it’s sell by date and should have been scrapped many months ago.

Well that’s the negatives dealt with so moving on to better things: Tenby is an attractive resort and this hotel puts you in the heart of things. There is an excellent sun terrace to the rear of the hotel overlooking the sea and as we were fortunate enough to have good weather we made good use of that area.

Food in the hotel was generally good but do avoid the scrambled egg for breakfast. It would appear that someone has found a supply of WW2 powdered egg or similar. My wife ordered it on the first morning and it arrived grey in colour and was totally inedible. Other than that though the food was good.

Staff in general were very pleasant, with the exception as previously mentioned. What a shame we were not checked in by the lady on reception who was extremely charming.
There was entertainment in the hotel on one night with a very good lady singer called Carol Rees-Jones. Night time entertainment outside the hotel is rather difficult to find for us older age group as all the pubs/bars are crammed with youngsters having fun. Unfortunately we no longer quite fit into that group 8-)

We would recommend a trip to Caldey Island while you are in Tenby. It is owned by Cistercian monks and is a lovely place to spend some time. Caldey lies about 3 miles offshore so you get a nice little boat trip as well.

Finally a word of warning if you are a light sleeper. The noise of the seagulls will probably wake you at dawn or just before. In fact we had one gull that came and tapped on our window with its beak (I assume that someone had fed it previously) which was quite amusing during the day but not quite so amusing at about 5.00am.

Overall we had a good break in Tenby and certainly wouldn’t let an android or a dodgy bed spoil our enjoyment. The break was excellent value for money and we do not actually expect a five star experience for the price paid.

Oh and we were checked out by the android but I think that its speech circuit had almost completely burnt out as it could hardly say a word.

Room Tip: Avoid the 4th floor.
2  Thank Dagetu
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Visited Tenby for a day trip. On trying to decide where to eat , I suggested to my wife why not try the Imperial Hotel for lunch, as we’d visited it a good few years ago and remembered the view from the narrow balcony being quite spectacular.

From the outside the hotel looks a little tired and the entrance could be more attractive. On entering you don’t get a very good impression of a welcoming reception area, which is a shame as this hotel could be superb. Signage could also be improved, as we were trying to find the old balcony area. We eventually found a large terrace which had been added over the years. This terrace is excellent and without doubt probably the best location for a meal with a view in Tenby.

I ordered food and drinks at the bar and we took our seats on the terrace. The terrace could do with having a few more tables and chairs and would be greatly enhanced with glass balustrade, as the view when sitting down is obstructed by the railings.

The food took a while , but was served by a pleasant Lithuanian young man. Unfortunately the food wasn’t very hot, particularly my cheese omelette. I should have taken it back.

I don’t normally write reviews but felt so strongly about how good this hotel could be, I write it in the hope of visiting again to see some changes. This hotel deserves proper recognition.

Room Tip: Only had food here
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks for taking the time to write a review at your day trip at the Imperial. I am pleased you enjoy the wonderful views, arguably the best in Tenby. We strive to upgrade all our public areas and provide our guests with a good value for money.We have an in house refurbishment programme and try to do this where and when we can.I hope to see you again in the future and I am positve you will see a remarkable improvement. Regards, Simon

Reviewed 27 August 2013

Stayed for a two night break and found the hotel and staff excellent. The room was one of the best
clean and the view was absolutely fantastic, looking over the south beach and further to Caldy island. The food choice was very good and also the entertainment. Parked the car at the multi- storey car park which is only a five minute walk from the hotel [no spaces left at hotel] and only cost two pounds for twenty four hours. We had such a good break we are considering returning very shortly.

Room Tip: If you can ask for room three which is excellent, roomy and the view is out of this world.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your comments of your recent stay at The Imperial Hotel Tenby. I agree that the hotel is situated in a stunning location with excellent views offering good value for money. I am glad you enjoy your stay and I hope to see you in the near future. Regards, Simon