“Disappointing”

The Imperial Tenby Hotel
Ranked #18 of 23 Hotels in Tenby
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Booked a four night stay with half board. The hotel is in a great position and has enormous potential. However, on arrival we almost turned around and went home, because of the dismal reception area and general ambience of the public areas. Brightened up when checked out the room (paid slightly more for a superior room, but this did not have a seaview). The room was well decorated, very clean and with more than adequate amenities. Breakfast was fine, although the choice was somewhat limited and portions rather small, although one could always ask for more and this did not seem to be a problem. Table d'hote dinner was rather poor in choice and quality and because of this we decided to eat out two nights. Whoever heard of serving lasagne with boiled potatoes? The dining room and lounge are quite well decorated but because the lighting is so dim and the entrance areas so shabby, the atmosphere is spoiled. All the staff were very helpful and I feel rather sorry for them having to work in such a dark and shabby environment. I believe the hotel caters mainly for coach parties, who seemed to be quite happy, but I would think quite hard before travelling to the hotel by car (very limited parking).

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank simbasmum2013
Simon M, General Manager at The Imperial Tenby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review. We have a rolling programme of refurbishment and more rooms and public areas have been plan to be refurbish. I and the team we will investigate all comments made about the food. Tenby is a great place to explore lots to see and do specially with the location of the hotel, I hope to see you again soon. Regards, Simon

Reviewed 26 September 2013

Very efficient staff, especially the staff in the dining room. Worked very hard, but were always pleasant and helpful. Food also very good. The only disappointment was that we were never allocated a seat by the window in the dining room overlooking the sea - we were promised one on a rota system, but this never worked. Very comfortable bedroom and updated bathroom done well considering the old building. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Simon M, General Manager at The Imperial Tenby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review at your recent stay at the Imperial. It is always nice to read nice reviews about the staff and the food. The really appreciate guests acknowledge their hard work so I will pass your comments to them, specially to the dining room staff. I am sorry to hear about the seating by the window as we always use a rota system for the same reason. I am glad you enjoy the service provide by the staff and your stay in general . Hope to see you soon in the near future. Regards, Simon

Reviewed 21 September 2013

Stayed here on a self drive 4 night break in the middle of August - it cost us £225 each for bed, breakfast and evening meal. The hotel is an older style building built on a spectacular spot right on the cliff edge of Tenby beach. Like so many similar buildings in similar English seaside resorts it obviously does not generate the income to reinvest in huge upgrading programmes. The hotel has a confusing layout and there are quite a few stairs in some areas. There is only one small lift which causes bad tempers and complaints when a coach party arrive although the staff do their utmost to cope with the situation.
Our room was on the 4th floor overlooking St Florence Parade with a good glimpse of the sea (we did not pay extra for a sea view as we spend as much time as possible out). The room, which was large with a big bathroom and plenty of wardrobe space was comfortable, clean and very acceptable for the price - if a little dated. The old bathroom windows did rattle a bit during one night of high wind and rain - but it was shocking weather.
We paid £5 a night for reserved parking right at the front on the hotel which was very handy.
All the staff, without exception, we found to be very pleasant and helpful.
The town of Tenby itself is lovely, with beautiful beaches and a very interesting harbour area.
It is a warren of narrow streets with a really good variety of shops/restaurants/pubs all within an easy walking area close to the hotel.
We found the menus had a reasonable variety although the portions maybe could have been a bit bigger. My husband chose the salad option a couple of times which were rather an odd uninspiring offering with pickled onions and gherkins (which were so sharp as to be inedible).
The bar prices were reasonable but the bar areas were always very quiet. However there were other hotels/pubs/clubs very close by advertising much cheaper drinks and open to non residents and non members (i.e. £2.30 a pint for lager/beer) so plenty of places to chose from if you like a drink.
The bus station is very close by and we caught the bus to Saundersfoot one afternoon which is well worth a visit - if only to watch the children crabbing off the harbour wall.
All in all we had a very pleasant stay and consider we had very good value for money. We would certainly return.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for taking the time to post a nice review of your recent staying at the Imperial Hotel. We are very privileged to be located in such a beautiful area with fantastic views. It is nice to read that you enjoy your stay and that you find our staff helpful and attentive to your needs. I shall pass on all your wonderful comments to all members of the team, as they really appreciate when guest do acknowledge them. Our Hotel does strive to offer good value for money and it is pleasing that you felt we delivered this to you.We hope it wont be long till you return.Regards, Simon

Reviewed 16 September 2013

I booked a weekend in Tenby at the Imperial Hotel.
We checked in on the 17th August.
I have visited many hotels over the years in both Tenby and Saundesfoot and with out doubt this was the worst Hotel room I have stayed in.
I paid over £270 for a two night stay which is the most I have ever spent on a hotel in that area,
The room was in a very poor state and I have stayed in Travelodge rooms for £29 a night that have been cleaner and more comfortable
The poor level of maintenance and upkeep of the room spoilt what was supposed to be a great weekend away for my wife and I.
There were
Stains on the carpets,
Paint flaking off the walls and skirting boards.
The radiators did not work.
The towel radiator was held to the pipe with duck tape.
There was masking tape holding the two bath panels together.
The window had dry rot so there was draught and it kept no noise from outside at bay.
No wheels on the bed (if was being held up with a length of 4x2 timber)
The toilet seat had chips in it and stains that would not be acceptable in a public toilet.

I went to reception to complain on two occasions to two different duty managers and I was told by both that the Hotel was fully booked so they could not move us to another room. They did not offer to come and look at the room, offered no apology, or offer to accommodate us in any way at all.
I am 42 years old and this is the first time I have ever complained about anything. I have attached photographs of the room so that you can see that I am not exaggerating about any of these things.
I complained on Aug 20th and sent them the photos of the room and the situation is still not resolved
It is the worst standard of room I have ever been in

Richard & Lisa Shore
Abertillery, Gwent

34  Thank richard s
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Spent a short end of summer break here, came by coach on a shearings holiday.Was really pleasantly suprised at the whole experience, would definately recomend this holiday. The hotel is in the process of refurbishment and as it is such a nice hotel in a brilliant location it will be a destination we will return to. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, i lost my cardigan and they bothered to look for it and return it to me. We had a lovely room which led out to the balcony with magnificant views of the beautiful beaches and small islands, however the less mobile may have difficulty getting down to the beach.The sea was shallow and warm with lots of families, including me, swimming and relaxing on the golden sands.This hotel is in an ideal location in the small town of Tenby with many small shops, pubs and places to eat good food, try the Hope and anchor for good local fish dishes, and just loved a pretty little gift shop, the jewellery junkee in frog street. Tenby is a friendly, quiet little town and soooo clean, cant wait to return and i would like to check out the zoo next time, so may need to stay longer.

2  Thank glenis g
Simon M, General Manager at The Imperial Tenby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Many thanks for such a great review at your recent stay at the Imperial Hotel in Tenby. We are all very happy that you had a great short break and enjoyed the local area as well as the services of the Imperial. I shall certainly pass on your kind comments to all the team and I hope it wont be too long till you return for a longer stay with us so you will have enough time to visit the zoo and all the wonderful places around Tenby. Regards, Simon

Reviewed 31 August 2013

had a relaxing time at the hotel food and staff excellent

even though the room we had was a little bit of the tired side and the bath room was really for a midget to use toilet due to it being position tight to bath

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank srwhit1962

Thank you for taking the time to write a review at your recent stay at the Imperial Hotel. It´s great to hear you think our hotel is good value for money. I have passed on your lovely comments to all the staff and I hope to see you back soon. Regards, Simon

Reviewed 29 August 2013

Arrived at the Imperial Hotel in Tenby for a three night bank holiday break after a six hour drive from Bodelwyddan in North Wales and were welcomed – sorry wrong word – were processed by what I can only assume is an experimental male android at reception. We were read what I assume was a set script for arrivals at very high speed with the robot stumbling over the words so much it was mainly unintelligible. The lack of human interaction was rather unfortunate. I would suggest that this experiment has failed and that without serious reprogramming it may be better to return to having a human being on reception. If you get this android you will be able to tell as it has a piece of hair glued down the centre of its head presumably so that the engineers can get at the circuitry via the side panels.

We had booked and paid the extra for a sea view room and that is what we got but oh dear was it far removed from any of the brochure pictures. The maximum width of the room was about 10 ft (just over 3 metres) with a very small window. A real case of mis-selling on the part of Shearings.
The room was on the 4th floor which appeared from the outside to be the smallest part of the hotel so if booking try to avoid that floor.

Sitting on the bed proved an immediate pain with a wooden cross strut delivering a painful blow to my rear end. The bed was well past it’s sell by date and should have been scrapped many months ago.

Well that’s the negatives dealt with so moving on to better things: Tenby is an attractive resort and this hotel puts you in the heart of things. There is an excellent sun terrace to the rear of the hotel overlooking the sea and as we were fortunate enough to have good weather we made good use of that area.

Food in the hotel was generally good but do avoid the scrambled egg for breakfast. It would appear that someone has found a supply of WW2 powdered egg or similar. My wife ordered it on the first morning and it arrived grey in colour and was totally inedible. Other than that though the food was good.

Staff in general were very pleasant, with the exception as previously mentioned. What a shame we were not checked in by the lady on reception who was extremely charming.
There was entertainment in the hotel on one night with a very good lady singer called Carol Rees-Jones. Night time entertainment outside the hotel is rather difficult to find for us older age group as all the pubs/bars are crammed with youngsters having fun. Unfortunately we no longer quite fit into that group 8-)

We would recommend a trip to Caldey Island while you are in Tenby. It is owned by Cistercian monks and is a lovely place to spend some time. Caldey lies about 3 miles offshore so you get a nice little boat trip as well.

Finally a word of warning if you are a light sleeper. The noise of the seagulls will probably wake you at dawn or just before. In fact we had one gull that came and tapped on our window with its beak (I assume that someone had fed it previously) which was quite amusing during the day but not quite so amusing at about 5.00am.

Overall we had a good break in Tenby and certainly wouldn’t let an android or a dodgy bed spoil our enjoyment. The break was excellent value for money and we do not actually expect a five star experience for the price paid.

Oh and we were checked out by the android but I think that its speech circuit had almost completely burnt out as it could hardly say a word.

Room Tip: Avoid the 4th floor.