“Short Break”

The Imperial Tenby Hotel
Ranked #18 of 23 Hotels in Tenby
Reviewed 10 October 2013

A little disappointed on arrival, room not what I thought I'd booked, however!!! Thanks to the receptionist, Sophie and the manager Simon, this was very quickly resolved to our 100% satisfaction. We had an extremely nice room with a brilliant sea view (which I do like as I rise very early and like to read; what better place than in a ten foot bay window with a view of the ocean). We did visit out of season and I do know Tenby, so did not expect it to be tip top for facilities and decided to eat in the hotel restaurant. A very wise choice. The restaurant, bars and lounge were perfect for me and mine, at 66 years of age (on our visit), I can manage without 'Karoke'.
The menu was varied and reasonably priced, the food was perfect although portion size could have been larger. We commented on this to our waiter Steven and .....he went into the kitchen and prepared more food for my partner, (the chef, also a Steven, had gone home as we were a little late).
On our second evening in the restaurant, thanks to the two Stevens, our meals were especially large and as they explained, a lot of food goes back into the kitchen uneaten when the guests tend to be elderly with small appetites, a sensible point.
Not to bore you with any more compliments for the hotel and all the staff, my partner made a very unusual comment upon leaving; "This is one holiday (short break) I do not want to go home from". WE WILL BE BACK.

Room Tip: No way! I'm keeping that gem to myself. Imagine someone booking the room I want just before me.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Simon M, General Manager at The Imperial Tenby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Thank you very much for your comments of your recent stay at the Imperial.We always strive to provide the best service to our guest and we will do our best to accommodate in the best possible way so I am pleased we deliver this to you. I agree that the hotel is situated in a stunning location with excellent views. I will pass on the comments to Sophie, Steven Head Chef, Steven Restaurant Supervisor and the rest of the team as they always trying their very best to help our customers. I am glad you enjoy your stay with us as our hotel does offer good value for money and it is pleasing that you felt we delivered this to you. Im looking forward to see you again in the near future. Regards, Simon

Reviewed 10 October 2013

Coudn't fault the location and view from room, but room was very small for two adults, and the floor was never swept during our four night stay. Faulty central heating and shower control were reported daily but were never rectified.
Food was adequate but uninteresting and always only just enough.
Staff throughout the hotel were very helpful and friendly.
The hotel as a whole badly needs redecorating.
The parking problem as for the whole of Tenby was not good, and perhaps early booking should give priority to those with disabled badges rather than the current of one only if you are lucky.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2013

recently stayed at the imperial hotel in tenby, the location was fantastic, and the views you would struggle to find better anywhere in the UK. I found the room nice, could do with a touch up in places, the food was very nice, shame about the choice of vegetables served with the food, the vegetables and the food did not go, although the food was at times extremely nice I noted to the resteraunt manager about the portion size. He came back and gave me and my partner a chip sandwhich. I was very disappointed in that. The lightening has a bit to be left desired, often dark, and the entertainment was a bit, samey, could be nice to change the entertainment up. No complaints about any staff members, all very helpful, at times the resteraunt manager kept looking at his phone during service, I almost offered him my watch , if he was looking at the time. With a few small improvements this hotel has the potential to be wonderful, a few changes would make this hotel one of the best in my opinion

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Simon M, General Manager at The Imperial Tenby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review. I´m glad you enjoy the location and the fantastic views that the Imperial have to offer. I and the team we will investigate all comments made about the food and the restaurant manager. We always strive to provide the best service to our guest and we will do our best to accommodate in the best possible way. I will pass your comments to our Head Chef about the vegetables as when these things are brought to our attention we try to deal with them as quickly and efficiently as possible.I do hope that you choose to come back again and I am positive you will see a remarkable improvement.Regards, Simon

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Booked a four night stay with half board. The hotel is in a great position and has enormous potential. However, on arrival we almost turned around and went home, because of the dismal reception area and general ambience of the public areas. Brightened up when checked out the room (paid slightly more for a superior room, but this did not have a seaview). The room was well decorated, very clean and with more than adequate amenities. Breakfast was fine, although the choice was somewhat limited and portions rather small, although one could always ask for more and this did not seem to be a problem. Table d'hote dinner was rather poor in choice and quality and because of this we decided to eat out two nights. Whoever heard of serving lasagne with boiled potatoes? The dining room and lounge are quite well decorated but because the lighting is so dim and the entrance areas so shabby, the atmosphere is spoiled. All the staff were very helpful and I feel rather sorry for them having to work in such a dark and shabby environment. I believe the hotel caters mainly for coach parties, who seemed to be quite happy, but I would think quite hard before travelling to the hotel by car (very limited parking).

2  Thank simbasmum2013

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review. We have a rolling programme of refurbishment and more rooms and public areas have been plan to be refurbish. I and the team we will investigate all comments made about the food. Tenby is a great place to explore lots to see and do specially with the location of the hotel, I hope to see you again soon. Regards, Simon

Reviewed 26 September 2013

Very efficient staff, especially the staff in the dining room. Worked very hard, but were always pleasant and helpful. Food also very good. The only disappointment was that we were never allocated a seat by the window in the dining room overlooking the sea - we were promised one on a rota system, but this never worked. Very comfortable bedroom and updated bathroom done well considering the old building. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review at your recent stay at the Imperial. It is always nice to read nice reviews about the staff and the food. The really appreciate guests acknowledge their hard work so I will pass your comments to them, specially to the dining room staff. I am sorry to hear about the seating by the window as we always use a rota system for the same reason. I am glad you enjoy the service provide by the staff and your stay in general . Hope to see you soon in the near future. Regards, Simon

Reviewed 21 September 2013

Stayed here on a self drive 4 night break in the middle of August - it cost us £225 each for bed, breakfast and evening meal. The hotel is an older style building built on a spectacular spot right on the cliff edge of Tenby beach. Like so many similar buildings in similar English seaside resorts it obviously does not generate the income to reinvest in huge upgrading programmes. The hotel has a confusing layout and there are quite a few stairs in some areas. There is only one small lift which causes bad tempers and complaints when a coach party arrive although the staff do their utmost to cope with the situation.
Our room was on the 4th floor overlooking St Florence Parade with a good glimpse of the sea (we did not pay extra for a sea view as we spend as much time as possible out). The room, which was large with a big bathroom and plenty of wardrobe space was comfortable, clean and very acceptable for the price - if a little dated. The old bathroom windows did rattle a bit during one night of high wind and rain - but it was shocking weather.
We paid £5 a night for reserved parking right at the front on the hotel which was very handy.
All the staff, without exception, we found to be very pleasant and helpful.
The town of Tenby itself is lovely, with beautiful beaches and a very interesting harbour area.
It is a warren of narrow streets with a really good variety of shops/restaurants/pubs all within an easy walking area close to the hotel.
We found the menus had a reasonable variety although the portions maybe could have been a bit bigger. My husband chose the salad option a couple of times which were rather an odd uninspiring offering with pickled onions and gherkins (which were so sharp as to be inedible).
The bar prices were reasonable but the bar areas were always very quiet. However there were other hotels/pubs/clubs very close by advertising much cheaper drinks and open to non residents and non members (i.e. £2.30 a pint for lager/beer) so plenty of places to chose from if you like a drink.
The bus station is very close by and we caught the bus to Saundersfoot one afternoon which is well worth a visit - if only to watch the children crabbing off the harbour wall.
All in all we had a very pleasant stay and consider we had very good value for money. We would certainly return.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for taking the time to post a nice review of your recent staying at the Imperial Hotel. We are very privileged to be located in such a beautiful area with fantastic views. It is nice to read that you enjoy your stay and that you find our staff helpful and attentive to your needs. I shall pass on all your wonderful comments to all members of the team, as they really appreciate when guest do acknowledge them. Our Hotel does strive to offer good value for money and it is pleasing that you felt we delivered this to you.We hope it wont be long till you return.Regards, Simon

Reviewed 16 September 2013

I booked a weekend in Tenby at the Imperial Hotel.
We checked in on the 17th August.
I have visited many hotels over the years in both Tenby and Saundesfoot and with out doubt this was the worst Hotel room I have stayed in.
I paid over £270 for a two night stay which is the most I have ever spent on a hotel in that area,
The room was in a very poor state and I have stayed in Travelodge rooms for £29 a night that have been cleaner and more comfortable
The poor level of maintenance and upkeep of the room spoilt what was supposed to be a great weekend away for my wife and I.
There were
Stains on the carpets,
Paint flaking off the walls and skirting boards.
The radiators did not work.
The towel radiator was held to the pipe with duck tape.
There was masking tape holding the two bath panels together.
The window had dry rot so there was draught and it kept no noise from outside at bay.
No wheels on the bed (if was being held up with a length of 4x2 timber)
The toilet seat had chips in it and stains that would not be acceptable in a public toilet.

I went to reception to complain on two occasions to two different duty managers and I was told by both that the Hotel was fully booked so they could not move us to another room. They did not offer to come and look at the room, offered no apology, or offer to accommodate us in any way at all.
I am 42 years old and this is the first time I have ever complained about anything. I have attached photographs of the room so that you can see that I am not exaggerating about any of these things.
I complained on Aug 20th and sent them the photos of the room and the situation is still not resolved
It is the worst standard of room I have ever been in

Richard & Lisa Shore