“A Hotel that listens to its guests”

The Imperial Tenby Hotel
Ranked #19 of 23 Hotels in Tenby
Reviewed 14 February 2014

A stay at The Imperial Hotel in Tenby is one which gives satisfaction.
My wife and I, together with our friends, have just returned from an inexpensive 5 day break with Shearings,in Tenby, staying at The Imperial Hotel.
The Hotel has a superb prime, location, overlooking beaches and bay with views all along the coast.
We were allocated a sea view room, together with a four poster bed. The bathroom was spotless, and I would imagine had only recently been refurbished.
Unfortunately, the weather was not so kind to us, and our stay coincided with some extreme storms, and rain, causing a few inconveniences but the management made it clear they would address any issues that were reported to them.
The meals in the dining room were varied and of high quality and the service was second to none. Breakfasts were excellent, and consumed in the dining room which had bay windows overlooking the sands and sea. The Hotel manager Simon, would regularly come round to all guests, to ensure that everything was to our satisfaction.
All of the staff, waiters, bar staff, receptionists and housekeepers were polite, courteous and always ready to help.
Entertainment was provided on two evenings and was top quality, Cathy North, was a singer with immense talent and her voice matched any finalist of TV talent shows.
We noticed that some refurbishing was on going during our stay, so we can only assume a stay at The Imperial Hotel in the future, will get even better.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank ronaldreed
Simon M, Manager at The Imperial Tenby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to writing a lovely review of your recent stay at The Imperial Hotel Tenby. I agree that the hotel is situated in a stunning location with excellent views. I shall pass on the comments to the staff as they always trying their very best to help our customers. I am glad you enjoy your stay with us as our Hotel does strive to offer good value for money and it is pleasing that you felt we delivered this to you. I´m looking forward to see you again soon in the near future. Regards, Simon

There are newer reviews for The Imperial Tenby Hotel

Reviewed 12 February 2014

I cannot believe the reviews this hotel has being getting.
the weather was not good but this had no bearing on the holiday.
we had 5 days on a sheering holiday.the bedroom was well fitted out with nice quality furniture,the bath room recently refurbished, but had the smallest shower cubicle available,and you could not turn round in it,which did not really matter as we had no hot water for 3 of our 5 days.
several windows had towels on them to stop the water coming in including our bedroom.
the room was cold and we complained,, and bearing in mind that every hotel we have ever stayed in my wife always turns of the heating and opens the windows.they provided us with an electric heater.Even in the dining room people were obvious cold and were moving seats,trying to find a warmer spot.
The dining room! who ever was in the kitchen did not have a basic idea about cooking .risotto,more like a rice pudding uneatable , cod served with a cheese sauce (.Packet sauce, no problem)but it looked like grains of sand on top of the fish..We tried the a la cart,asked for a steak med. to well done, a good vet would have had it back on its feet,this was sent back and 25 mins later my wife ate, after all off us had finished our meal. The food generally was very poor quality

the staff were OK and the manager of the hotel was very amiable.
I would think that just about every body on this trip will complain to Sheerings if they can be bothered to write.

Room Tip: terrific views from the front rooms if you can put up with rain coming in through the windows(room 3...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank georgealan

Thank you for your review at your recent stay at the Imperial Hotel.
I am sorry that you felt the accommodation and the food was not up to standard. I will look into the room in question and I will speak to kitchen team regarding your comments about the food.
As you can see from previous reviews we do not normally have this comments and when these things are brought to our attention we try to deal with them as quickly and efficiently as possible.I do hope that you choose to come back again and I am positive you will see a remarkable improvement. Regards, Simon

Reviewed 3 February 2014

We arrived on 5 day trip with Shearings. The room was ok but the hot water tap could not be turned on. A member of staff did suggest that we washed our hands in the shower which we were not too keen on! We reported the fault. The next morning we reminded reception of the problem. We returned from a trip out and the tap still had not been seen to. Just before our evening meal I went to reception and the receptionist did come and have a look. At this point I suggested that we should be moved. We were given a room on the ground floor( which we had requested on booking) and from then on the holiday improved. The food was delicious and plenty of it, The service in the dining room was good too. The room we .were given was clean and there were plenty of towels etc. We did the included trip to Pembroke, to a
Loving Spoon centre, St David's and Haverford West. All very good but also enhanced by our driver Ahrena ( please forgive spelling)who had a very extensive knowledge of the area and was most helpful. all in all eventually we had a really good time. As an extra comment. we found a café in Pembroke which was on the main street on the left going away from the castle., which was superb, The best toilet I had ever visited in a café. It was large, with grab rails, able to take a wheelchair and escort comfortablly. Plenty of hot water soap ,hand cream etc.

Room Tip: Try and have a sea view room Well worth the extra.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Simon M, General Manager at The Imperial Tenby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to let us know what you thought of your stay at the Imperial, I will pass on your comments to Arhena our coach driver and all the relevant staff at the hotel. The issue from the tap has been rectified as they have to change it for a new unit and I do apologise for any inconvenience cause at the beginning of your holiday but I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and give us the opportunity to rectify the problem once you got a different room. I totally agree with Tenby Town and the Surrounding area of Pembrokeshire as they are lovely to visit. Hope to see you back soon. Regards, Simon

Reviewed 2 February 2014

Just returned from a spur of the moment break with my husband at the Imperial Hotel.
We seem to take many short breaks in Tenby and know all the hotels on the Esplanade well but this was our first visit to the Imperial.
This hotel is what getting away for a break is all about. We arrived yesterday (in time for kick off!) the lady at the desk was excellent , so polite and helpful with parking etc . Just a lovely warm welcome.
We had booked a sea view room and wow did we have a beautiful room! Four poster bed balcony and the most amazing view! ( room 22)
Dinner was included and very tasty with lovely staff who waited on us beautifully without being over powering .
We were so comfortable we asked for a late check out on the off chance. The desk manager was so helpful and said that he would try to sort it out for us which he did with no fuss. Also when we left he was so kind and friendly that you really do want to go back.
I can honestly say I have stayed in hotels for a fortnight and have not felt so happy with the stay or service that I want to write this much! Thank you for making a one night break so special .

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Anniuw

Many thanks for taking the time to write such a lovely review at your recent stay at the Imperial Hotel. I will pass on your lovely comments to the team as they always happy to be helpful to our customer as we always try our best to make sure you enjoy your break with us. I agree that our upgrade rooms are good value for money and make a different to your stay. We are very happy to read that you enjoy your stay with us and thanks again for your lovely review.Hope to see you again in the future and for a longer break. Regards, Simon

Reviewed 2 February 2014

My friend and I have just arrived back from a Shearings holiday at the Imperial. Wonderful setting for the hotel, built on the rocks over the beach, and next to the old town walls. Brilliant seaview from rooms, restaurant and lounges. The hotel is fabulous, love the contemporary feel in all of the public rooms. Bedrooms and bathrooms are clean, lovely cotton bedding and fluffy white towels. All meals were lovely, well cooked with plenty of choice. The staff, well ALL of the staff are delightful, friendly, polite and nothing is too much trouble. The only downside to the hotel is the coolness of the restaurant and adjoining lounge, the radiators were all on full but are not sufficient for the large space, maybe closing the blinds would have made it warmer, it was such a shame for the singers on Tues and Thurs evening as there were only about 8 people attending, Cathy on Thurs evening was brilliant, such a powerful voice. Maybe the equipment should have been moved to one of the other warmer lounges. Irehna? our driver was brilliant, she was so informative and has a great warm personality. 2 excursions to Pembroke and St Davids. Wow !!!!!!!!!!! St Davids Cathedral is beautiful as you look over the wall on approaching. Pembroke has a lovely Castlr unfortunately not enough time to visit. Bracing walks along the beach in the wind and rain were wonderful. Tenby has lovely winding streets and alleyways, also a lovely harbour and a lovely church.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sandra C

Many thanks for taking the time to writing a great review. I will pass all your lovely comments to all relevant staff as they really appreciate when guest do acknowledge them and specially to Arhena our coach driver. I am glad that you enjoy your experience at the Imperial hotel with the fantastic view that we have to offer from our restaurant and lounges. I hope to see you again in the near future. Regards, Simon

Reviewed 28 January 2014

This is the second year we have visited the hotel late January/early Feb. It is excellent value for money. It is a fantastic base for beach and clifftop walks. Although out of season there are some places of interest to visit. The museum & art gallery and lifeboat station are well worth a visit. Lots of pretty gift shops and plenty of places to lunch.
We took my husbands elderly mum this year and everything is within easy walking distance from the hotel which was great for her. She was in a single room. There was only a £15 supplement plus the extra for the sea view which is well worth the extra. If I had one complaint it would be that if it is a double/twin seaview room, the charge of £21 should be per room and not per person.
The rooms are clean and adequately equipped, the sea/beach view is spectacular from the hotel. The hotel does undergo maintenance in off peak periods, however it does not affect your stay, I have read other rather mean reviews with pathetic complaints, for example "lift is a bit old and shabby", "reception area could do with modernising". I don't get this! Do these people have to complain about things that do not affect their stay? I am sure the hotel knows these things and they are on a very long list of things to be done during the refurb and renovation period!
The food cannot be faulted. I never had anything served to me that wasn't delicious. The set menu had plenty of choice, if there was nothing to your liking you could upgrade to the hotel menu for a heavily discounted price. Drinks were not extortionately priced.The waiting staff were very efficient, courteous, helpful and friendly.
On Sunday evening there was no heating, however we were provided with a radiator. I don't know if it was a maintenance problem or that only a handful of the 45 rooms were taken that night and it would make sense financially and environmentally to shut it off. Either way it was no problem.
My husband had trouble sleeping as he could faintly hear the sound of a motor or heating drive in our room, he is very sensitive to noise at night, personally I could hardly hear it and was embarrassed to mention it! For our last night the manager moved us to a premier room with a huge 4 poster bed, a big telly and fantastic views. I did not expect this special treatment for such a minor thing that I bet nobody has ever complained about! Nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff at any point of our stay.
I have read peoples complaints because of lack of parking, there are maybe 7/8 spaces max. This is because of where the hotel is and should not be grounds for a complaint. There are plenty of car parks close to the hotel. £5 for 24 hours in the nearest 5 Arches carpark a hundred yards away! You can load/unload outside the hotel.
There is entertainment on Saturday nights out of season. It was fair. Mum enjoyed it and we enjoyed singing along. if you don't fancy whats on offer there are plenty of pubs very close by offering live music etc.
I truly loved my stay this year and last. Planning to go in the warmer weather this year.
I would recomend this place to anyone, young or old!

Room Tip: Get a sea view.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for posting such a lovely review to let us know what you thought of your stay at the Imperial Hotel in Tenby this year, It is nice to read that you enjoy your stay on your winter break. I am glad that you enjoy the service provide and that you find our staff helpful and attentive to your needs. I shall pass on all your wonderful comments to all members of the team and as you mention in your comments our Hotel does strive to offer good value for money and it is pleasing that you felt we delivered this to you.We hope it wont be long till you return when the weather is warmer. Regards, Simon

Reviewed 26 January 2014

We stayed for one night and we were disappointed as the Hotel was dated and tired. The room had a beautiful view and was clean but the surroundings were poor. Old windows, bathroom poor standard with the bath panel taped up and smelling of urine.Shower was broken with only a dribble from the shower head. the experience did not get any better in the Dining Room as we were some of the first arrivals on the Saturday night and we were told they had run out of steak. Slow service with us waiting 50 minutes for a main course,this with the restaurant almost empty. Following this we returned to the room and retired at around 10.00pm as we had an early start. However we were kept awake with loud music playing till late.

In addition to this the breakfast was truly appalling limited fruit, no yogurt and poorly washed cutlery and crockery. Moreover the cooked breakfast arrived almost immediately following the order with the majority of the breakfast stone cold.

This is a beautiful building in a fantastic location right on the beach front. However, the aforementioned issues would have to be addressed for me to contemplate staying there again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Louise M

Thank you for taking the time to review the Hotel. I am sorry that you were not impressed with the Hotel. I have passed your comments onto all the relevant departments. We are always looking to improve the service & accommodation that we offer and when these things are brought to our attention we try to deal with them as quickly and efficiently as possible.I do hope that you choose to come back again and I am positive you will see a remarkable improvement.Regards, Simon