“Trying hard, mostly succeeding”

The Imperial Tenby Hotel
Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Tenby
UK
“Trying hard, mostly succeeding”
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

To save lots of waffle..

Good points
Staff very friendly and helpful
Clearly being refurbished
Clean and tidy
Good food in restaurant
Great views from bar and restaurant and a sea view room if you get one.

Less than good..(nothing was bad)
Wifi absolutely sucks...needs someone to advise them how to make it reach the rooms and anywhere other than the desk at reception...even in the bar it's poor..

Not enough parking really so book in advance if you can.though to be fair there is cheap parking close by.

Bed in our room , 41 , wasn't great and neither were pillows but there was enough of them.
Not every room has a bath
I saw someone else mention this as well that your main breakfast course arrives before you have finished your cereal..tell the staff to think about that?
Breakfast description of 'ham n eggs' described as gammon with poached egg is actually cold sliced ham with a warm hard poached egg, singular. Please describe it as such our make it what I hoped which was some grilled gammon and a couple of runny poached eggs.

Overall it was fair value...

and a warm

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Simon M, General Manager at The Imperial Tenby Hotel, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and will pass on your kind words to the hotel staff. We try to improve where and when we can and all your comments do help to improve our service.I will speak to all relevant departments about your comments in all areas that you mention. I hope to see you again the near future and I am positive you will see a remarkable improvement. Regards, Simon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Had Sunday roast here with my family on Sunday 27th April 2014. The staff were amazing and the roast dinner was beautiful. The location is excellent and amazing views overlooking the ocean. Will be eating here often from now on. Thanks for a great afternoon and hopefully see you again soon.

Didn't stay here but would definitely recommend this hotel based on what I saw both for accommodation and food.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Johnnyfm
Thank you very much for your lovely comments of your recent stay for the Sunday Lunch at The Imperial Hotel. I will pass on the comments to the staff and to Steve our head chef as he always happy to see our customer enjoy the food. I am glad you enjoy the food and the lovely views we have to offer. Please remember we are open to non-resident every day for lunch, dinner, high tea, drinks during the week and please feel free to pick up a brochure next time so you can see what we can offer.We are looking forward to see you again soon. Regards, Simon
reading
Reviewed 28 April 2014

we recently stayed for three nights, the hotel looks like its been renovated, but on closer inspection it was done in a rush badly. firstly i think comfortable beds are a must in a hotel, they were rock hard, like a stone slab, duvet were very thin, we were cold, and uncomfortable, also we had to go up and down four flights of stairs to get to our room from the 'lift', luckily we were able to move rooms, but it took a bit of persuasion, but the new room also had very hard beds.
the window had no handle to keep it closed, and had been fitted with a security chain,it was the paint that held the window shut, though it did open one day on its own.

the food was our biggest bug bear, it was very basic, of low quality, like frozen food you might buy from the value range in a supermarket, breakfast was small and of low quality, unlike the staff who were all very exceptional.

I know this hotel caters for shearing groups,. but surely even they deserve better than this. we couldn't work out how the elderly shearing travelers were supposed to get up and down the numerous stairways. i got completely lost in the maze of stairwells one morning,and luckily came across the lift.

The position of the hotel and the hard working staff are its only attributes. but the state of the rooms, fittings, hard beds, cold rooms, thin duvets, numerous stairways, low quality food, leave little to be desired

i wouldn't recommend this hotel to anybody

Room Tip: ask for one next to the lift
1 Thank jaypauldini
Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments. I will investigate all areas you point out and I am sorry that you felt the accommodation and food was not up to standard. I will look into all comments made with the relevant departments. The hotel is set on top of the cliff and 5 buildings were join together over the years. I do hope that you choose to come back again and I am positive you will see a remarkable improvement. Regards, Simon
Leominster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2014

This probably has the best spot in Tenby. Just got home after 4 days, 3 nights at this hotel. Breakfast choice of food for cooked was excellent, but the same tinned grapefruit and prunes, were getting boring. Staff had problems keeping on top of everything. We had to ask for glasses for fruit juices as they had run out. Ate here one evening, and the food was excellent, and we even found a really good wine that we had not come across before, but this was due to the fact that they didn't have the wine we ordered. Our room 44 was on the top floor, with a side view to the sea. More spacious than I had thought, but the cushions and bed runner could do with a good clean, they were all stained. Bathroom fittings of a very poor quality, clearly it had been modernised, but already one of the handles on the bath was missing, it was a very hit and miss affair with the shower over the bath, and my husband had cold showers two days running. The toilet roll holder was very precariously fixed, and I was frightened it would fall off the wall. No real shelves on which to put your toiletries, we had to use the windowsill. No towel rail near the basin for your hand towels, so had to use the bath. Very basic toiletries provided, and not topped up, fortunately I had taken my own. Windows were dirty, and this included paint on the inside, which would have been very easy to deal with. I realise that cleaning the 4th floor windows could prove difficult, but as the outside in that area had recently been painted, surely the windows could have been cleaned at the same time, and there are special cleaners that you can get that help to keep windows clean for a year now, I use them at home. Room was clean, but the communal areas could do with a thorough clean to make them sparkle and gleam. They definitely need a cobweb brush in the dining room, which is such a shame, as it is probably their best communal room. Lots of pencil markings on ceiling where the fitter put the ventian blinds in, and some of them did not work. Tape around what looked like fairly new double glazing in this room, did not enhance the look. It is a shame, this hotel could be outstanding. Generally staff helpful and friendly, but did have to wait at reception whilst they were outside smoking several times.

2 Thank GillH007_12
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Imperial Hotel. I have passed your comments onto all the relevant departments. We are always looking to improve the service & accommodation that we offer and when these things are brought to our attention we try to deal with them as quickly and efficiently as possible. I am sorry that some products were not in stock but I am glad that you found a really good wine that we offer from our wine list and that you enjoy the food.I do hope that you choose to come back again and I am positive you will see a remarkable improvement. Regards, Simon
Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I would highly recommend this hotel. Its in a prime position overlooking the sea. The staff are all very friendly. The breakfasts were lovely too. Thank you Imperial for making an enjoyable break I will return.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for taking the time to writing a great review. I will pass all your lovely comments to all staff as they really appreciate when guest do acknowledge them. I am glad that you enjoy your experience at the Imperial hotel with the fantastic view that we have to offer from our restaurant and lounges. I hope to see you again in the near future. Regards, Simon
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Absolutely stunning views from the restaurant and bar. We had a room with a sea view and it was a pleasure waking up in the morning. Staff were extremely helpful and polite and nothing was too much trouble. Breakfast was delicious with a varied choice. Including smoked salmon and scramble eggs. The only reason I have given 4 not 5 is some cleaning issues as the place could do with a little more sparkle in attention to detail. Definitely be back again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Sarah C
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Imperial Hotel. I completely agree with you we are so lucky to have such a fantastic location & great views. I am glad you enjoy your stay and I hope to see you in the near future. Regards, Simon
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We stayed here recently and had a lovely time. The hotel is huge and is decorated lovely. The bar and restuarant has wonderful views across the sea. We paid £69 for a double room and breakfast. Couldn't fault the place or the staff. Would def visit again and would highly recommend.

1 Thank Betchy
Thank you very much for taking the time to writing a lovely review of your recent stay at The Imperial Hotel Tenby. I agree that the hotel is situated in a stunning location with excellent views. I shall pass on the comments to all the staff as they always trying their very best to help our customers. I am glad you enjoy your stay with us as our Hotel does strive to offer good value for money and it is pleasing that you felt we delivered this to you. I´m looking forward to see you again soon in the near future. Regards, Simon