“Disappointing”

The Imperial Tenby Hotel
Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Tenby
Reviewed 22 May 2014

The Imperial is part of the Shearings chain of hotels, having stayed at the Marine hotel in Llandudno and was pleased to give a very favorable review, I was expecting a similar experience, this was not the case,I visited Tenby a couple of months prior to our stay and walked past the Imperial and noticed that they had contractors at work at the hotel, and was surprised after booking in and making our way to our room, how tired looking parts of the hotel looked particularly the stairways and corridors.
We stayed in a standard plus room, to be fare the room was nice, the decor was pleasant with great sea view, and as stated when booking(Newly redesigned,Attractive decor and furnishings) but when it came to the en-suite it was a different story,the tiling was shabby, dirty grouting, mouldy stains in shower, the outside of the shower tray was broken and cracked it looked like it had been that way for months if not years, the wash basin had four chips that also looked like most had been there for a long time, lastly the extractor fan switch was about six inches above the top of the door lentil, I am fairly tall and had to stretch up to use it, anybody below average height would have to have climbed on a chair to use it, but we never used it anyway as it sounded like a helicopter was taking off.
The food at the Imperial was very average, it was edible, the service was intermittent there seemed plenty of staff but not very organised, on the whole the staff were pleasant and helpful.
The hotel is in a lovely location, but it most definitely needs a bit of a shake up, We now live in the technological age we all use the internet, the connection at the Imperial was snail pace and only really accessible next to the front desk in the reception, just another reason that I am afraid we will not be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 12Dave3
Simon M, General Manager at The Imperial Tenby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Imperial hotel. I am sorry that you were not please with the Hotel. I have passed your comments onto all the relevant departments and I will review the room decor, corridors and stairways as they are in constant use. We are always looking to improve the service and accommodation that we offer and value all comments made by our customer. Once again I apologize for the standards during your stay with us and I hope you choose to come back in the future.Regards, Simon

Reviewed 19 May 2014

This hotel needs a team effort from the group who own it. The staff seem to have no idea how to cordinate the tasks they try to do.
With only 40 rooms dinners were asked to book a time to dine each night. however the arranged the tables after holding a meeting whilst the dinners waited and whatched, on allowing the dinners to enter and be taken to a table then finding the table arrangement incorrect the dinners start to rearrange the table layout.
It could be good material for a sitcom.

Room Tip: Check if the lift serves the room/floor that you. some rooms are best for those who are fit and able...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank stephen m

Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments. I will investigate all areas you point out and I will look into all comments made with the relevant departments. I do apologize if you experienced anything you thought of as lack of care but when things are brought to our attention we try to deal with them as quickly and efficiently as possible. We do ask all our customers to book a time for dinner and we try to allocated the tables the best we can and meet all requests. We only have 5 tables by the window and this are the most requested one so we try to rotate during the stay of our guests. The hotel is set on the top of the cliff and are 5 buildings join together over the years. The lift go to all floors but unfortunately some rooms do involve stairs. I do hope that you choose to come back again and I am positive you will see a remarkable improvement. Regards, Simon

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed my weekend here, having been there as a child many many years ago. It is clear to see the hotel has really invested in good quality furnishings, our room was superb value. Meals at the hotel were also excellent value and enjoyable. Staff were excellent in both presentation and service standards, Thank you!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Many thanks for writing a great review of your recent stay at the Imperial hotel. I shall pass your comments to the team it really makes their day when they receive such a positive comments. We are truly pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Imperial with their fantastic view and I have to agree that we are very lucky to be in such a lovely area. I hope to see you again in the near future. Regards, Simon

Reviewed 4 May 2014

To save lots of waffle..

Good points
Staff very friendly and helpful
Clearly being refurbished
Clean and tidy
Good food in restaurant
Great views from bar and restaurant and a sea view room if you get one.

Less than good..(nothing was bad)
Wifi absolutely sucks...needs someone to advise them how to make it reach the rooms and anywhere other than the desk at reception...even in the bar it's poor..

Not enough parking really so book in advance if you can.though to be fair there is cheap parking close by.

Bed in our room , 41 , wasn't great and neither were pillows but there was enough of them.
Not every room has a bath
I saw someone else mention this as well that your main breakfast course arrives before you have finished your cereal..tell the staff to think about that?
Breakfast description of 'ham n eggs' described as gammon with poached egg is actually cold sliced ham with a warm hard poached egg, singular. Please describe it as such our make it what I hoped which was some grilled gammon and a couple of runny poached eggs.

Overall it was fair value...

and a warm

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Simon M, General Manager at The Imperial Tenby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and will pass on your kind words to the hotel staff. We try to improve where and when we can and all your comments do help to improve our service.I will speak to all relevant departments about your comments in all areas that you mention. I hope to see you again the near future and I am positive you will see a remarkable improvement. Regards, Simon

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Had Sunday roast here with my family on Sunday 27th April 2014. The staff were amazing and the roast dinner was beautiful. The location is excellent and amazing views overlooking the ocean. Will be eating here often from now on. Thanks for a great afternoon and hopefully see you again soon.

Didn't stay here but would definitely recommend this hotel based on what I saw both for accommodation and food.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Johnnyfm

Thank you very much for your lovely comments of your recent stay for the Sunday Lunch at The Imperial Hotel. I will pass on the comments to the staff and to Steve our head chef as he always happy to see our customer enjoy the food. I am glad you enjoy the food and the lovely views we have to offer. Please remember we are open to non-resident every day for lunch, dinner, high tea, drinks during the week and please feel free to pick up a brochure next time so you can see what we can offer.We are looking forward to see you again soon. Regards, Simon

Reviewed 28 April 2014

we recently stayed for three nights, the hotel looks like its been renovated, but on closer inspection it was done in a rush badly. firstly i think comfortable beds are a must in a hotel, they were rock hard, like a stone slab, duvet were very thin, we were cold, and uncomfortable, also we had to go up and down four flights of stairs to get to our room from the 'lift', luckily we were able to move rooms, but it took a bit of persuasion, but the new room also had very hard beds.
the window had no handle to keep it closed, and had been fitted with a security chain,it was the paint that held the window shut, though it did open one day on its own.

the food was our biggest bug bear, it was very basic, of low quality, like frozen food you might buy from the value range in a supermarket, breakfast was small and of low quality, unlike the staff who were all very exceptional.

I know this hotel caters for shearing groups,. but surely even they deserve better than this. we couldn't work out how the elderly shearing travelers were supposed to get up and down the numerous stairways. i got completely lost in the maze of stairwells one morning,and luckily came across the lift.

The position of the hotel and the hard working staff are its only attributes. but the state of the rooms, fittings, hard beds, cold rooms, thin duvets, numerous stairways, low quality food, leave little to be desired

i wouldn't recommend this hotel to anybody

Room Tip: ask for one next to the lift
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jaypauldini

Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments. I will investigate all areas you point out and I am sorry that you felt the accommodation and food was not up to standard. I will look into all comments made with the relevant departments. The hotel is set on top of the cliff and 5 buildings were join together over the years. I do hope that you choose to come back again and I am positive you will see a remarkable improvement. Regards, Simon

Reviewed 26 April 2014

This probably has the best spot in Tenby. Just got home after 4 days, 3 nights at this hotel. Breakfast choice of food for cooked was excellent, but the same tinned grapefruit and prunes, were getting boring. Staff had problems keeping on top of everything. We had to ask for glasses for fruit juices as they had run out. Ate here one evening, and the food was excellent, and we even found a really good wine that we had not come across before, but this was due to the fact that they didn't have the wine we ordered. Our room 44 was on the top floor, with a side view to the sea. More spacious than I had thought, but the cushions and bed runner could do with a good clean, they were all stained. Bathroom fittings of a very poor quality, clearly it had been modernised, but already one of the handles on the bath was missing, it was a very hit and miss affair with the shower over the bath, and my husband had cold showers two days running. The toilet roll holder was very precariously fixed, and I was frightened it would fall off the wall. No real shelves on which to put your toiletries, we had to use the windowsill. No towel rail near the basin for your hand towels, so had to use the bath. Very basic toiletries provided, and not topped up, fortunately I had taken my own. Windows were dirty, and this included paint on the inside, which would have been very easy to deal with. I realise that cleaning the 4th floor windows could prove difficult, but as the outside in that area had recently been painted, surely the windows could have been cleaned at the same time, and there are special cleaners that you can get that help to keep windows clean for a year now, I use them at home. Room was clean, but the communal areas could do with a thorough clean to make them sparkle and gleam. They definitely need a cobweb brush in the dining room, which is such a shame, as it is probably their best communal room. Lots of pencil markings on ceiling where the fitter put the ventian blinds in, and some of them did not work. Tape around what looked like fairly new double glazing in this room, did not enhance the look. It is a shame, this hotel could be outstanding. Generally staff helpful and friendly, but did have to wait at reception whilst they were outside smoking several times.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GillH007_12

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Imperial Hotel. I have passed your comments onto all the relevant departments. We are always looking to improve the service & accommodation that we offer and when these things are brought to our attention we try to deal with them as quickly and efficiently as possible. I am sorry that some products were not in stock but I am glad that you found a really good wine that we offer from our wine list and that you enjoy the food.I do hope that you choose to come back again and I am positive you will see a remarkable improvement. Regards, Simon