“Outstanding”

Blue Ball Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 114 Restaurants in Tenby
Price range: US$57 - US$57
Cuisines: European
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Groups, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
“Outstanding”
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

We were desperate to escape our hotel so cast around for a good restaurant - this one was featured in a tourist authority publication.

Gastro pub, but excellent food and service in every respect. We each ordered different dishes and not only did everything on the plate taste great, was in perfect balance with everything else on it and was excellently cooked, but we swapped all of our four dishes and we agreed that they all came up to the same standard.

A sign at the entrance reads 'be nice or leave', so not for boistrous stag/hen parties, but for those who like a friendly environment with excellent cuisine and service, I can think of none better.

4 Thank Julian D

Reading, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice food”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We visited is restaurant today just because we were in the area and needed dinner. The waitresses were very friendly but overall the service was a little lax.
The food was quite lovely though, I had Tomato & Basil soup with Parmesan Croutons and it was exceptional! My main meal of Welsh Faggots were so delicious!!! Actually beware that it is rated as a lite bite as it is very filling indeed (I am not complaining!). My husband had a burger which he said was ok (praise enough from him) and the children had chicken breast / cod gojons - both of which looked very nice! I don't know if the fries/chips that accompanied their meals were homemade - I like to hope they were.
We received AA discount as it was early in the evening - saving us about £9. The total bill was about £50 including 4 drinks (one alcoholic) and two coffees.
Would I return here - yes I think I would. I'd like to try their welsh roast dinner on a Sunday and maybe their Moules of an evening.
Quite happy with the food overall - more consistent service would be better.

• Visited August 2014
Amsterdam
“Did not live up to expectation”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We went to this restaurant as the menu looked good and it had previous positive reviews. However, I was disappointed. The staff seemed disorganised and we served by a number of different staff. There was a substantial delay before the starters were served, even though we had ordered relatively simple food and food that was ordered after ours at other tables arrived first. The food itself was not great - some odd combinations in one dish and dry fish in the other. The restaurant interior was also not particularly comfortable and was full of noisy children (which I appreciate is not the fault of the restaurant but did not help matters). Overall, I felt it was overpriced and overrated.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Rachel5560
balisurfing
“Delicious”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

The place was very busy and the staff were struggling to provide service within a reasonable time but in high season this was not unexpected. Food was excellent. Can highly recommend eating here.

• Visited July 2014
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Strip away fancy: get the basics right!”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Went here for dinner. At these prices it should be very good, if not faultless.

Firstly the positives: the starter of scallops was nicely cooked and the two accompanying sauces well judged. The steak was faultless. I like a rare steak and as such it was perfect and one of the best I've had in a long while.

There was one major flaw in all this however. I explained I had a food allergy. I was explicit to what I was allergic to and yet when my main course came out I suspected (and had it confirmed) that one of my allergens was the key ingredient in a sauce that was spread over the food. An apology was given, the food taken away and returned a few minutes later with the same key ingredients minus the sauce.

Only some of the sauce had leaked onto the ingredients. I tried to eat around it, but as the allergen causes migraines I can confirm that by today (the day after) I have a migraine. And a nasty one at that.

(I really should have made more of a fuss and demanded the dish was recooked with fresh ingredients but I didn't like to. Today's illness spoiling my last day's holiday will teach me for the future.)

The waiting staff's response was one of apology but that was all. A kind of shrugging 'Oh well.' This coupled with (as others have observed) a glacially slow service meant that I did something I rarely do: I left no tip.

Fine cooking is all well and good but if you can't guarantee your food will not make people unwell - if you can't ensure that food that people tell you will make them ill is not going to appear on their plate - you are failing on a very basic level. And at these prices that is unforgivable.