““Fantastic hotel in a great location”

Ramada Plaza Southport
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Southport
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 September 2012

Myself and my partner stayed at the Ramada Plaza Southport on Sunday the 26th of August 2012 (bank holiday weekend). The Ramada Plaza, Southport is a fantastic hotel. The location is lovely, right by the marina and one minute from the shops. The rooms are noise free, clean, and well designed. It is a top hotel with real value for money. The room was clean and the bed was so comfy it was heaven; my partner commented that it was like sleeping on a cloud.

This hotel looks and feels like a high quality hotel but what makes the difference is the attitude of the staff, extremely helpful and genuinely make the effort to be friendly and welcoming. Parking was great (underground car park, plenty of space and reception well signposted and accessed by lift).

We can't wait to return and have booked a booked a Marine Lake Suite for the New Year’s Eve Gala as a treat. I would say that this hotel is by far the best the town has to offer.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Southport and we will definitely be returning again and again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank richiehals
ThomasKennedy, Manager at Ramada Plaza Southport, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2012

Fantastic Review!

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts about our hotel and for your kind comments about our high standards across each department.

On behalf of the team, may I thank you also, for noting the friendly, helpful attitude of us all. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back for your New Year celebrations.

Deputy Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,297)

Reviewed 18 September 2012

My husband and I travelled 6 hours by car to reach this hotel for a well earned break. The hotel looked very presentable and was in a good location looking out to sea. When we opened the door to our room we were disappointed in that the room was the exact size of a travelodge and the same layout, the only difference being better quality wood furnishings and a modern, bright bathroom. The first night was baking hot as the air conditioning did not work and the second night was freezing cold! The breakfast in the morning was really not up to the standard of this type of hotel. We had to wait to be seated and the staff took ages to come over to us to seat us. Firstly the coffee cups were chipped and dirty and every plate seemed to have something on them. There was never enough milk for the cereal and we had to keep asking for more (even though a huge milk container with a tap for self service was in place - but never refilled), The English Breakfast items had been left on a hot plate and the eggs had seen better days and the food was lukewarm on cold plates. The fruit was not replenished and cereal boxes were left on the top as the bin was too far away for people to find to get rid of them. Crumbs littered the whole area and the ketchup was left in half filled bottles on the side, instead of a more professional pump, which would have been cleaner and helped breakfast guests move quicker along the breakfast bar. We informed the manager that the tasteless breakfast could be drastically improved and he took our comments on board but said that the breakfast was one of the hotel's best points!!!! Top Tip: I would find a Premier Inn or a Travelodge and go and find a delicious local breakfast in Southport and not spend an absolute fortune like we did!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
ThomasKennedy, Manager at Ramada Plaza Southport, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us.

Please accept my apologies that some aspects of your stay were anything less than satisfying.

I have discussed your concerns with our restaurant team during our regular standards meeting and we appreciate your constructive comments.

Should you wish to discuss in further detail please do not hestitate to contact me at the hotel.

Reviewed 17 September 2012

My wake-up call didn't arrive. The television had no signal. Went to dinner and the restaurant had tables full of dirty dishes. Had to wait an hour for my order to arrive, it was tasteless and felt like it was from Iceland stores. Others were waiting for an hour for their dessert. Tea was cold when it arrived. All felt very Faulty Towers. Didn't experience breakfast as my 7am wake-up call came at 11am when the maid came to clean the room.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank SeanJamesC
ThomasKennedy, Manager at Ramada Plaza Southport, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2012

Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

Please accept my sincere apologies that you left disappointed and that your stay was anything less than satisfying.

Should you wish to discuss your concerns in further detail please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 17 September 2012

I booked this hotel based on the reviews I had seen on here and was really pleased I did. My partner and I stayed over for just one night. We booked through the hotel directly and chose a twin room (my partner is very tall and sleeps across the bed so twins are good for us)! I was delighted that the room contained two doubles rather than 2 singles, yet there was still plenty of space. The mattresses were quite soft and I slept really well but my partner prefers a firmer mattress so didn't sleep quite as well. The room was spotlessly clean - I don't think I've ever stayed in a cleaner hotel. Great en-suite with a power shower and nice smellies, plus decent quality toilet roll! We had great views over the marina, and the hotel is in a really location - just a 5 minute walk to the main street, bars and restaurants. We stayed on a Thursday and found Southport to be very quiet with not a great deal to do - we were actually turned away from the tapas bar next to the hotel at 9:20 because they'd stopped serving!
The hotel has an underground car park which is free to use which was great. Really good iron and hairdryer in the room, plus a fridge which was really useful (for beer of course) :o)
The drinks are quite expensive in the bar - £4.15 for a pint of San Miguel and the service was a little slow but again, that might be because it was a week night so not many staff on. And my only other niggle was the website states there is a mini bar in the room but there wasn't - not sure if this is the same for all rooms.
All in all, I would definitely stay here again as the negatives were very minor and I can honestly say it's one of the best hotels I have stayed in.

Room Tip: Twin rooms have 2 double beds rather than 2 singles and ask for a view over the marina

Great Review!!

Thank you for your kind comments about our hotel and services, especially that you found our hotel to be the cleanest you have ever stayed in!

Thank you also for sharing your experience with photographs, I'm delighted you enjoyed the view!

I have passed on you comments to all our departments who are most pleased we exceeded your expectations.

Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 17 September 2012 via mobile

Overall very nice stay, only fault was quality of food , had dinner on Saturday night with my wife which came to over £60 , if the food was good I wouldn't mind but overcooked and bland poor value . Same goes for breakfast . Would recommend hotel but keep clear of the food !

• Stayed: September 2012
ThomasKennedy, Manager at Ramada Plaza Southport, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2012

Hi Tony,

Many thanks for reviewing our hotel and services.

It's great that we managed to exceed your expectations throughout many aspects of your stay with us. I have discussed your concerns with our team of chef's. We will certainly take your comments on board, as we continually strive to further improve our standards in all areas.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 17 September 2012

We stayed at The Ramada a few years ago just after it opened and there were a few teething issues .We sayed again on Friday Night and it was excellent , lovely clean room , great breakfast, the free on site parking is a super bonus .

Hi David,

Thanks for taking the time to share your Ramada experience with us.

It's great to know that we are successfully and consistently improving our standards of quality and service and that we exceeded your expectations this time around.

We hope to welcome you back soon for your third visit!

Reviewed 16 September 2012

Stayed at the Ramada Plaza for 2 nights at the end of August 2012,and was delighted with my choice. had read reviews on trip advisor and was not disappointed. Super car park giving good security and peace of mind. Staff very friendly and helpful, would stay there again no problem. Highly rate.

Room Tip: Lovely and quite with a side facing room looking onto the bridge on the 4th floor.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the great review!

I'm delighted that we exceeded your expectations and thank you for your kind comments about our team.

We hope to see you again soon.