“stylish but souless”

GreenLeadersSilver level
london
“stylish but souless”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2010

This is a Ramada, you don't expect it to be chic, boutique, charming or characterful. And it's not.

But it's bright, fresh and modern, none of the chintz found at other four stars. It's light, quiet (generally - see later) and well located for everything in town. The rooms are bigger and cheaper than it's main rival, the Vincent, and - to my mind - nicer too.

It is a little bland and empty, pleasant, but souless. It's not for a romantic break but for business, or - as in our case - visiting relatives nearby, it's fine.

Breakfast is the usual mediocre standard of corporate four stars - cheap ingredients (bulk buy juice, yoghurts etc) and overcooked hot dishes sitting for ages on the side. Virgin trains made me excellent, fresh scrambled eggs, from the kitchen on the move, on my outward journey, so it seems extraordinary that the ramada can't do the samel

Problems: a few things are getting a bit tired, the TV didn't work in first room we were allocated, so moved to another. As mentioned elsewhere, the picture does break up from time to time, but nothing to worry about.

My main complaint is that, when we were moved due to broken telly, we were transferred to a room directly above the function room. We asked carefully about what functions were booked there during our stay as we particularly wanted a quiet room. We were assured that there was nothing in there over Christmas weekend, only to be woken by loud throbbing music on Boxing day night, from a party organised by the hotel itself. It went on until about 11.30pm, when we had an early start and a long journey the next day.

Generally the room, which was side facing, was very quiet but I'd check what floor you're on. The hotel was only half full, so it was especially annoying to have been located in such an unsuitable place.

Bed

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
gmramadaplaza, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Southport, responded to this review, 31 December 2010
Many thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following on from your recent visit. I am sorry you felt the ambiance of the hotel was not to your liking but the majority of our guests enjoy the openness of the public spaces and see this as a real plus.

Our breakfast is prepared using quality ingredients at all times and many dishes are available freshly cooked to order from our kitchen.

The boxing day evening entertainment was due to finish a litte earlier than 11.30pm and the fact the many guests were enjoying the female vocalist meant that this she did carry on a little longer than anticipated, I am sorry for the inconvenience this caused.

Once again I do thank you for you valued feedback and hope to welcome you back again soon.

Enda Rylands

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (795)
Glasgow
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2010

The Ramada hasn't been there for that long but already you get the sense that a malaise is setting in. Standards of service are on the poor side. Little seems to work as it should. Even the small things appear to be made difficult. We had been travelling for a few hours and checked in late into the evening. Even though only 5 of the 30 or so table in the bistro were taken we were told there was a waiting time of 45 mins, which was fine, but when our meals arrived after another 30mins and three of the four were too bad to accept, making us wait for a further 25 mins for the replacements, the game was up. No apology was forthcoming and we had to remind the person serving us that the experience had been less-than-pleasurable to get any sort of acknowledgement reflected in the bill. We waited 20 mins for drinks to arrive. When we enquired to the person who took the order where they were she shrugged her shoulders and pointed to the bar. From start to finish it was a circus of incompetence.

And so to bed. It's a noisy hotel, with theatre, exhibition centre and bar/restaurant/hotel punters all spilling out onto the streets at kicking out time, so if you don't want to hear the revelry try to get a room with a view away from the main road. This is nothing compared to the intimacy of a room with an adjoining door. Paper thin, David and Margaret must have heard as much of us as we did of them. Thankfully we both let each other know precisely how easy it was to hear each other before anything more embarrassing occurred. You could hear a spoon stirring a cup of tea, it was that clear. As for the shower 'David' took, we certainly heard him clean thoroughly. The unmistakable sound of a soaped-up cleft is enough to put you off the complementary biscuits.

Also, the TV didn't work and we didn't get our wake-up call at the right time. On the plus side, the bed was comfortable, reception staff were friendly, the car park is very handy and the bar is not a rip-off. A shame the hotel is.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
gmramadaplaza, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Southport, responded to this review, 8 December 2010
Many thanks for taking the time to review the hotel, I am very sorry that your stay was anything other than complete satisfactory.

Having not been made aware of your comments previously dispite the numerous inhouse opportunities I was surprised at the levels of service which you have discribed, these are in no way refletive of the overall standards and commitment to customer service exhibited by staff on a consistent level in the hotel.

The hotel is adjacent to the theatre but in no way does the noise impact upon the hotel, it is located in one of the quietest areas of Southport and is on the whole a very quiet area.

The noise from adjoining rooms has never been a problem in the past and certainly not to the comedic levels you have described and perhaps your interest in Davids shower was a little over the top.

I am sorry about the aspects of your stay you have highlighted and assure you of our commitment to improving these areas for the benefit of all guests.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2010

I stayed for 2 nights in this soul less hotel. Southport is a great place with friendly fun people and normally a good atmosphere, the Ramada was like a morgue. The reception, bar and restaurant is all open plan so if there are a few people in it feels weird. I would not take my wife for a romantic dinner in the restaurant because it reminds me of a school dinner hall with a touch of odd lighting and a few plants. Even when what looked like the 100+ seat restaurant had five people in it the food took far too long to turn up and what did was nothing to write home about. The salmon fish cakes reminded me of Findas pancakes, the expensive steak had a few chips with corn salad that had seen better days and the drinks were expensive. The room I stayed in was tired, the tops were stained, the bathroom door had a hole on the inside and the flat screen TV had an annoying distorting picture quality that kept happening. Reception staff were poor even when two of them booked me in they messed up the booking.
The Hotel has good internet connections, breakfast was better than dinner and the hotel has a good underground car park very handy in freezing morning conditions.
This is not a hotel to romance in, OK for a ONE night business trip.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
gmramadaplaza, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Southport, responded to this review, 6 December 2010
Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel here on Tripadvisor, we value all feedback on the facilities and services we provide. I am sorry that your stay was not as comfortable as you had hoped, we aim to ensure all guests have an enjoyable visit.

Our guest check in procedure is in gereral a seemless process and on the evening you arrived we were training a new member of staff in the process, I am sorry that this caused any delays and assure you that we will continue to look at ways of improving in this area.

I am sorry the the atmosphere on the evenings was not to your liking, obviously the hotel was not full but I do feel that the public areas are comfortable and well presented and that these are very well received by most guests.

In the Brasserie on the evenings there should be no delays to the service and the kitchens desire to cook your fillet steak to your liking will take time. I am sorry you did not enjoy the fishcakes which were freshly prepared in house, I have had much positive feedback in the past about this dish and will try to ensure that the standard is maintained.

Bolton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2010

Stayed at this hotel for a charging of the batteries break. Everything initially was lovely, the suite overlooking the Lake was wonderful, booked on a special winter mid week special, .
Unfortunately, as the weather was extremely cold we went back to our room to hibernate, get warm and watch the tv. Both heating and tv didn`t work...... I also saw the review earlier about the tv. Reported the heating first thing on our first morning didn`t improve. We were cold when we ate in the restaurant, the redeeming feature were the staff. even though mid week special still paid £300 for two nights expect better. from a new hotel. did complete the questionairre, but forgot to leave at reception.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
gmramadaplaza, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Southport, responded to this review, 29 November 2010
Many thanks for taking the time to complete your review here on Tripadvisor, I am sorry that the poor quality of TV reception marred your stay with us, I can assure you that every possible effort was being made to correct this issue and we are in constant contact with our suppliers to definatively resolve the issues which are reoccuring.

The heating in the rooms is controlled within the bedrooms and the sudden on set of cold wheather does seem to have caused a minor issue in the settings, this has now been rectified in full.

Once again I am grateful for the review and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

hemel hempstead
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2010

I stayed here for one night on business as I have in the past, however the problems with the satalite for the TV were still continuing (see earlier review 21st Nov) . I was told when I called reception that this was something that had happened that day and no one could come out until the morning . I decided to check Trip Advisor and saw that a reviewer a couple of days earlier had the same problem.
The heating in my room was not working, not good as it was -2 outside, when I asked reception about this I was told to let it run a bit and it would be OK, after an hour I called back to advise that there was no improvement but I could not get an answer.
On the plus side the room was very clean the bed is comfortable and the bathroom had plenty of hot water. It is beginning to look a little tired now though and could do with updating. Breakfast was good, hot and adequate choice, just check there is heating and TV before you go!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, I am sorry for the inconvience caused by the TV picture quality and assure you that every effort to rectify the issue was made.

Our suppliers are totally aware of the issue and we are pleased to report the progress has been made in solving the issue.

cumbria united kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2010

my wife and i stayed at the plaza and what a great time we had everything you could possibly want from a hotel and more.
On reception was a young lady named debbie she was so polite and friendly couldnt help us enough.
Rooms were clean and tidy and the food in the dining area was superb.
Keep up the good work.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for the excellent review, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Enda and team
Grantham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2010

The location was first class, the standard of the bedroom when new was good, we had room 507 overlooking the bay. I did not like the walls with scuff marks or dirt in two places, one next to the bed. The plasma tv was faulty in all rooms due to a technical problem which could not be solved at the weekend.
On the plus side, excellent service in the breakfast resturant, ample hot food and attentive staff. £160 for two nights bed & breakfast. Southport was a good place to visit.
Great large underground free car park, but hard to find if you did not know its location beforehand.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
gmramadaplaza, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Southport, responded to this review, 23 November 2010
Many thanks for taking the time to complete your recent review, we are grateful for all feedback we receive.

I read the comment card you completed on Monday morning and without haste the recoration work was carried out in room 507, our commitment is that if we do get something wrong we will respond with immediate action.

Unfortunately this could not be the case with the TV system, we utilise a third party system which had difficulty with the signal strenght in the area. I am pleased to report that this was rectifed in full today to eliminate future problems.

Many thanks for your kind feedback regarding the staff and breakfast, these will be passed on to all concerned.