“Thoroughly Relaxing”
Review of Portland Hall Spa

Portland Hall Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: Portland Hall Spa is a Moroccan themed day spa offering peace, quiet, relaxation, and exceptional customer service.You'll find warmth, cosiness, and quirkiness in the unique, fabulous surroundings of an old Synagogue in the town centre of Southport, Merseyside,NW England.The spa offers massage,facial,body treatments and food. Pamper packages last a few hours or a whole day. Spa breaks are available with the Ramada Hotel. Perfect for couples, friends, and singles.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Thoroughly Relaxing”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Thank you Portland Spa for a superb relaxing mini break. I treated my cousin to a spa mini break for her birthday. I was worried that it may not be up to our expectations after reading a few comments/reviews on here. Well I don't know where these people went to but I can't imagine it was the Portland Hall Spa because the whole day was perfect. Service, top notch, food delicious, and just the right level of attention so as not to hassle or cause us to feel rushed, quite the opposite, they managed to make us feel special & pampered.

Also an excellent choice of hotel. Newly refurbished, it looked like a new hotel. Clean trendy, with again attentive staff & again delicious tasty food. Best of all it was no more than 100 yards from the spa.
And no I am not a member of staff trying this to improve ratings! I am a genuine customer.

Visited June 2014

Manchester, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Relaxin day out”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The spa is set in am old Portuguese Synagogue and has beautiful stained glass windows throughout. These are the original windows put in the synagogue as memorials to family members.
The staff are all extremely friendly and make the whole experience extremely pleasurable.
I would recommend Portland Hall Spa to anyone wanting a relaxing day out with friends but not suitable for large hen parties who want to be drinking and shouting as the communal lounge area is for relaxing between treatments.

Manchester, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Lovely day”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This is a quirky place - it's situated in a former synagogue and its got loads of character. The stained glass windows are beautiful - the staff are really friendly and the spa pool lovely. The treatments were great and the food fab. Don't visit if you like places to be bland and corporate - do visit if you want somewhere different and friendly and a special experience

Visited June 2014
Southport, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Wonderful restaurant - shame about the rest!”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

On arriving we were given a drink of juice and shown the menu to choose our lunch - a very friendly and efficient lady called Michele, who is also the restaurant manager took our order.We were then taken by another member of staff to the changing room - this was also the locker room where everyone stored their clothes - we were told to change into our swimwear and put our clothes in the lockers. 1. No privacy - make sure you know your changing companians VERY well!
2. No lock on the door - anyone can walk in at any time
3. Lots of people who have finished their treatments and want to get their belongings and get changed have to wait in the 'holding pen' (more about this later)
4. We were given robes and told to put a pair of pants in the pocket (no explanation)
5. There was a hair dryer supplied complete with a very well used hairbrush - full of hair.
We were taken to the jet pool and left - the jets were not working and after waiting ten minutes we had to go and find someone to get the jets to work. We were then given some fruit and water while we were in the pool.

Then we were taken to a room where there were lots of other ladies (and gents) all looking very fed up (we found out that some of them had been there for one and a half hours!). We were told we would be called in 10 minutes. 35 minutes later we went to find out what was happening and the staff seemed to be very harassed and did not know what was going on. Eventually we went for the first treatment - a sort of mud bath - very hot and the mud dried out your skin and was very had to remove with a shower that was hardly more than a dripping tap.
Back to the 'holding pen' for ten minutes to wait for our lunch - that turned out to be 45 mins and would have been longer if we had not complained.
The lunch was really good, delicious home made food served again by Michele who could not do enough for us.Unfortunately there was someone in the changing room so I had to eat lunch in a wet costume
We were originally told that all the treatments and lunch etc would be 4 hours in total and one of our party had an appointment in the late afternoon - this meant that we had to cut the sessions short and leave with no more treatments as this would have meant the total time spent was more than 6 hours with all the waiting time. I was not able to get changed as there was someone in the changing room, but I was allowed to get my things and I just put my clothes on in the hall - again over a wet costume and I drove home with a headache thinking that was the most stressful experience and that I would not like to repeat it or wish it on anyone!!!
There was no organisation, the staff did not seem to be able to use the computer to find out what had been booked and this also caused lots of confusion. I say "Make Michelle the Spa Manager as well as the restaurant Manager" as she seems to be the only one with any organisation skills who cares about her clients.

2 Thank lollip0p
Southport, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Nothing special”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

My daughter and I had been looking forward to this visit for weeks and unfortunately thought the experience was OK, nothing special. The receptionist didn't smile or look up on our arrival, someone clearly suited to a different kind of occupation. Our treatments were short and not terribly thorough though the therapists all seemed like pleasant girls. The food was perfectly acceptable and we didn't have to wait around too much like some other people considering how busy it was. My main problem was the atmosphere wasn't relaxing. Other customers looked disgruntled and uncomfortable and there was a very angry customer who had been badly let down having a row with the receptionist. I had to ask if there was somewhere else we could go as we felt very awkward witnessing this. Wouldn't go again, it didn't feel like the lovely treat we'd been hoping for.

1 Thank BydyJuford