“Return visit”
Review of Portland Hall Spa

Portland Hall Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: Portland Hall Spa is a Moroccan themed day spa offering peace, quiet, relaxation, and exceptional customer service.You'll find warmth, cosiness, and quirkiness in the unique, fabulous surroundings of an old Synagogue in the town centre of Southport, Merseyside,NW England.The spa offers massage,facial,body treatments and food. Pamper packages last a few hours or a whole day. Spa breaks are available with the Ramada Hotel. Perfect for couples, friends, and singles.
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I recently had a return visit with a friend, in fact I think my third visit in all. I think the previous reviewer may have experienced an off day, as we had a lovely time. As usual it was a Groupon offer and we enjoyed our treatments and our light lunch.

In fact I've already purchased another offer to go along with a different friend.

The only (incredibly minor) difficulty is working out how to park on the premises as there's a "system" but it's not quite evident if there are few cars parked when you arrive. Soon sorted though.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,594)

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Thank you Portland Spa for a superb relaxing mini break. I treated my cousin to a spa mini break for her birthday. I was worried that it may not be up to our expectations after reading a few comments/reviews on here. Well I don't know where these people went to but I can't imagine it was the Portland Hall Spa because the whole day was perfect. Service, top notch, food delicious, and just the right level of attention so as not to hassle or cause us to feel rushed, quite the opposite, they managed to make us feel special & pampered.

Also an excellent choice of hotel. Newly refurbished, it looked like a new hotel. Clean trendy, with again attentive staff & again delicious tasty food. Best of all it was no more than 100 yards from the spa.
And no I am not a member of staff trying this to improve ratings! I am a genuine customer.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

The spa is set in am old Portuguese Synagogue and has beautiful stained glass windows throughout. These are the original windows put in the synagogue as memorials to family members.
The staff are all extremely friendly and make the whole experience extremely pleasurable.
I would recommend Portland Hall Spa to anyone wanting a relaxing day out with friends but not suitable for large hen parties who want to be drinking and shouting as the communal lounge area is for relaxing between treatments.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

This is a quirky place - it's situated in a former synagogue and its got loads of character. The stained glass windows are beautiful - the staff are really friendly and the spa pool lovely. The treatments were great and the food fab. Don't visit if you like places to be bland and corporate - do visit if you want somewhere different and friendly and a special experience

Reviewed 31 May 2014

On arriving we were given a drink of juice and shown the menu to choose our lunch - a very friendly and efficient lady called Michele, who is also the restaurant manager took our order.We were then taken by another member of staff to the changing room - this was also the locker room where everyone stored their clothes - we were told to change into our swimwear and put our clothes in the lockers. 1. No privacy - make sure you know your changing companians VERY well!
2. No lock on the door - anyone can walk in at any time
3. Lots of people who have finished their treatments and want to get their belongings and get changed have to wait in the 'holding pen' (more about this later)
4. We were given robes and told to put a pair of pants in the pocket (no explanation)
5. There was a hair dryer supplied complete with a very well used hairbrush - full of hair.
We were taken to the jet pool and left - the jets were not working and after waiting ten minutes we had to go and find someone to get the jets to work. We were then given some fruit and water while we were in the pool.

Then we were taken to a room where there were lots of other ladies (and gents) all looking very fed up (we found out that some of them had been there for one and a half hours!). We were told we would be called in 10 minutes. 35 minutes later we went to find out what was happening and the staff seemed to be very harassed and did not know what was going on. Eventually we went for the first treatment - a sort of mud bath - very hot and the mud dried out your skin and was very had to remove with a shower that was hardly more than a dripping tap.
Back to the 'holding pen' for ten minutes to wait for our lunch - that turned out to be 45 mins and would have been longer if we had not complained.
The lunch was really good, delicious home made food served again by Michele who could not do enough for us.Unfortunately there was someone in the changing room so I had to eat lunch in a wet costume
We were originally told that all the treatments and lunch etc would be 4 hours in total and one of our party had an appointment in the late afternoon - this meant that we had to cut the sessions short and leave with no more treatments as this would have meant the total time spent was more than 6 hours with all the waiting time. I was not able to get changed as there was someone in the changing room, but I was allowed to get my things and I just put my clothes on in the hall - again over a wet costume and I drove home with a headache thinking that was the most stressful experience and that I would not like to repeat it or wish it on anyone!!!
There was no organisation, the staff did not seem to be able to use the computer to find out what had been booked and this also caused lots of confusion. I say "Make Michelle the Spa Manager as well as the restaurant Manager" as she seems to be the only one with any organisation skills who cares about her clients.

2  Thank lollip0p