“Sunday lunch :)”

Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Southport
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Sunday lunch :)”
Reviewed 25 April 2012 via mobile

Visited with family last Sunday. i was a little apprehensive as the price of the sunday lunch was £7. Well it was very good value. It is a buffet style self-service carvery with several choices of starters, mains and puddings, including vegetarian. The food was good and plentiful, the room was nicely decorated and the staff were polite.i must say i was surprised it was only £7 for 3 courses! Britannia please dont change the price! :)

The only down side was that you cannot book a table and the dining chairs are big and difficult to move.
I would not hesitate to visit again.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Baddog1212

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (502)
Paisley
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I brought a group of 22 to stay at the Prince Of Wales Southport (20 - 22/4/2012). From start to finish our stay was fantastic, all the rooms were very clean and welcoming, food was excellent and the service from the staff was 1st class, makes it so much easier for organisers when the hotel is like this. Already planning our trip for next year. Thanks to all at the Prince of Wales, Southport

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Joan D
whitehaven
Reviewed 13 April 2012

stayed 2 nights midweek
room was great if a little dated
breakfast was fine
wouldnt put anyone off staying here as we had no problems
would stay here again anyway

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank cumbrianyid
Benidorm, Spain
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Brilliant place to stay with the family! The rooms were basic but pretty comfatable but my only slight discomfort would be with that the room was freezing at points! The food was really tasty, I thought they must have had marco pier whight in the kitchen or something! the hotel was dated but very clean and very nicely decorated! It was a very nice place to stay but I probably would not stay at this place again! (I prefer moderner hotels thats the reason why). Thanks to all the staff who made my train spotting weekend down at southport station a remarkable experience! Thanks so much!

Room Tip: Every room is great but probably not the basement floor or the attic.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank ethel-of-benidorm
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2012

My husband and I had booked a 4-night stay at the Prince of Wales to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. One of the night porters took a clear disliking to us, in particular to my husband, it seems because being a 34-year old musician from London he was not like the hotel's usual guest. On the last night of our stay he called the police, informing them that my husband is a paedophile. Even the police officer called in thought the whole thing was ridiculous. We complained to the duty manager the next morning, and he told us that he would investigate and call us back. We heard nothing, and he would not take our calls. We wrote to Britannia Hotels, who told us they would get back to us within 28 days. Again, we heard nothing. After emailing both the general manager and the head office daily, and not getting a response I finally called the head office who told me they would chase the matter. The next day I got a short email from the duty manager of the hotel, advising us that the night manager had been completely right to do what he had done, as my husband had told an inappropriate joke. Clearly the experience but a total damper on our trip away - I would advise anyone to avoid this company like the plague!!!!!

Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Tofferty

Travellers are raving about these Southport hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2012

It's centrally located and old. The rooms are reasonably good but not brilliant. The parking can be difficult if there's an event at the hotel because the car park gets full and at that point the only option seems to be street parking around the building and there's a limit of 2 hours.

The bar seemed reasonably priced and the buffet dinner was cheap, probably because the food was grim. The veg seems to be put out at the start of the evening and stays there getting softer and softer as the night wears on. Don't bother with the wine.

I had a problem with the electronic key card. The receptionist asked if I had a mobile phone and when I said I did she said they can cause problems with the mag stripe on the card. I said it would have been helpful if I'd been told. Her reply was 'We can't tell 200 people that'.

All of that said, we paid about £40 per night for a weekend and at the price it was OK.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank musketeer1645
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2012

hotel was booked last minute over the phone the cost was very good needed somewhere to stay as going to a funeral when we arrived the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful . the rooms were very nicely decorated the food very good.For £50 a night we had bed breakfast a three couse evening meal and a lovely bottle of wine.I would certainatly reccomend this hotel.
Its close to shops bars restaurants and the lovely beach and pier.

Room Tip: rooms to the front would give you more views of the town
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends