“EXECUTIVE ROOM?”

Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in Southport
wolverhampton
“EXECUTIVE ROOM?”
Reviewed 28 June 2012

We booked a weekend break on line at this hotel for the 23rd/ 24th June so we could take our Grandchildren to the seaside.We were told it would be an Executive room. When we arrived we were given room 307 it was cold and dismal not what we were expecting at all, the bathroom was huge with no radiator only a towel hot rail that did not work. I went downstairs to see the receptionist and asked for the radiators to be turned on she said," it works on the outside temperture if it isn't cold enough they won't come on," and we've turned the hot rails off because to many guests were burning themselves". When we came back from the beach we had a good look around both rooms and we found,damp patches on the ceiling, black marks on the walls and bed linen, tea or coffee stains down the wall,all windows were draughty with paint flaking off, one headboard was broken and two bedside cabinet drawers were also broken, chair uholstery was ripped, standard lamp not working,all furniture was knocked about, the shower made a screaming noise when used, and some filthy individual had wiped their nose down the wall where my grandaughter was sleeping.The second room where the children slept was a room on its own at some stage and had a door leading on to the corridor this door in my opinion is very insecure it is kept locked by a cheap aluminium bolt.Executive room this is not and a call to the hotel inspector is in order. This room is in need of a major overhaul we did not stop for the second night and went home. On the plus side Breakfast and Dinner were satisfactory. The lifts are a joke for such a big hotel.

Room Tip: Ask to view room first and ask to relocate if not satisfied.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank brian h

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (486)
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2012

I had my wedding here in May and it was amazing - best day of my life! The staff couldn't have been nicer, Nick and Maria were there all night if my husband, myself or any of my guests needed anything at all. The room was decorated brilliantly, I was so overwhelmed - it was better than I could have imagined! Everything ran smoothly and on time. The food was great and the bar and waiting staff were all lovely. I had no complaints from guests, only compliments! Only one thing went wrong which was out of the hotels control - one of the heat lamps for the evening buffet exploded and unfortunately some of the glass went into the food. However, I was informed immediately, they got rid of the ruined food and replaced it with an exceptional alternative as it would have taken too long to cook another lasagne! So we actually ended up better off!! The bedroom we were given was fantastic - one of the bridal suites. Shame we couldn't stay longer to make the most of it! The overall package given to us by the Prince was great, would highly recommend!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EmEm123
Ellesmere Port, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2012

We stayed in this hotel for one night after staying in the Scarisbrick Hotel for 2 nights (they were fully booked the 3rd night). Thank goodness it was only one night....
The only rooms they had left were executive suites and we asked for a sofa bed as there were 3 of us - no problem they said. The sofa bed was the most uncomfortable bed ever - there was just no way any of us could have slept on it and experienced even a mildly good nights sleep. We asked for a Z-bed alternative and this was even worse. My partner ended up sleeping on the floor. Luckily, the member of staff who had come to make up the bed brought us loads of quilts and blankets to serve as a make shift mattress, but to have to sleep on the floor of a hotel room when the beds provided are not appropriate to sleep on just doesn't make sense to me?
I would not have considered the room an executive one, the bed was a double (it had been a king size in the Scarisbrick family room), we had to ask for extra pillows, towels (again!), and tea/coffee/milk, there was a small window which the curtains didn't adequately cover and let in light from the outside security lights all night, the tv was ancient, not enough plug sockets in the room, the shower was ancient and turning the temperature dial more than 1/2 millimetre turned the water from scolding hot to freezing cold, the sink gurgled merry away to itself constantly whilst the shower was running.
There was entertainment available every evening in the hotel - the night we were there was 30 minutes of a young girl singing kareoke style looking at her laptop screen most of the time, and an uninspiring 10 quiz questions in relation to the year 1969.
Breakfast was usual buffet style which was very nice but tea and coffee was undrinkable.
Car parking was plentiful and £2 for the night but shouldn't it be a free perk for hotel customers?
As a guest of this hotel, you can use the pool/gym facilities of the Scarisbrick hotel 2 minutes down the road - unfortunately the roof of the pool had caved in the day before so it was closed - it's a shame that staff in the Prince of Wales didn't bother telling us of this when checking in
The hotel had over 10 function rooms of various shapes and sizes which seem totally under utilised
All in all, we will not be staying in Britannia hotels again

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Southport hotels

North Wales
Reviewed 2 June 2012

We stayed at the Prince of Wales at the end of May 2012. We had a very enjoyable break. Our room which was at the rear of the hotel was large and comfortable. The buffet style breakfast and evening dinner were enjoyable and exceeded ourexpectations. Although there wer 4 coaches in the hotel we encountered no delays in meals service. The staff we encountered were all friendly and helpful. As a bonus the car park at the front of the hotel with access directly onto Lord Street was excellent value at £2 per night.

Room Tip: Brtannia have special offer wine and dine rates.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
, Manager at Britannia Prince of Wales - Southport, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
Thank You for your favorable review, I hope to see you soon in the Prince of Wales Hotels.
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Having stayed at the Grand in Llandudno I wasn't expecting great things but... We were assigned as part of a group booking room 134, the box with no windows behind the lift. Oh joys, fully booked couldnt do anything, pricing nothing to do with the manager all central you know. The coup de Grace was the maid entering our room (and several friends) on our check out morning knock enter straight away - Oh sorry... It has the mst ridculous late check in and early check out. Not the cleanest and never again Brittania.....

Room Tip: Check they give you a room with windows - always helps!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank The_Jockmeister
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2012

This is a shabby, depressing, almost derelict hotel with shockingly old fashioned rooms along endless, barely lit corridors. Victorian furniture recovered from junk shops, unbelievably uncomfortable beds and dirty bathrooms. No wifi in the room and the telly didn't work. Crumbling plaster, peeling paint and dirt everywhere.
The grounds are unkempt, with weeds and litter abounding, and you can't get into the car park because they don't prioritize staying guests. What to do with your car and how to get your luggage into the hotel? That's up to you; you're on your own.If you wanted to wait for someone to come out and did manage to get in, they will charge you.
Which brings me to the Britannia Group, the operators of this hotel.
I made my booking on-line via laterooms.com but got my dates wrong. I spotted it immediately the confirming email arrived from the hotel; a matter of a few minutes. Went straight back to correct it only to be told I couldn't! They simply would not acept my cancellation and give me my money back although I had made an obvious, honest mistake in completing the on-line booking form and tried to correct it in minutes.
I made a "just in case" booking with Best Western in Lytham - a few miles away - while trying to sort things out with the Britannia and when I eventually caved in and paid the hotel another £30 to change my dates I emailed them to cancel. Immediately got a very nice email back regretting I couldn't make it this time and looking forward to seeing me on another occasion. The email confirmed that nothing had been charged to my card.
There could not have been more contrast between the behaviour of the two groups. One obviously either in financial difficulty - and having seen the state of the hotel now that wouldn't surprise me - or bent on outdoing Ryanair when it comes to service and the other, professional, courteous and no problem at all to deal with.
My advice? Do not have anything to do with the shyster Britannia Group or their shabby hotels.

Room Tip: A room in any other hotel but the Britannia would be my advice.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank briesmith
Darwen Lancs
Reviewed 29 May 2012

The Brittannia website says children eat and stay for free, It costs double to take the kids,It was a good offer (bed breakfast and evening meal with bottle of wine £45 ) but add two kids and its £90, Its cheaper to go with two more adults you would get seperate rooms with jacuzzi baths and two bottles of wine We shared and the kids dont even get a drink.bum deal for kids brittania shame on you, Apart from that it was a lovely hotel. nice rooms, fabulous building,very nice staff, good bar and food , would recomend on the proper deals

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family