Britannia Prince of Wales - Southport
  • Pool
Rosedale Hotel(Southport)
  • Beachfront
1,644 results
All reviewsnational holidayslarge bathroombar pricesshort breakgraham
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We have stayed before and it was fine but I feel that the hotel standards have dropped - we did get a late DBB deal but you still should expect basics to be right - the room we had was fine a little dated but clean, beds though very uncomfortable - the decor and general upkeep of public areas are not good and need sorting out - evening meal was very mixed with some food ok but you felt no care or thought had gone into making it or for that matter people liking it- breakfast again mixed with some ok food but again no care had gone into it and you just wanted to get out as quick as possible - I felt most staff were polite and helpful to me but did witness some disgruntled guests who took it out on the staff which was not on ( there is a way to complain and it is not shouting at staff) finally I suppose whilst people still keep going ( it was full) they don't have to change but we will look at better hotels in future - it is a shame as it could be a great place!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank runningraham
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We have stayed in a Britannia hotel before so given what we paid (which was very cheap) we didn't expect too much. On arrival there weren't any parking spaces left so had to park on the street and pay, but a space became free so we quickly moved the car. We booked a family room (2 adults and 2 children) and we were given a 2 room suite. It was very dark as the inner room had no windows and the outer room had 2 slim windows and 1 was covered with Ivy. We had to have all the lights on all the time and had to stand in the window or bathroom to put makeup on. The 4 poster bed was comfortable but the 2 put-u-up beds for the children weren't! The room was very cold until about 8.00pm when the heating was turned on and it was always off again by morning. My daughter and I had to keep our coat on at times! We were offered a fan heater and blankets, but the heater wouldn't blow hot air!! Other parts of the hotel were also very cold, the corridor down to our room and in particular the dining room. The kitchen outside door had obviously been left open and the gale came through into the dining room. The bathroom was a good size and the shower was very powerful and hot. The décor was very shabby both in the room and elsewhere. The windows were absolutely filthy and you struggled to see out of some of them. The food was ok. The breakfasts were good with plenty of choice, but the dinners whilst adequate were very canteenish. The meats we're ok but the selection of veg was very poor. Staff tried to be helpful and the drinks at the bar were very reasonable. The place inside looked generally clean, but the whole place needs a complete re-vamp. Taking away all of the cheap tacky signage would also give a better image.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

This is quite possibly the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. The corridors, including the pipes on display look like something out of a horror film. Rude staff (the rudest ever experienced) and the food was vile. Luckily I was out for drinks which meant I didn't have to stay long at this hotel but I can not stress enough about the staff. I felt like I was an inconvenience as they had to haul their conversation. Attitudes were repulsive, as was the manager. All in all, please stay at any other hotel or a shop doorway as this really is the pits!

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Mike-Blackpool
Reviewed 19 April 2014

the hotel,needs updating but that would not have been a problem but the bar and waiting staff were surly and with attitude. Kept waiting at the bar whilst barman mopped the floor and surly when I was served, No Chardonnay at the ballroom bar and the barman refused to go and get some from one of the other bars. No apologies when the Pino Grigio was undrinkable. the food was less than average with me having to ask what the meat was, soggy roast pots and overcooked veg. Expect packet coffee and tea at the table with a insulated jug of water on the table which is put out at the beginning of breakfast so it was Luke warm by the time we went down for breakfast. Staff very unwilling to give us another hot jug of water. Jam, marmalade and butter all placed in large bowls left out throughout the session I don't like to think what happens to what is left over I would think it's very unhygienic. The promised entertainment was cancelled. The staff definitely need some training about customer service and realise that a genuine sorry can resolve a lot of problems.A thoroughly disappointing stay spoiled mainly by the awful bar and waiting staff. Never again.

Room Tip: Room 126 is a family room with two double beds away from the worst noise of the ballroom
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 April 2014

The pictures make it look wonderful, but it was rather shabby, there were not enough staff on reception or the bar, we ate across the road at Wetherspoons because other guests told us the service was slow and the food was "not good". Our bedroom was rather small and had pigeons cooing outside but the window was opaque and would not open. I did have a peek at the ballroom even though it was closed and it looked fantastic. I would have liked to attend a function there!

Room Tip: pay the extra for a view, otherwise it is like sleeping in an inside cabin.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple