“great stay”

Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Southport
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“great stay”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

one night DB&B on KGB deal. checked in prompt on 3pm no problem, overnight car parking cost £2 for residents. reception staff busy but efficient., every where well presented and clean.room was good size double at rear of hotel,a tub chair and comfortable dressing table chair, and all furnishings well upholstered. dinner buffet plenty of choice,cauldren of homemade soup and bread,whole cooked salmon,tuna with mayo and salad choice,hot pot and several other meat dishes with usual veg/potatoes.choice of 3 desserts. after a quiet comfortable night, buffet breakfast was again well presented,full english etc. location is perfect for all southport. well worth the money.

2 Thank dollysue_85

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (490)
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I have just returned home after spending two nights at The Prince of Wales Hotel. I was very apprehensive about staying here after reading so many poor reviews but I found a pleasant friendly atmosphere, friendly helpful staff and clean room, good food with good choices on the menu. Ok, yes it needs some TLC but I don't think that warrants a poor review necessarily. If you want five star then you should go to five star hotels in my opinion.. I did feel sorry for the staff in the dining room as I felt there weren't enough of them to do the clearing away as quickly as people would like and they only have one pair of hands like the rest of us.. I was disgusted with one lady who was so rude to one poor man who was running his feet off just because her plate wasn't taken away the second she put her cutlery down. The management should consider having more staff in there to take what must be quite a strain, off the staff who at times probably find it a real struggle during busy times. The hotel is in a great location right by the shops and just a few minutes walk from the beach. I would definitely stay there again and would recommend it to anybody looking for a reasonably priced break or weekend.

Room Tip: Perhaps people who are light sleepers maybe would be better on a higher floor where it may be quiete...
1 Thank Mary G
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Booked this hotel on a KGB Deal so was not expecting a 5 star hotel, however neither was I expecting a minus 2 star rating! Outside looked ok but ehen you walk through the doors the smell of urine, damp and decay hits you. Booked into an executive suite (a large prison cell facing the Berlin wall)the window was above the wall 2' ×6' ! I suppose if I were a Giraffe it would have been fine!. Phoned reception to complain and they upgraded us to the Royal suite which was better but old and dated. Went down for dinner! All I can say is disgusting and unhygienic. No organisation. Same story with breakfast, cold plates and painted hand rails so the elderly folk in there found it difficult to access the stairs., the only good thing the smell of paint coverd the other nasty odours
Iv been to other Britannia Hotels and they were ok but this one needs to be refurbished, a new chef and management or closed down

Room Tip: Dont go there the rooms are shabby
3 Thank 52dmck

Travellers are raving about these Southport hotels

kettering
Reviewed 25 April 2014

After staying 3 nights DBB in room 224 we were very happy. Our room overlooked Lord Street, very large and although fittings not new, it was clean an undamaged. Breakfast was a delight, fresh juices,cereals, bacon, egg, sausage, fried bread, beans and tomatoes. Fresh fruit, sliced. Fresh croissants. Dinner was also fresh roasted meats, veg, fish, pasta etc. Variety. Staff excellent, happy, clearing dishes away straight away, can highly recommend this hotel. Entertainment is adequate but there is plenty of alternate venues in Southport if you are not happy. Very relaxing. Independent travellers.

Room Tip: Front of hotel. 224 great.
2 Thank Sanandfran
Andover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

I was at the hotel for a 'Great Gatsby' themed weekend but it was more like a 'Fawlty Towers' theme. The room had no window at all (no natural light), the heating wasn't working properly, the bathroom door jammed and the room was next to the lift which made an awful noise. The hotel's interior was not well cared for. The food was at best mediocre and waiting service poor.
At breakfast there was no fresh pot of tea or coffee offered, only a teabag and jug hot water to make your own. After people had finished breakfast, the staff made no effort to clear and re-lay tables for newcomers, the dining area was full of dirty tables.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
2 Thank andrew_andy1
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Initially I had booked into their sister hotel The Swarisbrick because it had a Jacuzzi and pool, on arrival after driving around and around for a parking space I was informed that they had over booked and we were being transferred to their sister hotel The prince of wales which incidentally did not have a pool and that was the only reason I have chosen the other hotel. Ok so things happen we decide we may as well just check in as only here for 1 night. Our room was exceptionally basic and very dated, the sheets however were clean but the badly made and the bed had more springs than I care to mention, the water on the evening was nice and hot however when I got up at 6am there was no water hot or cold from the taps or toilet I found this very frustrating as meant I could not bath, wash, use the loo or have a tea in our room, not acceptable at all. Breakfast well I have never ever seen such a disgrace not only from staff but the food, firstly a female chef walked out to put eggs onto the counter her chef whites were absolutely filthy and wandering around where guests are it set a bad impression to the kitchen cleanliness in general, my son is a chef so I know whites can get dirty but this was 8am and that tunic looked like it had been cooked in for days not hours, the food was of a poor standard and priced at £5 pp I could of and wish I had gone to the pub chain across the road who do a superb breakfast at £3pp next I had a sausage on my plate I got up to get my husband a pastry and the waitress just took my plate without even asking my husband if I had finished and in actual fact I had only had 1 sausage and was about to get some toast so really I was left with no breakfast, yes I could've got up and got another plate but really why should I have my plate taken away without so much as a 'is plate finished with' he was sat open mouthed at her, noticing we had no sugar on our table my husband walked across the dining room to ask the waiter for sugar he said its on your table, if it were on our table we would not of asked for some, my husband found some for himself, nobody asked us for our room number on entering for breakfast nor at any time during breakfast so I can only presume if you don't pay for it you could still have it, defeats the object really! I would not pay for this breakfast given the choice as it is not worth the money! On check out we were not asked about our stay or bid a safe journey, the customer service in all area's reception, restaurant, bar is very poor. Both my husband and I work within this industry and believe that it is not imperative to have fancy fixtures and fittings or contemporary décor but the basics like food quality, customer service and hot and cold water are not luxuries and you should receive it at even the lowest priced hotels. I am totally blown away at the serious lack of customer service we experienced during our 1 night stay. I would not recommend this hotel, its not a matter of you get what you pay for as we paid £49,00 on a deal for 1 night B&B which although cheap it was half price god forbid someone had paid the full price...

2 Thank Lollyguinny
Norfolk UK
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We are not fussy people but this was the worst. Walking to the room we noticed the walls are cracked. But wide corridoors and very high ceilings. The room smelt of sigarette smoke, was dark and dingy. Our booking was for an Executive room with a spa bath. What we were given was a small dark and cold broom-cupboard, that smelt damp. The window was blanked out so it was a miserable place to be. Dark and cold. I asked for another and was given a slightly larger room, again an opaque window, no view, not even of bricks! This was a bit warmer but still it smelt damp. The sofa had a cigarette burn... We did not stay!
On asking at the reception I was told that I could not have a refund.
I politly told the duty manager that I was not moving until I had my £188 back.
She suddenly found a way to process it.
This is a terrible place to stay, if you want a nice place then go to The Vincent - we did!

... and that was lovely

Thanks Britannia for wasting our time
I would rather sleep in my car.

Room Tip: A tip to get a good room Go to The Vincent...
2 Thank Mike_The_Bike_10