“Never Ever Again”

Leicester, United Kingdom
“Never Ever Again”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Never Ever Again
The Prince of Wales (Britannia) in Southport has a special place for me and my wife – or at least it used to - the rooms are more run down than even the lowest Best western standard, but there is a great foyer/reception/bar/breakfast room and we’ve stayed there several times chilling out with a beer in the foyer watching the comings and goings. It has a great deal of character and a certain faded elegance that conjures up visions of long past glories. The service and welcome are also usually spot-on. Even though we can now go up market, we do tend to return there every now and again for sentimental reasons.
We booked a full 4 weeks in advance for a special weekend. There was no reason to travel that far other than specifically to be in the Prince of Wales Hotel. That was the entire purpose.
After a 4 hour journey we arrived, around 8.30 pm, ready to relax and take up our place in the Foyer with a cold beer, only to be told “sorry, there’s a conference on, we’ve moved your booking to our “sister” establishment, The Scarisbrick Hotel down the road”.
“Are you serious?” we asked, thinking it was a misplaced attempt at humour.
They were serious. We protested about breach of contract & the whole point of travelling to Southport being to stay at The Prince of wales, but to no avail. Sorry, you’ve got no room, we’ve moved you, tough.
We dragged our bags to the Scarisbrick. My god, what a complete and utter doss-house this is. I cannot begin to describe how utterly appalling an establishment it is. We felt soiled just walking into the room we were palmed off with. Ignoring the terrible decoration, let’s focus on the misshapen mattresses, the frayed and torn curtains, the bath with missing enamel, the mould in the grouting, the door that wasn’t fitted properly, the stained and crusty carpet, the scratches on every bit of woodwork and the bizarre smell (a combination of damp, mould and B.O?).
The phone was for some reason fitted in the bathroom, presumably so the normal occupants could call an ambulance quickly if they OD’d while shooting up.
We went back downstairs, dodging the shouting drunks staggering in the corridors (neck tattoos, look like a knife and fork would be a novelty to them) and asked for our money back.
“Is there a problem?” we were asked. Really, if you need to ask you probably wouldn’t understand the answer. The receptionist tried to be helpful, but the manager didn’t even bother looking up from his paper. He could do with a good slap. Possibly from one of the 2 bouncers on the door of the bar-cum-chav-nightclub that was pumping out dreadful 80’s disco music as we left.
So, to cut the story short (I won’t detail the futile return to the Prince of Wales), after singing the praise of The Prince of Wales for years, as a result of this experience I will now never ever book another single room with them, or any other Britannia Hotel, again. Ever.
Had to spend the night at a Premier Inn – lovely service, great friendly receptionist, absolutely no character at all and we could have been in any town anywhere, but it did smell of new carpets and clean linen.

Room Tip: Don't go there - they'll let you down.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Stuart R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (502)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We stayed at this lovely old hotel to see a Liverpool match at Anfield. The staff were very kind and welcoming, as were the other guests. The place has a great feel.

The real pleasant surprise came well after we checked out. After I got home in the US, I noticed I had left a drawer full of socks and underwear (clean, thank you) in our room. I emailed the front desk to let them know.

They just arrived, and they paid 13 pounds to send them to me. I find this extraordinary service and am highly impressed. My initial impressions were correct. These are really fine folks.

Dave Richardson
Seattle, Washington, USA

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We stayed here last weekend and I've got to say it was an awful experience ! We originally were booked into the scaribrick hotel however were moved here when the scaribrick was overbooked. On arriving we were promised an upgrade to an executive room because of the mix up and an executive room it was not ! We were given room 314 which was like a shoebox and most definetly was not clean. Stains in the toilet and coffee spilt up the wall by the bed. The room generally felt scummy. The then moved us to room 324 which was bigger and at least the bathroom and bed were clean the rest was really questionable. Very tatty furnishing, remote control had gaffer tape on the back as it had no cover, the armchairs looked grotty it really wasn't what I would call an executive room. As we were only there for one night we thought we could just make the best of it. We therefore went out to enjoy the sunshine and returned a couple of hours later. On returning to our room we found our key did not work in the door and therefore we could not get in, only to be told by another guest that they had been given our room. On enquiring at reception they couldn't understand why our key wouldn't work so gave us a new one and said that the other guests must have been mistaken and just got the wrong room number. However after speaking to them again it turns out they had been given our room and not only that had been in our room with the keys that reception had gave them! They knew something wasn't right when they saw all our belongings in there. Needless to say we had car keys and everything in that room! At this point we were fuming and I spoke to the manager who could only apologise however as they had no other rooms (seems like a common theme judging by other comments) they could only offer us a couple of free drinks which we did not take. It honestly was a complete joke. There was that many who were being moved from the scaribrick to there that I really do have the suspicion that they were double booking the scaribrick in order to fill this sad hotel. It's a shame really as if they just invested a little time ie lick of paint and a thorough clean then this place would fair a lot better. I'm not one for usually writing reviews on hotels however after putting a complaint into Britannia hotels and the way we were dealt with in southport I seriously doubt we will ever hear back from them. A poor rating is actually quite generous.

1 Thank Diane C

Travellers are raving about these Southport hotels

Woking, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We were not originally booked into this hotel, but when Pontins of Southport messed up our holiday booking they put us in this hotel which is all owned by the Britannia hotel group.
I must start with our impresions of the outside, well the entrance is just how it would have been all them years ago, it is a shame that part of the prince of wales gold signage is hanging down and missing, the outside is dirty and falling apart, I noticed tiles on the two small roof over hangs had slipped and were hanging there above parking bays, parts of the gutters had rotted and fallen down, in general it needs a full overhaul and a repaint and it would look lovely.
You enter through a original wooden turnstile door which is lovely with brass fixings, it is a shame everyone stands at the door to smoke, you have to pass through a smoke haze to go in, this is not nice, if they are not smoking the stench of cigaretes is horrible, if only the people were made to go down into the small garden at least management could keep the entrance door free of smoke. The entrance room is lovely with high ceilings, lots of original fixtures and fittings, lovely gold paint work as you look along the corridors, the ballroom is amazing, a proper sprung floor, you can just imagine being there in its hay days, well decorated and the lovely natural light from the glass roof, I would love to attend a dance there. Toilets very clean and again in charicter with the victorian building.
Parking is £2 a day/night, if your a guest, you pay when you leave. we had no problems parking at all, wifi in the public area was quick and easy, reception staff all lovely but you do have to wait a while as there seems to only be one person at a time on their. My wifes medication was put into their fridge, we just asked for it and they got it when needed, great service from them.
The lift is a nightmare as they have shut the old victorian lift which was called the north lift, so one lift for all guests, at breakfast time it was hectic, it needs two lifts for sure, the old victorian lift has recntly shut in 2012 after years of faithfull service, you should take a look it is a piece of history, lovely metal railings and mouldings, and the lovely fully wooden lift, shame it is not in use as it is part of the history of the building and I hope they dont take it out.
The decor as you venture on the floors is a bit old and tatty, cracks in the ceilings, a bit dull, carpets in good condition, lighting was ok, I can again see it was a grand hotel in its day but has been neglacted, and I hope they invest the money into it to get it looking good again, our room was the penthouse 321, long corridor, turn left into a big lounge/dining room, full of old furniture and a door that opens onto a balcony, now it is from here you can get a lovely view but can also see a collapsed gutter laying in one of the roof areas under the penthouse bedroom window, and the gutter near the balcony has very rusted mounts and will collapse soon im sure, it shows the bad state of the building, and needs some serious work. Back inside the corridor you go right into a big victorian bathroom, old pink sink and pink toilet with a full size bath and a shower, ok it hadf lots of charcter but the carpet smelt so rotten, we went out and got neutradol to freshen it up, carpet in a bathroom? it was rotting im sure. It was clean but the shower had lots of black mold in it, needs a good scrub, the poor maintence meant they could not even mount the shower on the wall straight! I think they need to take more pride in what they do, it seems very rushed. Into the bedroom, 2 double beds very creeky but comfy, a sofa was in their, a pink sink in the corner, old built in cupboards. All in all decor not bad, but there was a great atmosphere in this room, I loved it being old and original.
We stayed a extra night and moved to room 218 which was a family room, well the corridors again need serious work to get them decorated, a bit drab, but the room was nice, 2 bedrooms and a bathroom, all clean, and all in recenable condition, we liked this room especially for the price, but you look out the filthy windows to see the dirty water tank, all the beer barrels, kitchens entrance, and about 4 extractor vents, if you open a window it is noisy with all the vents going and they go all day and all night, in the mornign all the cooking smell entered the room, it was a shame as it meant it let the room down a bit, in the summer you want windows open and that would be extreamly annoying.
All in all I loved the original features, loved the old lift, loved the ballroom, if they invest some money into this hotel it will be a lovely place to go back to. For the price it is good, but it could be so much better, please please invest some money where it is needed, I will come back in the future and hope to see it really improved, worth a visit, dont expect pure luxury, but enjoy a relaxing stay, just imagine what the place was like all them years ago

Room Tip: Penthouse is worth paying extra for, it is nice to have the space, room 321 was the penthouse, I hav...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Barnoldswick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

we stayed at this hotel for one night on the 31st may 14 . Having read reviews on here i will say i was dreading it ! i found the hotel clean tidy and full of origanal character . The room we had was large with a large bathroom and very clean i understand people saying it needs modernising but i liked it the way it was an old building full of quirkyness ! Breakfast was a typical hotel buffet breakfast and was quite edible for what we paid we were happy with what we recieved and would stay again

Room Tip: executive double room are large clean and good value !
1 Thank sarah06riley
Holsworthy, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I had many fond memories of this hotel having stayed here for a few conferences over the years but I hadn`t been back for about 8 years,I thought it would be nice for my wife to see one of the venues that I often talk about as one of my favourites so I booked an overnight stay on the return leg of a trip to Scotland,what a mistake!
We arrived at approx 3pm and had to negoiate a fornicating couple on the drive just to get into the carpark.The exterior appearance is extremely tatty with half the name sign missing.The reception area was also scruffy and with a large group of people in for Sunday lunch and to watch the end of season football match the single receptionist had her work cut out dealing with so many people.We were given room 203 which was pretty grotty,the windows are rotten and look about to fall out,the tv was older than me,despite new radiators there was no heating on and it was pretty chillyand my wife had to get dressed to go to bed which was rock hard with some shocking pillows.
The bar area is also is desperate need of an overhaul which should begin with the staff.They were awful,lazy dissinterested,certainly no advert for the place which incidentley serves the most revolting coffee anywhere!.We couldn`t wait to leave and did so well before breakfast the following morning.This place really needs a spot visit from higher management to sort it out or maybe this could be Alex Pollizzi`s greatest challenge!We won`t be back!

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel.
5 Thank bentrep
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We paid only £99 for the two of us for two nights bed and breakfast and evening meal with KGB deal good deal put don't expect 5 star.
The Hotel is in an ideal position in the town centre of Southport the building is very tired and the room we stayed in was even more tired uncomfortable bed which had its day but everything was clean fair play!
Nice breakfast but the dinner on both nights was very disappointing I couldn't eat nothing only the soup!!
So yes go for it but next time we would eat out in the evening

1 Thank eirlysbach