“Very disappointing”

Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in Southport
Seaford, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I stayed for one night at this hotel recently. I chose it because I had never been before and had worked in its sister hotel on Lord Street many moons ago when both were privately owned and were beautiful. What a disappointment. I booked an 'executive' double room as I was advised that these were the only rooms with a view of Lord Street. However, what they didn't say was that there were enormous overgrown trees blocking said view!! Room 202 was enormous, but that's about the only positive I can think of. It was very 'tired', the chair was filthy and torn. Curtain lining was torn and the sofa had so many springs sticking up it was difficult to find a spot to sit on.
The bed for comfy and the duvet cover was spotless, but the duvet itself was nylon which looked as though it had been washed at 100 degrees and resembled something between meringue and craters on the moon! The tv only had around 3 channels that worked and the tea and coffee on offer was very sparse!
The bathroom was long and thin but only had a voile curtain at the window (no blind to close) so having a bath or shower with the light on would have been very interesting for the residents walking outside!! The toilet seat what hanging off at one side and the floor was in need of a thorough clean. The grout on the tiles was full of mould and the sealant round the bath had seen better days.
When I walked into breakfast the next morning there wasn't a waiter/waitress to be seen. I found myself a seat and helped myself to orange juice whilst I waited. It tasted more like very watery orange squash not juice! Two members of staff walked in and helped themselves to food on the way into the kitchen (not very professional) and when I finally helped myself to the buffet breakfast it was cold. Breakfast started at 7.30 and I was there at 8. The toast was on a tray ready toasted, but obviously cold as there must have been about 50 slices on the tray. Again very disappointing for £5 extra.
I didn't ever see a porter in the hotel and the lift was out of order so I had to use the service lift to take my case upstairs - not that pleasant. Good for my waistline as I used the stairs after that!
It's a shame that this hotel has been left to get in such a sorry state - it used to be a magnificent place but sadly no more. For one night I made do but if I'd been staying for a holiday I would have asked for another room and not paid for an 'executive'. If that was an executive I hate to think what a standard would be like.
In my humble opinion Britannia needs to close this hotel for a winter season and gut it to make it acceptable. On a positive note the reception staff were very helpful. Not so much the restaurant staff. There does seem to be plenty of parking at the hotel, but I wasn't told until I arrived that I had to pay, again for one night I didn't mind.

Room Tip: I wouldn't pay the extra for an executive room or the breakfast. There is a cafe just round the...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Jean B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (486)
Middle which
Reviewed 5 August 2014

very please with my stay.very large hotel many bars and rooms.
food very good with all you can eat.
bar is a good price as well.
rooms are very clean and modern , towels and bedding are super clean and very white.
nothing to moan about here..
all guest where pension age or older(which was great for us).
very good value for money.. and parking cheap at £2 a night

Room Tip: city rooms have no windows. no a/c in any rooms
1 Thank David C
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel for one night. Twin bed with en suite for £45. Had a three course meal for under ten pounds. Excellent value, food good and plenty choice. Large room and bathroom.

In need of some decorating and upgrading, but was a lovely hotel I am sure in its day.

Excellent value for money. Staff polite and efficient for such a large hotel.

Room Tip: Try and avoid lower ground floor
1 Thank Liz H
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This hotel is the worst I've ever stayed in and it fails on so many levels that it appears beyond redemtion. The fabiic is very tired but basics are missed by simple staff training and there is no excuse for dirty rooms.
Apart from the receptionist, who handled my complaint no one else look as though they wanted to be there or had any interest, whatsover.
This was a first and last for Britannia Hotels!

6 Thank Rob W

Travellers are raving about these Southport hotels

Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

After being moved from a sister hotel because they had no rooms!! I arrived at the POW with my 11 year old & 10 week old baby (& of course all the luggage that goes with a young baby). I was given the key to a 3rd floor room, Lift was tiny & we all couldn't fit in, got out the lift & had to carry the pram & luggage down some stairs to the room, room was filthy with sweet wrappers under the bed!!
I then took my family back down & complained, I asked for a refund (which I received) & managed to find, at short notice, another hotel for myself & family.
I then noticed that another full payment has been taken from my credit card two days later????
I am amazed that Britannia Hotels are still trading!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Marie D
Bury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This hotel has only two rooms to accommodate the disabled, one with twin beds and one with a double bed. We booked paid for a two night stay and our requirements that we must have twin beds and must have shower cubicle and if access to the room required by lift the room should be near to the lift, all requirements were confirmed before we arrived, my sister is disabled with terminal cancer and the equipment she has to use will only fit on a single bed. when we arrived 25/7/2014 we found out that we had been allocated a room with a double bed, and when we complained we were told they only had two rooms with a shower cubicle fit for disabled that the twin room had been taken by someone who had booked for 6 days and already had three and three to go, I showed the receptionist the booking confirmation agreeing our requirements she just said she was very sorry but thats all they had. Of course I have submitted a letter of complaint but surely it would be easy to create more accommodation for disabled if they replaced 50% of the shower over baths with shower cubicles its not rocket science.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Southport Lancashire
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Please ignore visiting in aug 2013,could not go back any further.I visited this place for my brothers wedding 22 years ago,and nothing has changed since,not even the carpets or decor.I live in Southport,and can only say that this place is an eyesore,and would not send my mother-in-law there,rest her soul,it has been falling backwards for a few years now,and as a Taxi driver in the town,picking up regularly from the POW,and some of the comments I hear are,as people have said on here with their reviews,must be true,as the majority say the place is awful,staff are ignorant and rude,place needs a full revamp,with new decor,carpeting,everything about the place is olde fashioned,even the outer of the building,as it does look as though it is a very dated building,and definately does need a complete makeover.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family