We stayed at the Prince of Wales Hotel 24th to 26th July and can only say what a great hotel it was for the price. We had booked dinner, bed and breakfast in a standard room. A large hen party were checking in in front of us and although it took about 20 minutes for us to check in, we can only praise the reception staff for their efficiency. Our room 335 was on the 3rd floor near the lift and the hen party were also in the same area, but once inside our room we didn't hear a thing, the rooms were so well soundproofed. On entering our room, I was amazed at the space we had in comparison to a hotel we recently stayed in London for nearly double the price. The door opened into a hallway with wardrobe, the bathroom faced the door then another door to the left led into the bedroom. The room was well furnished with wardrobe, dressing table with 4 large drawers, desk with 2 drawers and bedside cabinets with shelves and drawers. We also had 2 chairs and small TV although the TV reception wasn't very good. The bed was reasonable comfy but not the best. There was plenty of tea and coffee although it was short of milk, but extra could be ordered through reception. The room furniture is old fashioned but that is what the hotel is all about. The bathroom was large and modern with shower over bath and nice thick towels. The rooms were spotlessly clean. The only complaints were the room was hot on the Saturday there was a wedding party in the ballroom and our room was right over the top, so the music was very loud when we went back to our room at about quarter to one, but it stopped about half an hour later. It would disturb people who like to go to bed early, so it would be worth checking if you need a quiet room. I'd suggest the hotel invest in double glazing since the window frames are ancient and appear to be rotting and air conditioning or ceiling fans.
Now to the restraunt, what do the people who have critised the food normally eat. We enjoyed every morsel we ate. It was traditional English fayre, nothing fancy but that is in keeping with a traditional hotel. On the Friday we didn't have starters or soup so can't comment on that. My partner had ham and I had liver and onions, both perfectly cooked to our taste. There was also a vegetarian choice. The potatoes, chips and veg were cooked to perfection, the cauliflower was a little crisp but that's how we like it. The cheesecake was also very tasty. The staff were very efficient, not on top of us but there when needed to clear the table and serve tea and coffee after the meal. The evening meal on the Saturday was just as good, this time my partner had soup and I had a starter from the salad bar and it was to die for. The breakfast was also very good with cereals, fruit, yogourt, croissants and the traditional english with sausage, bacon, fried and scrambled egg, black pudding, hash browns, beans, mushrooms and tomato, toast and jam, tea, coffee and juice. The only problem was the queues and running out of fried eggs, luckily, I just as happy with scrambled. Outside the hotel is a lovely garden with furniture where you can have afternoon tea and snacks in the sun. The bar is very traditional with a golfing theme. The staff were all very friendly and couldn't do enough for us.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Prince of Wales Hotel in Southport is a beautiful reminder of our Victorian Heritage, an elegant building with landscaped gardens. Throughout the reception, lounge area and bedrooms, the decoration has been kept in keeping with the elegant and stylish character of the building. All 154 en-suite bedrooms of the Prince of Wales hotel have been tastefully designed to preserve the Victorian style of this Southport hotel. Many of the rooms overlook Lord Street, the main shopping and entertainment area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Expedia, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Britannia Prince of Wales - Southport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Britannia Prince Of Wales-Southport Hotel Southport
- Hotel Prince Southport Wales
- Southport Prince Of Wales
- Prince Wales Hotel Southport