“weve been before and know what to expect”

Best Western Southport Seafront Royal Clifton Hotel & Spa
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Southport
lancs
“weve been before and know what to expect”
Reviewed 4 September 2011

we booked a 2 day break for 2 reasons 1 to re charge our batteries and 2 cos it was a cheap deal we asked 4 prom room which was fine v clean bathroom 2 reception staff excellent v helpful especially michelle and pauline they were cheery and informative at dinner in the evening we had a few blips soup was cold sent it back my husband ordered ham 4 main when it came it was pink and disgusting it looked like reconstituted ham he swapped 4 beef which was better at breakfast sausages were cold and of the cheap variety finally weordered poached eggs which werew fresh anthony was a very heipful and charming waiter who changed our food when asked we enjoyed our break in spite of all this cos prior 2 it we had been v stressed

Room Tip: ask 4 prom room
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank coronets

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
  • Polish first
lancashire
Reviewed 4 September 2011

A great hotel lovely views . I love this hotel and keep going back rooms are big and clean. Staff are very helpful carnt do enough. Seating area at front is so comfy, sit and chat with a brew and just take in the views. Meals are perfect buffet style breakfast which is very good. Sunday carvery is top aswel. Hotel just round corner of lord street couldnt be better. Extras swimming pool spa gym hairdressers and more. Please go you will love it. Clkiff in the dining room is brill, such a nice guy.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank youngathearter
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2011

Average hotel but in a lovely spot overlooking the sea and the staff were brilliant....1st stop on a two week trip around the north of England so we're hoping things get just a tad better.... I would revisit if I was coming back to Southport

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Dr Louise A
Midlands England
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Third time we've visited this hotel albeit only for three to four day stays.

The rooms are clean and made up very quickly in the morning (a pet bug of mine.) by very friendly staff. Reception staff this year weren't very good. We left without even a "did you enjoy your stay?" whicfh we thought was very poor indeed.
We had a room on,ly stay and the value was good (£71.00 a night.) The breakfast is WAY overpriced and we found it cheaper and nicer to eat in Morrisons 100 yards away.

Evening meals however were excellent even though we chose to eat in Ask one night.

Speaking of which the hotel is ideally placed for the centre of town and for a view of the sea (Even though the sea is about 50 miles away <g>)

Good parking and a good sized lounge with two bars.

We're in our 60's but even we found the clientele a bit old. There seem to be a lot of coach parties aimed at the over 70s.

But all in all we'd go again.

Oh - free WiFi.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Southampton
Reviewed 24 August 2011

I stayed at the Royal Clifton, Southport as I was travelling in the area on business. When I arrived I found a parking place at the front, but would imagine that parking maybe cramped during the peak season. The Entrance to the hotel is very grand and there is a large residents area. The check in was fine, and I found my room at the back of the hotel. The veiw from the bedroom window was dreary to say the least, and the room quite bland, but clean. As there was a large party of elderly people staying during my visit I decided against using the hotel restaurant, instead opting for a bar menu which provided a basic selection of main meals. The hotel does have free Wi-Fi but I found this was limited in the content it would allow access to which I found quite frustrating. I enjoyed a good nights sleep and check out was straightfoward. I would stay again but would try to obtain a better room with a view.

Room Tip: Try to get a seaview!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank halle1964
Reviewed 21 August 2011

We stayed in the Royal Great Western last night and the 1st thing I said to my wife when we entered our room was "I'm not feeling the £130 this room cost for the evening". I agree totally with the review left on the 31st July. The hotel is dated and tired. Decoration ,carpets and fabrics are old and musty. The room seemded clean enough but there is not one single thing about this hotel that will tempt you back if you stay there. The breakfast was the most unapplealling sight I've ever seen, it was like a greasy back St cafe. The Conservatory bar isnt a very nice place to relax and when we used the spa it is filled with so many chemicals you feel like your having a bath in bleach. There's thousands of hotel rooms in Southport, believe me you don't want these ones.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Titchtearaway

Travellers are raving about these Southport hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2011

We have been to the Royal Clifton quite a few times and had a wonderful time, excellent rooms, food, and the staff are superb. We had not been able to go for over 12 months due to ill health, we went 13/09/2011 and the welcome we got was brilliant, as usual the staff could'nt do enough for us and the food was great as was the room, we had a fabulous time and cant wait to revisit. Mr & Mrs Ainsworth.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank chantilly1
Travellers also viewed these Southport hotels
Ramada Plaza Southport
Britannia Prince of Wales - Southport
Balmoral Lodge Hotel
Balmoral Lodge Hotel
#12 of 24 in Southport

Been to Best Western Southport Seafront Royal Clifton Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!