“Character & Service”

Best Western Southport Seafront Royal Clifton Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Southport
Reviewed 24 November 2012

I stay in this hotel a couple of times a year for business and always look forward to it. The hotel is a long, white Victorian building, quite beautiful from the outside, and on the inside is olde world charm and elegance. Walking up the long corridors lit with chandeliers and slightly creaky wobbly floors makes me think of being on an ocean liner, so I nicknamed this hotel The Titanic. Far from sinking though, the very pleasant staff are very welcoming and helpful, the rooms spacious and comfortable and the breakfast excellent. Look forward to my next stay.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have a sea view (just)
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Andrea B, General Manager at Best Western Southport Seafront Royal Clifton Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2012

Dear Jane W,

Thank for your recent review of the Royal Clifton Hotel, it is indeed a beautiful Victorian building, the hotel is also superbly located on the Promenade and within a few minutes’ walk of the Convention Centre and also ideally located for the shops on Lord Street. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the staff to be pleasant and welcoming, I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 23 November 2012

I decided to hold my wedding within the hotel, im so glad we did! It was perfect. The staff went the extra mile for us to make everything run smoothly, the food was exceptional as was the service. All the staff were friendly and very helpful, all our guests agreed.

• Stayed: November 2012

Dear Luisabluegeeza,

Thank you for your wonderful review, I was very pleased to read that your wedding day was perfect! The Royal Clifton is the perfect wedding venue, and we have several packages to suit all budgets, the hotel boasts breath taking views over the Marina and the Irish Sea and I hope you managed to capture some wonderful pictures of your special day. I do hope will come and celebrate your anniversary with us! Thank you once again for the wonderful review

Reviewed 20 November 2012

Lovely, spacious Victorian Hotel, some may say a bit dated but I love the fact that it has kept its true character and hope it stays that way. Checked in by very pleasant staff, Massive room which catered for my disabled mother very well. Lots of storage space, lovely view and very, very clean. I have to say that this hotel is cleaner than some 4 - 5 star hotels that I have stayed in. The food was very good and again well served by attentive, well presented happy staff. I didnt see one unhappy face amongst the staff and they were all so obliging. THis hotel boasts a leisure centre with pool which unfortunately I couldnt use this time round but its a great asset if you are able to. Would I go again to the Royal Clifton? you bet I would, the prices are good, they are not rip off merchants and everything is first class. Well done to all of the staff you have restored my faith in human nature.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family

Dear Junetheprune,

Thank you for your recent review, I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. The Royal Clifton is indeed a Victorian building and as such boasts some wonderfully spacious room with breath taking views of the Irish Sea.

Our Pavilion restaurant is ideal for a more formal yet relaxing al a carte meal, with exceptional food and plenty of choice. The Conservatory bar offers a more casual dining experience in a relaxed yet comfortable environment serving delicious bar meals at affordable prices and speciality coffees.

I am sorry you were not able to take advantage of the Leisure Club, our exceptional gym facilities, swimming pool, sauna and steam room are very popular with our residents, hopefully you be able to make time on your return visit, we have some great offers on spa weekends and we also have a salon and beauty room for that extra bit of pampering!
I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 16 November 2012

I retired from work on Friday 2/11/12 and booked a Five night leisure break at the Royal Clifton Southport,on arrival check was very easy and we had our room upgraded.
Our room had a separate lounge with sofa and easy chair, flat screen tv and fireplace very cosy.
Very large bathroom with separate shower, two heated towel rails. Last of all the Bedroom had the best bed we have ever slept in.( I Want ONE).
Our break also include Dinner/Breakfast, Breakfast was self service apart from Tea/Coffee/Toast, with plenty of choice-fruit/yogurt/cereals and Full English.
Evening Dinner was served 18:30 -21:30, we booked for 19:30, menu for leisure break was 3 course and plenty of choice.Compliments to the Chef and all staff in the restaurant.
Southport has plenty to offer even in November, we enjoyed our break and will be going back to The Royal Clifton.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Kassi-Penny,

Thank you for your recent review of the Royal Clifton Hotel, I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and also very pleased that you had a complimentary upgrade with a super comfy bed!
I was delighted that you enjoyed the food, we do offer a fabulous all you can eat buffet breakfast which boasts locally sourced produce. I will certainly pass your compliments on to our chef.
Southport does indeed have a lot to offer, from the wonderful shops on Lord Street to the Theatre at the Floral Halls it certainly is a beautiful destination that has something for everyone. I do hope you can come back and visit us soon.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 13 November 2012

Although I agree with some previous comments about the hotel being a bit dated, it was, nevertheless comfortable. The staff, overall, were extremely helpful and attentive - especially the breakfast staff, for whom nothing was too much trouble. The food was very good - nice to get decent sausages at breakfast!! - and the atmosphere was relaxed and professional. Check-In was fast and courteous and the reception staff were all very customer focused.
The single room I stayed in was spacious and comfortable with a good-sized en-suite bathroom with a bath and over-bath shower. The room was cleaned daily and the cleaners were pleasant and professional.
Only 2 downsides - firstly, the pool/spa had a lot of young children who appeared to be left to their own devices ie - running/shouting/jumping and diving into the pool (although there were parents present, they didn't seem to be too bothered about their offspring) - this could have been rectified by the spa reception staff (1 person, but with cctv screen showing what was happening in the pool). It was a Saturday afternoon and I know kids are kids, but some were very young and running in and out of the steam room and jacuzzi and being dive-bombed in the pool was quite irritating.
The 2nd downside was that staff were using the Conservatory bar and were very noisy when I was trying to watch footie!! The upside of this was the staff appeared very happy and close, which is, of course, a great compliment to the hotel.
I enjoyed my 3 day stay and would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a sea view, as I had a room facing West Street at the back and it was quite...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank barbuie
Reviewed 10 November 2012

This hotel is an oldie, but has lots of character and is in a nice location, handy for supermarkets and strolls along the front. Stayed for 4 nights early Nov - food good and staff friendly and helpful.
This hotel needs a bit if an internal facelift, floors do creak and the carpets, furniture and decor have seen better days. Had to oild door hinges to stop it squeaking at night. Avoid Rm. 211 if poss - someone rumbling about overhead in the early hours (staff?). Some evening entertainment, but check !!
Gym and pool facilities good - most enjoyable stay and would go again.

Room Tip: If on floor 2, check no one is above !!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank John D
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Took my elderly parents who thoroughly enjoyed their holiday. They needed a walk in shower which was not available so were given a family room 205! Brilliant. The food was excellent and nothing was too much trouble for the staff.

Room Tip: Need a front or side facing room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family