Best Western Southport Seafront Royal Clifton Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Southport
Reviewed 23 January 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night. Location is OK. About a 5 min walk to Lord Street.

Hotel is very dated. Decor is terrible. Can be noisy as well depending on where your room is in relation to the functions they occasionaly have on.

Only plus side is it's cheap. I was going on a night out so all I really cared about was a bed to sleep in for a few hours.

They have limited parking, but there is pay and display on the road (which is free after 6pm until 8am).

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank andyw785
Andrea B, Manager at Best Western Southport Seafront Royal Clifton Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2013

Thank you for your recent review of the Royal Clifton Hotel, I was sorry to read that you felt the hotel was dated, we have refurbished our public areas and many of the bedrooms which is still on going, the hotel is very popular for events and weddings and due to the location of the hotel being only minutes from the Town centre and situated on the Promenade the occasional noise is inevitable, please accept my apologies if your sleep was disturbed. I do hope you managed to find a space in our car park, we do have 80 car parking spaces which are complimentary for our overnight guests. Once again thank you for your comments.

Andrea Burton

Write a ReviewReviews (1,736)

Reviewed 20 January 2013

My wife and I booked to stay on 19th Jan 2013 after a long drive via manchester we arrived and checked in at 19:30. There was a function going on but it seemed reasonable and as we were allocated a room on the second floor front (210) I thought it would hae no impact on us. How wrong was I, at about 21:30 the music started and continued until about 01:00. I could have wrote down the words to every song it was so loud and clear. It was impossible to sleep and difficult to hear our own TV at all. Eventually the music stopped and we thought thank god for that, but then the people that had been at the function started retiring and were running down the corridors laughing and calling to each other a little the worse for drink. Next door (211) then decided to have a few more drinks and a laugh ( the walls really are like paper ). Eventually we got to sleep. At 08:45 house keeping started knocking doors to see which rooms they could start cleaning (we had indicated on check in we would not require an early call) and would have appreciated a lie in after the night before, this was not to be though as the hoovers fired up and furnature was being moved in adjacent rooms.

I read the rewies on the net before booking and they were mostly good with a few haveing a night like ours which I put down to there are always some people who are never happy but after staying there I would not recommend it to my worst enemy it was torture.

In fairness the room was large but dated the TV an old anologe goodmans version so all screens were cropped off both sides with a poor reception. the bath room was circa 1975 pink plastic corner suite. The sash windows had been filled with toilet paper to stop some of the drafts.

All in all quite the worst Hotel experience I think I have ever suffered.

We are fairly regular visitors to Southport and while the Ramada is a little more expensive (not much with a deal to be honest) it is so superior to the Royal Clifton its like the ritz and a tent.

Room Tip: book another Hotel the Ramada is excellent
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Soade
Andrea B, Manager at Best Western Southport Seafront Royal Clifton Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I was very disappointed to read your comments regarding the difficulties that you encountered during your stay. We did have a function on that evening and the Royal Clifton is a popular venue for weddings and functions and the occasional noise is inevitable, as your room was on the 2nd floor I was very surprised that you were able to hear the function and I am only sorry that you did not call reception as we would of have been only too happy to provide you with another room to ensure a peaceful night’s sleep, I was pleased that the Duty Manager explained this on check out and discounted your room for the inconvenience that you were caused.

The rooms are indeed a wonderful size and have now all been upgraded with new flat screen televisions and we are currently undergoing a refurbishment of both bedrooms and bathrooms. I am sorry that you feel you would not be able to recommend the hotel and only hope in the near future you will give us the opportunity to restore your confidence in the Royal Clifton Hotel.

Reviewed 19 January 2013

We have just returned from a 4 night break at The Royal Clifton, Southport. The reception staff were welcoming, so warm and friendly and very efficient. Unfortunately the room we were allocated was not to our liking as it had a sloping ceiling just the right height for my husband to bang his head. Without any fuss, we were given another room, which was lovely; it was of a good size, with a sea view, comfortable beds and a clean, large bathroom.
The breakfast was self service apart from drinks and toast; it was all well cooked and fresh, porridge is made to order. The evening meals were well cooked but a little repetitive. The waitresses were very pleasant and nothing was too much trouble for them. I don't think we have ever stayed in a more friendly hotel; with one exception, one of the barmen was surly and rather let the hotel down.
Whist there, I booked 2 treatments at their beauty salon, Bangs, I had a pedicure and facial and can honestly say that both treatments were wonderful and very reasonably priced. The salon is comfortable and the staff friendly; Carly was my therapist and kept me laughing from start to finish, an added bonus.
Will we go back, you bet we will!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank davidandkerry

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of the Royal Clifton Hotel, I was sorry to read that your room was not to your liking however I am pleased that reception upgraded you to a promenade room which you found to be more comfortable. I have made a note of your comments regarding the barman and corrective training has taken place so please accept my apologies for this, we do pride ourselves on our customer service and I was delighted that you felt this was the friendliest hotel that you had ever stayed in, I will certainly pass your compliments on to the rest of the team.

Bangs hair and beauty salon located next to the leisure club is a fabulous place to relax and enjoy those wonderful treatments, we do have many pamper packages available so please do contact us for the latest offers. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 11 January 2013

The moment I walked into The Royal Clifton Hotel, I knew I was in for a treat!! The check in was quick and easy, the porter a very welcome help with my luggage to my large, warm comfortable room. I stayed half-board and the food was delicious, so nice to see the chef in proper whites complete with hat!!!! All the staff were very pleasent and helpful, but my special thanks go to Gary Howard the porter, Michelle on reception, Mandy and Daniel waitress and barman and last but not least lovely Clifford a very impressive duty manager. All in all, my stay at The Royal Clifton was just what I needed, would definately come back.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 120 which is located at the front of the hotel, it had a lovely large bay window ov...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank CaggyCheshire

Thank you for your wonderful review, I was delighted to read your comments regarding the team, I will certainly pass on your comments to Gavin our Head Chef and to Gary and Michelle for the exceptional service they provided along with Clifford, Mandy and Daniel, it is always pleasing to read such wonderful comments about the staff and I do hope that you will be back to visit us again very soon.

Reviewed 7 January 2013

Stayed for the 2nd time in 2012, Christmas shopping deal. Excellent value. Only criticism was that a coach party arrived the same day and took over the lounge in the evening to play bingo. We sat by the bar after dinner for a few minutes and when we could bear it no longer, we went up to our room. Worth checking what else is booked in at the time of your visit. Staff friendly and food very good. Would go again.

Room Tip: Worth paying for promenade room.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Rosemary H

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of The Royal Clifton Hotel, I was delighted to read that you had a relaxing break with our Christmas Shopping package, I was sorry that you felt you had to leave the lounge we do have several lounge areas in the hotel for your comfort and relaxation I am sorry that you did not have the opportunity to make use of these. Thank you for your compliments regarding the friendliness of the staff they do strive to ensure all of our customers are given excellent warm friendly service, I do hope that we have the chance to welcome you back very soon, we do have several offers and packages available throughout the year, please do look on our website for the very latest deals.

Reviewed 6 January 2013

We stayed for two nights new Years Eve and New Years Night, the food was first class and the staff were pleasant and nothing was to much trouble for them. The room was spacious and comfortable, the only down side only half the radiator was warm but my wife complained and they put a extra heater in the room The room was clean and pleasantly decorated but could have done with the windows upgrading, but would stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Roy B

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us over the New Year. The team are very helpful and friendly and we always strive to provide excellent customer service. Our bedrooms are indeed very spacious, being a Victorian building we do benefit from large rooms with panoramic windows allowing some beautiful views of the seafront and Southport, I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 6 January 2013

This is my fourth stay here with my family. It is an outstanding hotel. The staff at this hotel make it special.
Excellent service at the reception. All of the receptionist are extremely friendly and polite. The room was clean, comfortable, and functional. The bed was good, mattress firm and pillows soft. Breakfast was very good, full english recommended, good tea & coffee and preserves. The service was a little slow, but we enjoyed not being rushed.
The public areas are beautiful and with the Christmas decorations , even better.As this is our first choice in hotels when visiting family in Southport, I'll definitely be back later this year.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Amelia J

Thank you for your wonderful review, I was so pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us, our reception team are indeed very helpful and friendly and I will certainly pass on your compliments. I was delighted that you enjoyed your breakfast and hope you managed to try all the different items that we have available, our bedrooms are very comfortable, we do have a large selection of room types to suit every budget from Single rooms to Promenade Suits hopefully on your next visit you will be able to sample one of these many rooms types, in the meantime I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.