Best Western Southport Seafront Royal Clifton Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Southport
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I've been to this hotel three times now and yes its a bit faded...

BUT its 50 yards from Lord Street, 50 from the front and has its own free carparking.

The food is excellent. Dinner ususally has five main course choices all of which are prepared and served beautifully. The bar offers snack meals and whilst I've only had one lunch there I can't fault it.

Breakfast is overpriced IF all you want is toast and coffee but for a "full English" its a fair price and served conveniently and promptly.

The room we had was lovely. I'm amazed at how low the price was (£50 per night for two) for a room with all facilities. It had a bay window with table and chairs, a flat screen TV and plenty of room. The bathroom was cramped but for one person a time was entirely adequate.

In my three visits I have never met a member of staff who wasn't helpful friendly and polite.

Downsides? Well too many coach parties and functions. Sometimes, particularly at breakfast one can feel like a bit of an accessory, but service received nevr suffered.

Why only four stars? Well the curtain rail in my room broke and at 10.00 am I asked for it to be repaired before 1.30 pm as my wife and I wanted a after lunch snooze. Repairs began, an woke us at 1.40. We weren't happy, but the repair work was done quickly by 2.05.
I really only drop off one star so that the hotel remembers that customer complaints are important.

Southport is a lovely English resort and having seen some of the other hotels believe me you could do a lot worse.

I'm going back.

Room Tip: The hotel is long and you may be what seems like 100 yards from reception, BUT thats a good thing be...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Andrea B, Manager at Best Western Southport Seafront Royal Clifton Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review, I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, I am really sorry that it took a little longer than planned to repair your curtain rail and hope that this did not inconvenience you too much. The staff are indeed very polite and helpful and we do strive for excellence in customer service. I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed 3 April 2013

Stayed here for the weekend with my parter and little boy as well as the inlaws. We booked with booking.com as the price was cheaper than the hotel quoted. I contacted the hotel to request a room suitable for a cot and a small baby which they were happy to do as they said they had a lot of rooms available. On arriving at the hotel the parking was terrible and we ended up parking on the road and having to pay. When we checked in the reception staff were not very welcoming and the rooms we were promised were not available. We went up to our rooms and the heat was unbearable so we opened a window. We later realised that we were over the spa. That night we didnt get a wink of sleep due to the nightclub outside the hotel. You could hear every song as well as a constant boom boom boom. I phoned reception to complain but got nowhere so ended up going down at 3am as it was that bad and the response I got was that the hotel was full and the nightclub would be contacted. In the morning I spoke to the duty manager who said we would be moved to the rooms we had been promised on booking. When asked why they put a family with a small baby in the back room over the spa and over looking a nightclub I didnt get a response worth anything. When we got into the rooms they were facing the sea front which was lovely however when my mother in law found the previous guests dirty knickers on the radiator we were less than impressed. The bathrooms were very old fashioned ours was orange and with a leaky shower it wasnt up to standard. I asked for a refund of the first night but due to it being more than the second we were only offered the lower price whoch I dont think is right. I dont think that at for a so called 4 star hotel that this is up to standard and we wont be staying again.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Lynseythomas33

Thank you for your recent review, I have spoken with the team regarding the problems that you encountered during your stay, the noise from the local bar have been dealt with and I am very sorry that your sleep was disturbed, the hotel is very well located to Lord Street and the occasional noise is inevitable. I have looked into your booking and notice that you did book two standard rooms which is what you were allocated on arrival, I am pleased that our Duty Manager upgraded your rooms the second night and did not charge you at all for these rooms due to the inconvenience you were caused. Our rooms are checked thoroughly prior to guests checking into them and I am sorry on this occasion that we fell below that standard, I have now addressed this problem with our Housekeeping team to ensure that similar situations do not occur.

Reviewed 30 March 2013

Good location as able to walk easily up and down Lord Street where the main shops are located. Good quality cooked English breakfast but if you want fruit, croissants etc then not much choice - prunes were in abundance ! Hotel is ok but it's huge and is stuck in the early 1980's and needs a refurb (peach bathroom suite, faded swag and tail curtains, sheets and blankets not a duvet!) although I appreciate that will be costly and in the current economic environment ...............The bar wasn't great, our first night we ad a drink there and when asking what white wine they had was told the options were Chardonnay or Riesling (another 80's flashback) so i opted for a G&T which the barman was going to serve me without ice until i asked for some and no lemon , he did find "the last piece of lemon" in the end - always good to know you're being given the dregs ! we didn't have drinks there again. Still we paid £67.50 per night including breakfast so good value if you aren't too fussy on the surroundings and are happy to go out for drinks.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent review of the Royal Clifton Hotel, I was pleased to read that you found the breakfast to be good quality, we are presently improving our food offering to include a more extensive fresh fruit selection at breakfast and we also have a fabulous new dinner menu for the Pavilion. We are currently refurbishing the rooms and you will be pleased to know that all of our bedrooms will have duvets. I am sorry that you felt here was not a great deal of choice on the wine menu, we do carry a very wide selection of wines which can be purchased either by the glass or bottle, I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back again very soon so you can sample our new menus and extensive wine list, thank you once again for your comments.

Reviewed 28 March 2013

Stayed at this dump on 25th/26th March...First impression of the room was that it was small then realised that there were stains on the carpet- on a chair- the curtains had holes in them the bed was extremely uncomfortable could feel the springs no duvet as you would expect but just a sheet and thin blanket- The temperature in the room was only 3 C. not surprising really as the radiator did not work -Wanted a shower but no way in such a cold room so had to wait while an electric heater was provided this kept me awake with it's constant clicking on and off during the night-Shower was a joke took ages for the water to warm up no pressure to it either had to almost force myself up against the taps to reach the water that dribbled down- Tiny wonky T.V with very limited channels with poor reception -Dirty bathroom with someone else's hair on the floor plus a couple of hair grips-Had a drink in the bar near reception and the woman serving managed to do so without saying a word to me only made worse by the blank stare she gave me.Having read reviews here going back some 7 years followed by the Hotels comments "sorry we will do better" etc. it's obvious just a bog standard reply to any issues that are raised. Never ever again- should have stayed at the nearby Travel Inn but was seduced by the cheaper price of The Royal Clifton big mistake how dare they subject me to there appalling standards.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your recent review of the Royal Clifton Hotel, I was very disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I have made a note of the difficulties that you encountered with your room and have addressed these items with the Housekeeping and Maintenance team. I am only sorry that you did not report these issues to reception during your stay to enable us to rectify them immediately. Customer service and standards are very important to us and I am sure you will agree that the recent reviews are reflective of this, I am only sorry that we did not meet our usual high standards on this occasion, I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future so we are able to restore your confidence in the hotel.

Reviewed 27 March 2013

I had a group booking for 45 rooms for our male voice choir 2013 tour. The location was ideal for the sea and shops. All the hotel staff were brilliant nothing was to much trouble right from the early planning of this tour down to checking out. Rooms were very comfortable with everything you would require. The breakfasts and lunches were very good served very efficiently with over 70 in our party. Many of our party made good use of the health and spa facilities which were first class. Many of our party made good use of the lounge and bar area till late in the evening with the staff being very helpful. During our two night, 3 day stay at the hotel I had only one very minor complaint which was handled very efficiently and sorted out very quickly. Overall comments I received from our members were very complimentary. Would return for a further stay at the Royal Clifton.

Room Tip: Having booked 45 rooms its difficult to be specific.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your recent review of the Royal Clifton Hotel, I was delighted to read that your group enjoyed their stay, it was also very pleasing to read that they had the opportunity to use our Health Club facilities it is a fabulous place to relax and unwind, I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you all back again next year.

Reviewed 17 March 2013

Great location and lovely style and feel to the building. Very big but a nice warm welcome to the traveller. The room we stayed in was huge, overlooking the front and sea. Bit noisy and creaky. The health club was good, but could do with updating. Staff at reception were very nice, Bar staff at Conservatory bit offish. Food OK but not great. Nice to have evening entertainmnet - pianist very good. Really good value for money. Everyone seemed happy to be there - but they were old and probably happy just to be!!

Room Tip: Choose a room at the front if possible. Great views.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ElQueue
Andrea B, Manager at Best Western Southport Seafront Royal Clifton Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2013

Thank you for your recent review of the Royal Clifton Hotel, I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay, I was very pleased that you had the opportunity to make use of our Leisure Club it is an ideal place to relax and swim, we are currently refurbishing the hotel and our Head Chef is currently creating a new restaurant menu so I do hope that you will have the opportunity to sample this in the near future, once again thank you for your kind comments.

Reviewed 16 March 2013

Me and my partner had a lovely experience at this hotel. We stayed in a lovely double room and made good use of the health spa facilities. We had a few drinks in the conservatory bar before retiring to the lounge area, the staff even turned off the background music when my partner started playing the piano. We never made breakfast as we slept, overall we would definitely stay again.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank D M

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review, I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and even managed to play the piano in our lounge, I am sorry you missed breakfast hopefully on your next visit you will have the opportunity to sample our extensive breakfast menu, we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.