“Wish I'd have stayed for longer!”

BEST WESTERN Southport Seafront Royal Clifton Hotel & Spa
Ranked #9 of 28 Hotels in Southport
“Wish I'd have stayed for longer!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel with the family on Saturday night. And found it to be a pleasure to stay here. I have been to southport many times and didn't know this was here. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Free parking was great which they extended for me whilst I explored southport after we checked out. Room we had was amazing just a shame the jacuzzi didn't work. I am the night manager for the Liner hotel and I'm seriously thinking of applying for a job here. :).

Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Michael L
Andrea B, Manager at BEST WESTERN Southport Seafront Royal Clifton Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 13 June 2013
Thank you so much for the wonderful review, I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the staff friendly and helpful, the Jacuzzi has now been repaired and hopefully you can come and sample it again very soon!

Andrea Burton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
  • Polish first
united kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013

Stayed here with my other half for just one night. The staff are a credit to the hotel.The facilities are excellent..We did not eat there but the drinks were good..The rooms very warm and the linen / towels excellent. The bed however was ROCK HARD..Like most hotels of this rating the rooms are very tired with a Peach Bathroom. However this did not put us off at all. I would stay again in a sea view room but ask for a softer bed.
Great for one night and would recommend if you dont mind my comments.

Room Tip: Go for a sea view room..
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank triedhard
Thank you for your recent review of the Royal Clifton, I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the staff and facilities to be excellent, I was sorry to read that you found the bed uncomfortable we do have some firm mattress’ which some of guests prefer and would have been more than happy to change this for you, I am pleased that it has not put you off visiting us again and hopefully during your next visit you will be able to sample the fabulous menus that we have available in both the Pavilion Restaurant and Conservatory Bar.

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013

Found this hotel in December 2002 and have never stopped going back. The location is convienant for walking/town centre/golf perfect old type hotel with added bonus of all modern facilities, including swimming pool/Gym/Hairdresses.
Staff excellent in all areas very friendly and welcoming that's why we go three times a year it's like visiting family.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Beryl M
Thank you for recent review of the Royal Clifton, I was delighted to read your comments regarding our facilities and staff, it certainly is a great place to stay with fabulous facilities and it is wonderful that you keep coming back to us, we look forward to seeing you again very soon.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013

Most impressed by Jenny&Michelle on reception. The food was very good dinner exellent value. Room was. comfortable.will come again.free.parking a bonus.whilst there was 3functionat the hotel at weekend the staff were able to cope even with an ambulance call on Sunday night.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Chrisandern
Thank you for your wonderful review of the Royal Clifton, I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, I was so pleased that you managed to sample the fabulous food available in the Pavilion Restaurant, we have recently introduced a new A La Carte menu which is proving to be very popular. I will certainly pass your compliments on to Jenny and Michelle who are always very helpful and hospitable. Hopefully you will come back and visit us again very soon.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013

This Victorian hotel has many of its original features which add to its charm, cannot comment on its rooms as I have not stayed overnight. Location good. The staff on main reception are friendly and helpful. Its gym though small, is very good and has a great swimming pool and jacuzzi. Does lovely afternoon teas if one can be served.
On Sept 29th 2012 we had been to the gym and then asked for tea and sandwiches. The waitress took my order and money, even asked me which I'd prefer - brown bread or white. Then 5 minutes later came back and refunded my money saying they did not do tea and sandwiches. This was at 13.08. No explanation or alternative was offered. About 5 minutes later a plate of sandwiches was passed to the staff in main reception, needless to say we were gobsmacked !! I asked a young waiter who was passing through the reception if sandwiches were being sand assured me they were.
I wrote to the manager complaining about this incident but did not get a reply. I still have the receipts. We were starving that day after doing a long workout in the gym.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review of the Royal Clifton, I am so pleased that you find the hotel full of charm with its original Victorian features, I do hope that one day you are able to come and stay overnight to not only sample one of our Promenade rooms with extensive views over the coast line but also our fabulous all you can eat buffet breakfast. I am very sorry about the unfortunate incident regarding your afternoon tea please do send me a private message so I am able to offer further feedback on this, I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back again very soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013 via mobile

I arrived into southport with all guns blazing ready for a night on the tiles, my brothel creepers were polished and a spare set of drinking boots in the boot. Arrived at the royal clifton, as ever my gentleman instincts kicked in as I helped a man not a day over 96 up off the floor, as he'd had his "fill" in the conservatory bar. Checked in, staff were wonderful, helpful, obliging, I surveyed my surroundings, yes it was your typical once royal seaside retreat when British folk treated the likes of southport, Scarborough, Llandudno with the respect that these joyous Victorian built resorts required. Room, was dated but pleasant with a sea view, which seeing the sea in southport is the equivalent of seeing elvis, lord Lucan etc etc. gym facilities were also dated but yet again, the main and most important matter was, the staff were polite, happy and a joy to speak to. They say you can't polish a turd, this may be so but sometimes you have to take the aesthetics, age and surroundings out of the equation and look a little deeper into hat matters most in an experience, manners, happiness and a sense of being welcomed nd being at ease. Thank you to all staff that made this a joyous one night stay and put the faith back into the belief, if this country has the weather, there is no place in the world you'd rather be. Only one complaint, which is only fair, got stuck in the hotel lift for 7 hours and never slept in my bed. Apart from that, a lovely time. Thank you.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Turkish T
Thank you for your detailed review, I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, the Royal Clifton is indeed a Victorian building full of character and charm, we are currently refurbishing our rooms and our public areas and restaurant have been refurbished very recently in keeping with this historic building. It was very pleasing to read that you found the staff welcoming, I was a little concerned regarding your comments about the lift as there was no reports of the lift breaking down on this particular day so I would welcome some feedback and further detail on this. I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back again very soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013

Stayed one night after a wedding. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable but dated. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was in a small dining room with a limited choice of food, but the cooked breakfast buffet was very good. We were disappointed that the children were unable to use the pool as it was being used for lessons, which we weren't informed about in advance. Good value for money at £45 room only, but I wouldn't want to pay much more. Breakfast at £7:50 a bit steep. Good location, right on the promenade with plenty of free parking.

Room Tip: Sea views are good. We were in room 2 which was right by the stairs, so quite noisy.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank billhayes
Thank you for your recent review of the Royal Clifton, I am very sorry that you were not able to use the pool in the morning due to swimming lessons, we would have been more than happy to store your luggage for you to use the facilities at lunch time and we have a fabulous family room in the leisure club where you can also freshen up before your journey home. I was very disappointed to read your comments regarding breakfast, we do have an extensive breakfast menu available with over 10 items on the hot buffet, however I would be delighted if you could offer further feedback so we can maybe look at adding some more items. Once again thank you for your review and I do hope that you will visit us again very soon.