“Terrible health club and really boring bar”

Best Western Southport Seafront Royal Clifton Hotel & Spa
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Southport
London, United Kingdom
“Terrible health club and really boring bar”
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I stayed here recently and everything was great except for two things: the bar was like an airport cafe, The barman said it has just been refurbished. There was no music, no atmosphere, the lighting was far too bright. I came here a couple of years and there was a really fun karaoke, a quiz, free light bites, a memorable DJ and a friendly atmosphere. Disappointing down turn in its offer. The health club has potential, but there were no signs of anyone cleaning it, and we went once nearly every day throughout our visit. One of the showers didn't work and was covered in mould, there was no water cooler/ tap in the wet area, the spa chemicals were very strong and there was no towel rail by the pool. Every time I wanted to use the pool, there were swimming lesson on and no swimmer lane. The changing cubicles were also full of peoples clothes, whose owners couldn't be bothered to use the lockers and make them available for other users. It didn't make a relaxing week.

The piano bar was lovely and the function rooms were very nice. Sort it out guys!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Maria S
Andrea B, General Manager at Best Western Southport Seafront Royal Clifton Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Thank you for your review of the Royal Clifton Hotel I was very disappointed to read that you were not entirely happy with our facilities, we have recently refurbished the Conservatory bar and the concept has changed from a sports type bar with karaoke on a Saturday to a more relaxed area where our guests can go and have a coffee and home bakes or a meal and a bottle of wine with relaxing background music and it has been met with positive reviews. Our Health Club is fully cleaned on a daily basis and we do have swimming classes twice a week in our pool which are displayed on our website and is only for two hours each time, the pool is available to our guests and members at all other times.

Andrea Burton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
  • Polish first
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We stayed 2 nights 16th-18th January 2014 The room was wonderful with views of the promenade gardens and right across the sea to Lytham on the Fylde coast .Our room was well furnished with 2 comfortable chairs to sit on and enjoy the view.The bed was so comfortable ,we both had a good nights sleep
The buffet breakfast had a really wide choice and the food was very good, cooked just right (which so often it isn't with style of breakfast)
we also enjoyed a light snack in the Conservatory bar,
all the staff were very pleasant
we hope to go back and enjoy another break as soon as possible.

Room Tip: book early
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PHILIPja_11
Thank you for your wonderful review of the Royal Clifton I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, the views are amazing from the Promenade rooms especially on a clear day as you say you can see Blackpool, Lytham and the Fylde coat, I will certainly pass your compliments on to our chef Gavin regarding the food and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I booked here expecting a lovely spa hotel break. And the spa is nice.

The room we had was so hot we had to move rooms, for the money paid I expected a much better room the window would not stay open and the bathroom was one of the old painted baths I think it was a green bath.

Breakfast which I thought would be great was horrible. The sausages were not cooked enough and the selection was poor. The service of the staff was fine everyone was very polite.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank travels26
Thank you for your recent review of the Royal Clifton, I was disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us, we are currently refurbishing our rooms and bathrooms and we do have a great selection of rooms that have been completed. I have made a note of your comments regarding breakfast and can assure you that all of our breakfast items are cooked thoroughly and temperature tested before they leave the kitchen. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our leisure facilities and hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back again very soon.

Andrea Burton

Travellers are raving about these Southport hotels

Pembrokeshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

Well all in all a terrible disappointment for very expensive rooms! First stayed in the summer of 2013. Me and my partner arrived looking forward to a nice stay for what was a special occasion. After booking in at reception ( only good point of the stay where the very friendly reception staff) we headed for our room. We had booked and payed extra to have a room with a sea view. Our sea view consisted of the roof from the conservatory from the floor below...out of BOTH windows? Not wanting to put a downer on the trip we put the so called "view"to one side and sat down to have a cup of coffee. To our horror we found that the cups were filthy. They had been turned upside down, put very neatly on the tray with spoons and saucers. But unfortunately the cleaners had not thought it important to replace them with a clean set. The carpet in the room was also filthy, with stains all over the place and bits where it hadn't been vacuumed. The bed sheet had a huge rip and a stain ( although I think they were at least clean). The television did not work and the room was unbearably warm. The bathroom was very dated (pink bathroom suits) and unclean. ( glass shelf was dirty, floor was dirty, bin was dirty. Toilet stained due to age) oh and the hair dryer was useless. We went down for dinner in their restaurant where the table had already been booked in advance for 6 people. The experience was utter chaos. Staff in the restaurant were mainly unfriedly and unhelpful although I think this was due to being understaffed. We waited half an hour for the wine we ordered, and hour for the the starters. The food was presented nicely but on the main very dry. After making a discrete complaint, puddings were on the house ( but wouldn't have paid for what we got). Leaving the restaurant was like entering a nightclub due to the loud music being played in the function rooms, which left nowhere to sit and socialise with the rest of our party. The breakfast in the morning was just ridiculous!!! Cueing just for a seat, understaffed again, cold coffee, and really terrible canteen style breakfast. After complaining in the morning about our stay ( expecting a refund) the best we could get was a free nights stay ( in a hotel we wished never to stay again and also consists of a 5 hour drive to get to) - but better then nothing I guess? We have since managed to use our free nights stay, with much the same results. I really would not recommend for anyone to stay here!!! Sorry Royal Clifton Hotel :(

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rosie S
Thank you for your review of the Royal Clifton Hotel, I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us, I was disappointed to read your comments regarding the room and can assure you that had we been aware of the difficulties that you experienced then we would have been more than happy to rectify these for you to ensure your stay was an enjoyable one. The hotel is a very popular venue for events and the occasional noise is inevitable however we do have our newly refurbished Conservatory Bar which has a very quiet relaxing atmosphere where you can relax and have a few drinks. I apologise for the wait that you had for breakfast, it can be a very busy time for the hotel and we do advise guests of the quieter times to avoid having to wait for a table.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We stayed in this hotel last weekend to celebrate our friends 50th birthday. We really enjoyed our stay we met up in the afternoon and had a pleasant drink then used the hotels spa area. Our room looked quite newly decorated and was very large and pleasant. We had booked a meal for our party of 10 in the hotels restaurant the meal was very nice and the service was fine but the room lacked atmosphere. We did however enjoy our evening in the hotels bar lounge which was very nice and with the function room adjacent added to the evening being able to hear the music but we could still talk. Overall a very pleasant weekend.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Derek F
northwest U.K
Reviewed 13 January 2014

3rd time staying in The Royal Clifton, already deciding when to go next!
Customer service is fantastic, cheery smiles, nothing too much trouble.
comfortable, clean rooms, with everything you need supplied.
Excellent facilities. Gym, pool, Jacuzzi, hair and beauty salon, conservatory bar & bistro, hotel restaurant and bar.
Courtyards and decked outdoor areas where food and drinks are served,
Ample parking, why drive when there is so much within 2 minutes walk from the front door!
I have to give a few extra mentions. The reception staff, so helpful, even loaned us one of their own phone chargers. One of the duty managers, I think he was called Clifford, always smiling and making sure we were enjoying our stay.
The only negative is that although they have fee Wi-Fi, the signal is so week, it's only possible to use it in the lounge.
However the best customer service I have ever experienced was in Bangs Premier, the hotel salon. I was greeted by a lady called Jane, who took my coat, sat me down and gave me a hair consultation before washing my hair and leaving a conditioning treatment on it. Next I was shown into a small therapy room, where I lay down on a treatment bed & covered with a faux fur throw, lights were dimmed (apart from near my face) and serine music was playing low. I was asked if I would like tea/coffee or mineral water, My skin was cleansed and toned before make up and individual eye-lashes were applied by a make-up artist. Then it was back into the hair salon, where again I was asked if I would like any refreshments, even a glass of bubbly! So there I was sipping pink fizz, while Jane curly blow-dried my hair. WoW!!
It looked the best ever! I was treated like a princess and left feeling like a million dollars, they even insisted I took the rest of the bottle up to my room with me! All this for the bargain price of £40!! They told me they have a facebook page, were they have special offers like this advertised. I will be back!!

Room Tip: Front of hotel has best views.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple