BEST WESTERN Southport Seafront Royal Clifton Hotel & Spa
Ranked #9 of 28 Hotels in Southport
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Noisy!”
Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

Arguably the noisiest hotel in the world. The floorboards throughout the hotel are an absolute joke. I really can't express how noisy they are.

It's an extremely old fashioned and dated hotel, however it is clean and the staff are friendly and helpful.

For the pirce, it's reasonable, just don't expect a good night's sleep.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Andrea B, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Southport Seafront Royal Clifton Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
Thank you for your recent review of the Royal Clifton Hotel. I am sorry that your sleep was disturbed I can assure you that if the staff were made aware of this they would have moved you immediately. The hotel does date back to 1800 and is full of character and the odd squeaky floor board and I am very sorry if this kept you awake. I am pleased that you found the staff helpful and I will pass on your compliments to them. Once again thank you for your comments.

Andrea Burton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
  • Polish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2014

just used our Tesco coupons on a three night stay at this hotel. the first night we were very hot, and the tv in our room wasn't the best. we mentioned this at reception and they immediately offered to changed our room. nothing seemed to be too much trouble and we found the staff to be very helpful and friendly. we found it to be warm ,clean, good food, lovely pool etc area. we certainly wound stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Thank you for your recent review, I was delighted to read that reception ensured that you stay was as comfortable as possible and I will certainly pass on your compliments to the team, we hope to see you again very soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Had a great weekend at the Royal Clifton with my good friend Pat. The weather could have been better but the quality of the hotel stay was excellent. Large clean well maintained room, lovely leisure centre & fabulous food

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends

1 Thank Teresa G
Thank you for taking the time to write a review I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and we all look forward to welcoming you back again very soon

milford haven, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Overpriced for a poor quality experience. The noise in the corridors was excessive at night and the quality of breakfast was dreadful. Due to popularity of resort it is obvious the hotel does not need to keep high standards. Suggest using another hotel if you go to southport

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

2 Thank William P
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I was very disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us and you feel that our standards are not high. I can assure you that we do have many compliments regarding the team at the Royal Clifton who strive to ensure that guests enjoy their stay with us. I would be very happy to hear any further comments that you would like to share with me regarding your visit if you would like to email me andreab@royalclifton.co.uk I would be more than happy to discuss this further.

Andrea Burton

Travellers are raving about these Southport hotels

Holbrook, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I thought Best Western was a sign of a certain level of quality well this place proved me wrong. Was going to eat elsewhere but Southport was pretty much shut down for winter so decided to eat at the bar only to find a cockroach wandering along the bar top, The lad behind the bar assured me it wasn't a food prep area but there was a fridge full of deserts at the end of the bar!!! So retreated to Weatherspoon's for some better quality cuisine.

There also seem to be a problem with a very noisy 1st floor corridor, not sure why but squeak horrendously every time someone walked past.

What was it with Christmas deccies up in mid January! Apparently late Christmas parties but didn't seem right to me

Shame look like a quality hotel from the outside.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Rob M
Thank you for your review of the Royal Clifton Hotel I was sorry to read that you did not enjoy you stay with us, I can assure you that I have investigated your comments regarding the insect in the bar, we do not usually experience problems of this nature but I can assure you that as a precautionary measure the area has been treated. I am sorry that you did not appreciate the Christmas Decorations in January, we leave them up as we have many Emergency Services Party nights throughout January as they struggle to find time to have them in December so as a token of our appreciation for all they do for us the least we can do is ensure it is as festive as possible. Once again thank you for your comments.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2014

The views from the promenade rooms are great, the location for all the resort activities is superb. For the Flower Show, the Firework Championships or the Air Show it is the best location you could want. It is a gentle stroll down the lovely promenade to the pier, it is a few hundred yards to Lord Street shopping. But the rooms very and can be a little less than modern and the food can be average. They have wifi in the rooms and the building is warm and comfortable for an afternoon tea or reading the paper in the lounge and there is a small spa with hairdresser, gym and small pool. We have managed to get some amazing room rates with them so the fact that the rooms were a little dated did not bother us at all. The location makes up for almost everything,

Room Tip: it is worth paying for the rooms with a view in my opinion.... but negotiate on your rate.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your wonderful review, I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. The hotel is certainly in a fabulous location and as you say with some wonderful views of the coast, I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

We have just returned from our 2night stay 5-7th
And wanted to leave a review
We had a great time the bedroom was super we stayed in 246 which was very quite and the view was excellent the room was worm and cosy and very clean
The breakfast is to die for amazing help yourself buffet the sausage is lovely all of it was
Then the main meal we had them both days in the restaurant
My partner had the burger both times it was that good I had chicken and roast dinner the next day both cooked beautifully
Well done chef :)
The staff at the clifton where all great and the overall hotel we found was great the bar needs the pool table back
This was the 5th visit and still I don't get board of coming here it's in a great location and we will be returning in the summer might bring the kids this time
Our only falt was the pool tables gone :)
So keep up the good work guys and c u in the summer x

• Stayed February 2014