Best Western Southport Seafront Royal Clifton Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Southport
Ecuador
“Great stay”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We stayed for three nights in the Royal Clifton in mid to late July 2014. We found the staff to be excellent throughout notably the general manager who brought our multitude of bags to our room. Reception staff were very friendly and knowledgeable especially Ms Kielty. The breakfast and dinner in the restaurant were excellent and the restaurant manager and his staff were hugely accommodating. The room was spacious with a great view out to sea. It was a little hot in the room during a very hot week but we were provided with a fan. I would thoroughly recommend the hotel for its amenities - great pool and sauna - along with its central location and the high quality service staff provide. Thank you. Jay

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
  • Polish first
Prestatyn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

On arrival we found no parking at the front as anyone can pay and display on the front car park so we were diverted to a dirty back ally car park.I made representation straight away about this but herd nothing.
We went to room 204 this should be a no go zone with a health warning or bio hazard sign on entry.
The filthy dirty sash windows open all the way and outside is a long drop down to industrial size pipes which during the night sound like an airport.
The view is off 4 enclosed walls at very close proximity but the shocker is the mold mildew dirt and rotten muck on the windows-photos attached.The bathroom is cramped and you can not use it with ease as the door nearly hits the sink when opened.These pictures were shown to staff on reception and I asked for a full refund which was refused, a token jesture of £25 was offered but rejected.i asked for a manager to ring me so I could get a refund but to date no call and its now been 7 days since are visit.The noise left us shattered onthe sunday with no choice but to go home and get some sleep and cutting short our stay in this area.This hotel should re classified as 2 star as it has too many problems along with what iv listed is also many other little problems, I never complain but I had to on this occasion.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Simon V

Travellers are raving about these Southport hotels

LaGrange, Georgia
Reviewed 31 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at the BW Royal Clifton immediately after the 2014 Open Championship. We found the hotel location to be convenient to the coast and of good value. While the service was good and the cleanliness of the room also good, we were very pleased with the food at the hotel, both dinner and breakfast.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

1 Thank DaiQin
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel Saturday night with my partner. We have stayed the night before in a lovely b&b as we decided to go a day earlier at a fraction of the price and also included a cooked breakfast.

On arriving at this hotel we could not park the car as there were no spaces as they open it up to the public. However, were advised to use the rear car park. Unfortunately, I had not realized the distance .. As I ended up with pain in my shoulder and had to keep stopping as is quite a distance to carry a decent sized bag! My partner has back problems so he couldn't help . I am just 5' and struggle with carrying heaving things, hence choosing a hotel with parking ! We called hotel prior to booking to check this facility who stated "parking not a problem".

Went up to the room which was located at the rear and omg.. All I can say I hope you don't visit on a hot day and need to open a window . It was disgusting as though never been cleaned an don't get me started on the lack of view! Why on earth would a guest want a nice view anyway?

Room far too warm to sleep and could hear mechanical noises and loud music .. All night long!

Room basic so don't be expecting anything fancy.

Staff varied, some polite and others found quite ignorant. You feel like what is the point in complaining as you can tell they were not interested.

Saying that, my partner had made a complaint re car park & feedback in relation to problems in the room. He showed reception pictures they looked horrified! They don't seem to have stepped foot in one!

Since our return we have both been shattered from the lack off sleep so he emailed the manager .. Nothing back ! No Customer service, no customer care, no interest in their health and safety concerns that were mentioned.

On the upside .. The health suite was nice and staff well mannered

My advice .. Go to 4star plus b B&b who can't do enough to help !

Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Tracy V
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Me and my family ( auntie, 2 little cousins : one aged 2 one aged 7 and nana) stayed at this hotel overnight and it was definatley worth the money! It was such a lovely stay! We only stayed one night but that one night proved to us that we would definatley stay again! The service was excellent! The rooms and bathroom was well tidy and looked after.. the food was lovely! The only bad thing was we was in a family room and the two single bed bedroom view wasnt very nice, also woken up by noisey neighbours from the hotel next to us but there isnt much you can do about that.. other than that.. FANTASTIC STAY!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Our wedding was held at the hotel on the 19th July. I would like to thank everyone involved in making our day so special. i could not fault anything. the staff were all amazing and very helpful and couldn't do enough for us. The food was delicious. The whole day ran so smoothly and our guest really enjoyed themselves. The wedding was perfect from start to finish.

• Stayed July 2014
Thank nikki.mcm
Rochdale
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We are staying at the above hotel as we write this review. Sorry to say, its not going to get the best review it's ever had.
When we arrived yesterday, we checked in with no problem, with a lovely receptionist called Michelle. We got to our room, which I believe is in the 'family' section of the hotel (the furthest away from anyone else). Our room is ok, but certainly not the best we have had. The bathroom is fine, but not at all helpful for towel hanging or placing toiletries. Unless you call one small shelf near the door an ideal place. The carpets in both ours and our Grandson room are badly stained and to be honest, I did not want to walk bare foot on them. We were overlooking the back of the hotel, which is thoroughly unpleasant to say the least. Worse still, in our grandsons room, the window was broken and stuck back in place with cellotape. Unbelievable!
The décor is sadly outdated and bland. The chairs are stained and shiny. I could not bring myself to sit in them at all. We had no fridge, despite the stifling heat, although when we requested a fan to cool the room, we were supplied with one quickly. On visiting the restaurant that night for our first meal, we were turned away as we had not 'booked' a table and there was a coach trip visiting !!!! 3 residents paying top dollar turned away in favour of a coach trip. Oh well, you live and learn. Apparently, we should have been told to book on the day we arrived, but sadly we were not told this. Needless to say, we decided there and then that we would not use the restaurant again at night. but eat out at other places. 3 people eating, at around £16 per head for 5 nights. I would say that was a considerable loss in revenue, wouldn't you?

The hotel looks lovely from outside. It is in a spectacular position, close to shops/parks/bars/restaurants and Pleasureland amusement park. It could be fabulous. And I am sorry to give it a bad review, as we would definitely come again. But money needs spending and quickly. Its tired and looks it.

Tonight we had 'entertainment' put on by the hotel. I was led to believe a band was playing. What we got was one man, in a tux, playing a keyboard (mostly out of tune) and "singing". Think of it as Max Bygraves (sorry Max) but totally out of tune. Whoever booked this person must have a serious hearing problem. Needless to say, we retreated to our room instead.

So there you go. The bad bits. The good bit is the swimming pool/gym and sauna. Really nice, and the young man working there could not do more for you.
The conservatory bar is lovely, a pleasant place to watch the world go by. Very reasonably priced food and drinks, but not the single malt whisky (Oban) which is £4.20 a shot. Ouch.

All in all, not the worst place to stay, considering it's location, but Best Western should be spending money on this lovely hotel....and putting its residents first.

By the way. If there are 3 people staying in one room, why only put 2 cups on the tray?

Room Tip: If you are bringing children, expect to be put at the furthest end of the hotel. No good for people...