Best Western Southport Seafront Royal Clifton Hotel & Spa
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Southport
Staffordshire
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 16 September 2009

I had read the reviews on this hotel and I disagree with some people. I found the hotel to be Full of character ( due to its many original features). I found the staff very helpful, The lift was out of order and we were unable to get to our room as we had a pram and could'nt get up the stairs so the staff upgraded us on arrival, no bother at all, to a promanade room which we thought was tastefully decorated and very clean. The resturant served beautiful food, and produced the best cooked lamb my mum had ever eaten !!!!!!!!!! We heard no noise as mentioned in other reviews and we fully enjoyed our stay xx

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 26 August 2009

This is a monstrosity of a hotel that should be put out of its misery. The staff in this rambling, dirty edifice on Southport's seafront clearly haven't been given the resources, or more likely any resonable fiscal incentive, to run the hotel to anything like acceptable standards. Upon squeezing sideways into my tiny room (all the rooms I saw were furnished poorly, MDF and cheap veneer figuring largely) I discovered that although the room had been made up there was dried blood on the bed covers. And not a microscopic speck - enough to justify an episode of CSI Southport. After complaining I was moved to a 'luxury suite' on the ground floor which while spacious was tatty and forlorn. The outside 'terrace' area had an ashtray that was full of cigarette ends despite the room having been made up. I could go on - no surface in the vast hotel was entirely free of grease or dirt. The breakfast room was too small for the number of guests in the hotel meaning there were long queues in the morning. According to one member of staff some of her colleagues had been working two weeks without a break - so the problem is clearly a managerial one. But this awful place really is the quintessence of all that can be terrible in British hotel keepings.

1 Thank sennelier

Travellers are raving about these Southport hotels

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 19 August 2009

loved the location of the hotel.. we got a room overlooking the promenade too., that was a big bonus.. the cleanliness and service was good.. didnt get to use other amenities but they were available for people who wanted..
parking falls a bit short of space for all the guests..
but overall, it was a wonderful weekend that we spent over there.. and was totally worth the money paid... would stay there again if i returned to Southport.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Thank surferosh .
Leicestershire
Reviewed 4 August 2009

Stayed there this weekend with Husband and 5 year old daughter. My mum and sister's family has also booked in separately. Once I had advised over the phone, they remembered we were all together and were very helpful at the reception desk, a very personal service. It is a good old fashioned Victorian Hotel and I wouldn't like to see it updated too much. Had a family room which was small but very clean and we liked the fact that my daughter had a separate room within the room. The breakfasts were excellent and piping hot. Great location overlooking the promenade. Was a bit noise on the Friday night as we could hear a function but it didn't stop us going to sleep. Will definatly go back again. Very good value hotel.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2009

I stayed here because a friend was hosting a wedding here. It's very 3 star - my room was cheap so therefore TINY. I had the best view...of A ROOF and felt unsafe to open my window at night because it was a flat roof and anyone could get in.

For what you get in the US for 3 star compared to what you get in the UK, it's a joke. The TV was tiny, the bathroom facilities were rubbish (15 mins to warm my shower up), couldn't turn the heated towel rail off etc.

The wedding side of thing seemed to be well co-ordinated except for the exceedingly dry chicken. Drinks prices seemed okay.

Staff were friendly.

Personally, I wouldn't stay again. They were obviously doing re-furb as outside my room there was paint, tools & parts of rooms!

Take EAR PLUGS. It is so loud, I stayed 2 nights and it was ridiculous. I was on the 1st floor and a bit away from the leisure suite rooms, still very noisy till nearly 4am.

Locaiton is good, very near a Morissons. Breakfast was okay, it's what you expect!

Just very bland and 3 star.

Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2009

On holiday with my husband, teenage daughter and young son. The only good thing I could really say about this hotel is that the staff were helpful and friendly. We had read numerous reviews and asked for a refurbished room when we booked the hotel. Previous reviews had suggested that these rooms were of a much better standard. We also upgraded to a promenade room as others had said the rear of the hotel was noisy. On arrival, our room was on the promenade, but it was definitely not refurbished - carpets badly stained, old wobbly furniture, paper peeling off the walls and smelt of cigarette smoke. We immediately returned to reception and asked to be moved, only to be told the hotel was in fact very full and there were no other rooms available. We could, however, be moved the following day to a room which was waiting to be serviced. This room did not smell of smoke, and had newer furniture. But if this was a refurbished room, as the man on reception told us, then I don't think much to the standard and quality of the refurbishment. The room was large and clean, but the bed was the most uncomfortable I have ever (not) slept in. The website of the hotel advised that all rooms had internet access ( and we checked this on the phone), but this was not the case. The people on reception advised that you could only get access if you were close to reception. Breakfast was not of a very high quality, and much of it was inedible (brick hard black pudding and fried bread, undercooked bacon and the mushrooms tasted damp). A better bet was the choice of cereals, fruit and pastries. Parking at the hotel was inadequate as it was so full. Had to pay on a number of occassions to park elsewhere, only to be advised on the last night that there was actually overflow parking to the rear! The Leisure Suite of the hotel is also tired and run down. The staff there are hopeful that there will be a refurbishment there soon. Overall, this hotel is very run down and overpriced, and I would not recommend it.

• Stayed July 2009
england
Reviewed 14 July 2009

Had a weekend in Southport to check the hotel out for possibly hosting our wedding.

We were more than happy with the service and quality of the hotel. Had lovely newly refurbished modern room, which was spotless. Staff could not be more helpful.

Lovely restaraunt with delicious food also, great bar snacks, when we didn't want to eat a big dinner.

Fabulous function room, and great wedding package, so have decided to hold our wedding reception there. There were a couple of great rooms to choose from infact!

Would reccomend to anyone wanting a nice relaxing weekend. And also recommend to anyone looking for a wedding reception venue!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple