“Very Good Hotel Experience - but note it's bit noisy at weekends”

Best Western Southport Seafront Royal Clifton Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Southport
Reviewed 1 August 2010

I stayed here, by myself, for 3 nights whilst watching the Ricoh Woman's Open golf at Royal Birkdale.

I got a good rate by paying in advance and was expecting a small single room. But I got lucky - I had a large double room that was excellent!

The location was good, fairly close to the Railway Station, and all the staff were friendly and efficient. I ate in the Conservatory Bistro, which has a sports bar feel to it. They had a good choice of fine value dishes that were served promptly by a friendly barman. Wi-fi is available, so I was able to catch up with e-mails whilst having a pint of Tetleys.

The breakfast is buffet style - great if you want to get off quickly. The selection was excellent.

From other reviews and mixed experiences in Best Western in the past, I had medium expectations. They were exceeded, although I know I got lucky with my room, I would come back here again without hesitation.

The only issue was that on Friday night there was a lot of youth activity somewhere around the back. Although not directly threatening, it was noisy right through to around 2pm. So take ear plugs if you are a light sleeper!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Richard W

Reviewed 24 July 2010

I stay in the Clifton several times a year to visit family - sometimes with my children who absolutely love staying there - often with a large group of friends and sometimes with my partner. I have never had a problem with parking my car - if the front of the hotel is full then you can park at the back. The swimming pool is lovely and there is a gym that you can use. You can sit out on the terrace while the family have a swim and have a nice coffee - and yes they let you smoke outside !! There is also a terrace outside bar C at the back of the hotel that is sheltered to accomodate smokers. The interior of the hotel is warm and welcoming and spotlessly clean as are the rooms. I have stayed in many different rooms in the hotel and have never had a problem with any of them. Bar C has entertainment on a fri night - usually karaoki which is great fun - and there are plenty of large screen tv's for the footie fans. Have eaten in bar C many times and always enjoyed the food. Have stayed in many 5 star establishments which offer a bufet style breakfast but none of them beat the Clifton. The residents bar is great - we returned after a great night out to find the bar more than happy to accomodate us - they didn't mind us ordering in pizza at such a late hour and even after the residents bar closed the night porter was happy to serve us. The staff are all so helpful and polite though a special mention has to go to one of the managers 'Pauline' who always has great advice on where to go for a good night out - the casino being one of my favourite places - and also to housekeeper 'Tracy'. The location of the hotel is brilliant and as some friends of mine said they would love to try a murder mystery weekend - the Clifton even do them so I shall be booking that one today !!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 July 2010

All 8 of us stayed 3rd July. Rooms where spotless and spacious,food was excellent. Staff extremley nice and helpful. In a brilliant spot for shopping and the beach. We all had a fantastic time thank you and hope to come back soon.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 June 2010

Stayed in this Best Western last night ( July 17th )Hotel is well placed right on Southport Promenande , and was very clean , spacious , and staff gave a good service.
We had two single roomsv ery modestly priced ( at £42.50 ) and were also quite spacious and well appointed. The last Best Western I stayed in was a disaster - this one is excellant value. (9/10 )

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 May 2010

Stayed in room 241. It was exceedingly noisy, hot, very tired looking, stained carpet, uncomfortable and outrageously expensive. The bathroom would of looked happier in the 1950's. The room was at the back of the hotel, where there are several nightclubs in the vicinity going fell pelt until the early hours. We could not of opened the window as this would of allowed more noise in and also I was frightened that it would fall apart at any minute. If I hadn't been so jet-lagged I wouldn't of contemplated even putting my head on the so called pillows. The TV had 4 BBC1 channels and was in the same condition as the room. If we hadn't checked in late we would of gone to another hotel. Lesson learned never, never again. The staff that I did encounter didn't seem to give a toss. This sums up the total experience. I was much happier when we checked out at 7.30 the next morning.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2010

Myself and my partner booked a short break mon-fri with Harris Coaches of bromsgrove which meant staying at this hotel which I last stayed at some 23 years ago.
This imposing hotel stands on the end of the promenade just across the road from the marine lake and only a very short walk to the main shopping streets,and yes it is now getting a bit tired and really could do with a few quid spending on it but credit where it is due it beats some modern hotels hands down for service and value.The staff are really friendly and extremely hepful and the quality of food is outstandingly good value.
However,it has one serious downfall and that is if you are unlucky enough to be given a room at the rear of the hotel you will find it very difficult to get any sleep with the local night clubs situated in a side road to the rear of the hotel and when they turn out at any time up to 4-30am they all come past the rear of the hotel in full drunken voice,so BEWARE.
There is no double glazing in the hotel which dont help.
If you want value for money in a lovely town then you wont beat it but do ask for a front facing room.You have ben warned!

• Stayed: May 2010
Reviewed 25 May 2010

I had a promenade-facing room on the first floor which had the downside of some traffic noise (the windows had to be left open on a sweltering weekend) but the upside of a sea view. The room was, well,......roomy, and comfortable, and the bathroom was large and spotless. The breakfast was fairly basic fare (I'd prefer to see more up-market touches in a Best Western such as grilled beef tomatoes rather than warmed tinned tomatoes) but very filling - a good start to the day. The staff were pleasant and helpful.
I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
Travellers also viewed these Southport hotels
Ramada Plaza Southport
#4 of 23 in Southport
Balmoral Lodge Hotel
Balmoral Lodge Hotel
#12 of 23 in Southport

Been to Best Western Southport Seafront Royal Clifton Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!