“Pretty good but poor parking”

Best Western Southport Seafront Royal Clifton Hotel & Spa
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Southport
Dublin, Ireland
“Pretty good but poor parking”
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Nice (3 star) Victorian hotel in Southport. We attended a wedding recently in this hotel and were very pleased overall BUT the car-parking facilities are awful. I was given a ticket to park my car in an alleyway behind the hotel. It was a hire car and to be honest I wasn't really ecpecting it to be there in the morning. Had I brought my own car, I would have felt the need to sleep in it to defend it from the roving bands of hideously drunken teenagers who pervade Southport at night. Happily it was there (undamaged) so perhaps my fears were unfounded, but certainly don't expect to park in the hotel car park and if you love your car, prepare for a sleepless night.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (471)
  • Polish first
devon
Reviewed 2 August 2010

We went up for the Ricoh Womens Open Golf Championship and booked rather late so this was the only hotel we could get into - I can now see why. What a shame that a hotel with a grand sea front setting and a history could have fallen into such a poor state bordering on the delapidated. Our room 207 was a corner room with a sea view but unfortunately on the side faced a street full of night clubs which had loud dance music blaring out until the early hours. The room itself was not just tired looking but also positively grubby. Long black hairs (not ours) in the shower, dirty windows etc and when they did come to 'clean' the room dirty teacups were left behind and the rubbish bag from the bathroom bin was left under the sink. Breakfast was a disgusting congealed greasy mass of food so bran flakes from a carton was the only option. The following morning we just didnt bother. An experience not to be repeated.

Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Southport hotels

Suffolk
Reviewed 1 August 2010

I stayed here, by myself, for 3 nights whilst watching the Ricoh Woman's Open golf at Royal Birkdale.

I got a good rate by paying in advance and was expecting a small single room. But I got lucky - I had a large double room that was excellent!

The location was good, fairly close to the Railway Station, and all the staff were friendly and efficient. I ate in the Conservatory Bistro, which has a sports bar feel to it. They had a good choice of fine value dishes that were served promptly by a friendly barman. Wi-fi is available, so I was able to catch up with e-mails whilst having a pint of Tetleys.

The breakfast is buffet style - great if you want to get off quickly. The selection was excellent.

From other reviews and mixed experiences in Best Western in the past, I had medium expectations. They were exceeded, although I know I got lucky with my room, I would come back here again without hesitation.

The only issue was that on Friday night there was a lot of youth activity somewhere around the back. Although not directly threatening, it was noisy right through to around 2pm. So take ear plugs if you are a light sleeper!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Richard W
Conwy
Reviewed 24 July 2010

I stay in the Clifton several times a year to visit family - sometimes with my children who absolutely love staying there - often with a large group of friends and sometimes with my partner. I have never had a problem with parking my car - if the front of the hotel is full then you can park at the back. The swimming pool is lovely and there is a gym that you can use. You can sit out on the terrace while the family have a swim and have a nice coffee - and yes they let you smoke outside !! There is also a terrace outside bar C at the back of the hotel that is sheltered to accomodate smokers. The interior of the hotel is warm and welcoming and spotlessly clean as are the rooms. I have stayed in many different rooms in the hotel and have never had a problem with any of them. Bar C has entertainment on a fri night - usually karaoki which is great fun - and there are plenty of large screen tv's for the footie fans. Have eaten in bar C many times and always enjoyed the food. Have stayed in many 5 star establishments which offer a bufet style breakfast but none of them beat the Clifton. The residents bar is great - we returned after a great night out to find the bar more than happy to accomodate us - they didn't mind us ordering in pizza at such a late hour and even after the residents bar closed the night porter was happy to serve us. The staff are all so helpful and polite though a special mention has to go to one of the managers 'Pauline' who always has great advice on where to go for a good night out - the casino being one of my favourite places - and also to housekeeper 'Tracy'. The location of the hotel is brilliant and as some friends of mine said they would love to try a murder mystery weekend - the Clifton even do them so I shall be booking that one today !!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Bury
Reviewed 4 July 2010

All 8 of us stayed 3rd July. Rooms where spotless and spacious,food was excellent. Staff extremley nice and helpful. In a brilliant spot for shopping and the beach. We all had a fantastic time thank you and hope to come back soon.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Lancashire
Reviewed 18 June 2010

Stayed in this Best Western last night ( July 17th )Hotel is well placed right on Southport Promenande , and was very clean , spacious , and staff gave a good service.
We had two single roomsv ery modestly priced ( at £42.50 ) and were also quite spacious and well appointed. The last Best Western I stayed in was a disaster - this one is excellant value. (9/10 )

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Brockhill
Reviewed 31 May 2010

Stayed in room 241. It was exceedingly noisy, hot, very tired looking, stained carpet, uncomfortable and outrageously expensive. The bathroom would of looked happier in the 1950's. The room was at the back of the hotel, where there are several nightclubs in the vicinity going fell pelt until the early hours. We could not of opened the window as this would of allowed more noise in and also I was frightened that it would fall apart at any minute. If I hadn't been so jet-lagged I wouldn't of contemplated even putting my head on the so called pillows. The TV had 4 BBC1 channels and was in the same condition as the room. If we hadn't checked in late we would of gone to another hotel. Lesson learned never, never again. The staff that I did encounter didn't seem to give a toss. This sums up the total experience. I was much happier when we checked out at 7.30 the next morning.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple