“Dreadful......do not eat here”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Alexandra & Victoria Restaurant
Ranked #253 of 369 Restaurants in Southport
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 12 February 2013

Like other people who have reviewed this restaurant (and others in the restaurant at the same time) we were dining on a Groupon 5 course taster menu purchased for £25 for two, but advertised on the offer at over £80 for two.

On arrival the premises looked pretty run-down, we went through reception and were shown to our table by a waitress, who was very friendly.

Our meal included a glass of house wine, which was mediocre at best.

The first course was vegetable soup (very thick, quite tasteless but edible) served with 1/2 slice of bread (which appeared to be a 'tiger loaf' probably purchased from the large local supermarket. The second course either black pudding or mushrooms. Again, the black pudding was edible though very dry and the mushroom dish was four or five button mushrooms in a sauce that was completely inedible, just looked like melted butter and cream that had gone off.

In the meantime, we ordered a bottle of wine but there were only a choice of three red (including the house). We did have a bottle of good red wine at a very reasonable price though.

On to the next course. My husband had chicken which was okay but it was served with a tasteless bed of non descipted potato/veg dish. I had pasta with tomato, mushroom and chilli. It tasted like a value microwave with a bit of extra tomato puree and chilli added to it.

Dessert was chocolate brownie and ice cream, which again appeared to be from the local supermarket. The final course was supposed to be a cracker with brie and cranberry. When the waitress brought the dish over she apologised and said they had run out of cranberry and replaced with a strawberry. On looking at our plate we realised what we had was a hovis cracker, a spoon full of grated cheddar and a strawberry.

Throughout the meal we spoke to the waitresses, who were very friendly, but they have become quite blaise about the whole situation. They get the same complaints day in day out. We spoke to the owner/managers wife on the our way out, but she really couldn't care......said she only works one day a week. When questioned about whether she cared about the problems she just replied "what do you want me to do about it". What more can I say .........

1  Thank MLS123123

Reviewed 12 February 2013

Can not fault the place. can not fault the people, can not fault the comfort or their meals, Breakfast to die for, would not get it in the Ritz,

1  Thank gerry h h
Reviewed 27 January 2013

Last year the food and service at the 'Dining Rooms' (Victoria and Albert hotel in southport) was superb and couldn't be faulted. This year it was awful. Spring rolls looked like they'd come from the Tesco 'every day' range. My 'medium rare' fillet steak was burned and tasted like stewing steak (that hadn't been stewed), the chips were overdone and I couldn't taste pepper in the peppercorn sauce. The lamb that people had was burned on the outside and raw in the middle. Essentially the worst meal I've had out. The waitresses were getting bullied by the chef, manager and owner (one in the same person). The bar ran out of cider (after 2 bottles) bottles, no draft bitter - only cans - and didn't give change (they'd run out) all night, until they had some - then you had to go and ask for it. The brownies and ice cream came without ice cream and was taken away from me in disgust when it was pointed out to the waitress. The brownies tasted like Tesco everyday range too. The merengue nests had been cut in two.
My dad complained to the chef, he wasn't interested in the slightest until dad said he'd put a pic of the lamb on the internet. He then got a tirade of abuse from the guy.
I had been going on to everyone how good this place was - embarrassing!

1  Thank bsmallwo
Reviewed 4 January 2013

I will be short and to the point on this review as i dont want to remember the experience again.Husband and i went for afternoon tea at this establishment after a nice day of christmas shopping, as we entered we were shouted at from the far side of reception, are you groupon or livin-social ,we were taken through to the dining area which was unclean and a very poor standard the food was the cheep rubbish you can buy in £ shops and the service none existant do not vist this place for anything its awful.

1  Thank trixiliverpool
Reviewed 31 December 2012

My family and I have just got back from the rip-off experience of our life! It's New Year's Eve (Dec 31, 2012). We've had a nice family Christmas with my Father up from Oxford to help us celebrate the Christmas & New Year. My wife bought a Groupon voucher to attend the Alexandra and Victoria Hotel (Southport) for their "Christmas High Tea Experience", which the Groupon voucher reckoned was worth £100. What an appalling rip-off! The fact that we only paid £35 (because of the voucher discount) is no consolation at all as I would have complained if we'd paid £3.00 per head (there were four of us).

Firstly, our original visit was postponed at very short notice indeed. We had been due to attend the 'High Tea experience' the day before we actually went (Dec 30th at 2:30pm) but at 1:00pm just as we about to leave, we received a phone call from the hotel saying that they had a large buffet group in and that we couldn't be accommodated at the original time (even though it was booked several days before the intended date) due to lack of space. They were apologetic so I didn't mind too much as they said we could go the next day at 2:30, and this is what we did.

So, earlier this afternoon we set off for the hotel. There were some early clues as to what we might expect. Our table had been set up for two, rather than four, so while the waitress changed the table layout we sat in a very drab reception area which looked awful. It was grubby and the carpet hadn't seen a vacuum cleaner for several days. When we moved through to the restaurant (a conservatory area) it was obvious that the cleaning from the 'buffet' the day or night before had not been taken seriously. There were used plastic cutlery under some tables and the crumbs from previous diners and meals were still on the floor. I thought the dining area was shabby and tired looking, nothing like the cosy Christmas experience we might have expected. There was a beige coloured chair at another vacant table which had grubby hand marks on it - it looked as though it hadn't been cleaned for months, perhaps years!

Perhaps most disappointing was the food.... the very thing that we had gone to experience! When we bought the Groupon voucher, the advertising painted a picture of a high-class Christmas experience... was I wrong to imagine an 'Olde-Worlde', comfortable, cosy restaurant , perhaps with crisp white tablecloths and attentive waiters. This was a reasonable assumption, afterall the advertsing stated that this was worth £100.... that's £25 each.... for which I would have expected a high degree of excellence. Sadly, the crisp white table cloths and cosy atmos of my imagination didn't stand a chance to materialise.

What we received was utter trash! The sandwiches were of the standard I might expect from one of those greasy-spoon vans that you sometimes see in laybys on minor link roads.... there was no choice and nobody asked what we might like... we got tuna/mayo, cheese and onion and plain ham (although they had the good grace to cut the crusts off!). We expected scones but none arrived although they did provided the 'cream'. There was no jam (but hey, we didn't get the poxy scones.... why would we need the jam?!) and the 'cakes' which we thought might be home made were all obviously from a catering pack. The chocolate swiss roll looked as if it had been left over from the previous night's buffet... it was soggy and looked as though it had suffered a cardiac arrest... there were two mince pies, in individual, neat, factory produced silver foil trays (classy!) and some very moist christmas cake which was very unappetising. The coffee was served in individual coffee pots which was a nice touch but sadly the coffee didn't taste like coffee... it was weak and luke warm. The advert showed a steaming mug of mulled wine, complete with assorted fruits and a cinamon stick.... what we got was three glasses of microwave heated red liquid. Utterly hopeless ! The hotel is advertised as a "family run business" which adds to the impression of a really cosy, comfortable, value for money, with high levels of customer service... blimey, I'd rather stay at Fawlty Towers... at least there I'd have a laugh!

So, all in all, a dreadful, dreadful, dreadful experience. The family that runs this place should be ashamed of themselves.

3  Thank KevinBass69