“Very rude manager”

Ranked #258 of 370 Restaurants in Southport
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

Used to eat here a lot, even the owners used to eat in thier own restraunt and was always nice atmosphere. However, food quality very poor, portion sizes not even enough to fill up a 5 year old little girl! When complain, met with a barrage of ride insulting coments about how I know nothing about service or food, which is wrong as 22 years in higher management in this field! Manager just trying to justify why he is failing, sack him and bring back previous, even lost the great chef as he dissagreed with what crap he was being asked to serve up! Avoid at all costs!!!!!

2  Thank Gpink

Reviewed 5 August 2013

We came here a while ago after we tasted food at the Southport food festival and the food then was absolutely superb. We went back quite recently and at 7pm on a Friday night the restaurant was empty, should have realised then that something was wrong.

I ordered garlic mushrooms, when they came they were greasy, badly cooked mushrooms on an anaemic, microwaved white bagel with lettuce, a slice of cucumber and slice of tomato (very basic of salads). I ate a few mushrooms but left most of it as it was quite dreadful. When the waitress collected our dishes she did look a little uncomfortable as I clearly hadn't eaten much.

The worst was yet to come, hubby ordered "fall off the bone" lamb shank. It was tough as old boots with rock hard vegetables. My lasagne was really dry, no succulent juices or melting cheese, it looked like it was a ready meal that had been overcooked, then microwaved to remove as much moisture and flavour as possible, then served with what was quite possibly the same dire salad that came with the starter,

The waitress did admit that the former chef had been sacked but even somebody with basic kitchen skills could rustle up something better than this.

Avoid at all costs.

1  Thank SunshineSoozy
Reviewed 26 June 2013

I went for lunch today, with three friends who specifically asked me to book the Dining Room having eaten there previously and being delighted. I ordered a Steak and Ale pie that was actually mushroom and steak (in that order!) I hate mushrooms, and wouldn't have ordered them had the menu specified them as an ingredient. Nothing on the plate was made in their kitchen - it was all bought-in frozen and then microwaved. I can honestly say that it is easily the worst food I have ever had in Southport (and I live here and eat out often). My friends were all very disappointed with their meals, too. We didn't stay for desserts, going instead to a decent restaurant for those! A greasy spoon or inferior pub would have served a similar standard (cheaper!) There are so many excellent eateries in Southport, so the Dining Room is totally off my menu for the future.

1  Thank Jeannemint
Reviewed 16 May 2013

My husband and I were treated to a meal here for my husbands retirement. The place was dark and dingy and the reception area was confusing. Didn't look like a restaurant the staff did not appear to be happy. Wish we hadn't bothered the food was dreadful the steaks were charred and the onion rings looked as of they had come out of a tin. Seven members of the party demanded a refund which they did get. We would never go there again or recommend it to anyone.

3  Thank susan m T
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I will make this a brief as possible, on arrival the reception is very unwelcoming and very dark lots of chairs and cluter. We booked our one night stay at this hotel on Booking.Com it was listed as a 4 star rating, and the pictures are very misleading, we arrived 15 mins before the booking in time, the lady couldn't find our booking, I thankfully had printed off the booking comfirmation, then she realised that she was on the wrong date, the lady checked if our room was ready, and it was, we had requested a top floor with a sea view, the top floor was granted, but the sea view wasn't, we faced a large block of flats which was very disappointing.

Our room was number 8,very small,dingy,tired, and very very basic, complete with kitchette, we couldn't get the television working so we asked reception for assistance, the man came up he tried but he too couldn't get it to work, so he gave us another room so we then moved to room number 6, this had a lovely frontal view which was alot better than number 8, had they gave us number 6 in the beginning it would have been alot better, why they are saving rooms if there is no one there is beyond me!!
Please also note this hotel was star rated in 2008, and not by RAC OR AA

Moving onto the breakfast, that was fine no problems at all.

To summerise, this is definately not a 4 star hotel, more 2 star
I hope this helps and thank you for reading my review.

4  Thank LASTORDERS