“A nice hotel, but take some earplugs”

Scarisbrick Hotel Southport
Ranked #19 of 23 Hotels in Southport
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We booked a 2 night stay last week for £30 a night (which included breakfast). Room was nice, clean and comfortable but it was extremely hot and at night very noisy!!! For the second night my partner and I decided to buy some earplugs which really helped. Location is great - right in the middle of the town and close to the train station. I was slightly annoyed that the hotel was advertised with a pool but we had to pay £4 each to gain entry!

All in all a average stay, pleasant staff, a nice breakfast... but buy some earplugs before going!!!

Room Tip: Take ear plugs!!!!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank amy0161

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Just returned from a three day short break with my husband at this hotel. Please stay right away from this hotel, its a dump in everyway. We stay in a Britannia hotel around every few months, inbetween our holidays. As my husband is unwell and these breaks do him good ( well they normally do )We have stayed at The Prince of Wales, staff polite, very helpful and food good. The Britannia in Manchester was also another hotel that had very nice polite staff and the hotel was very clean, one of the nicest restaurants.
We have stayed at this hotel before a few years ago. Whilst at The Scarisbrick Hotel this week, An item of mine, which was bought for me by my daughter went missing from our room, I did only take one door card as i only needed the one and you can have two, so please take the two even if not needed. After several visits to reception, I was told that the cards show on a computer when they have been used and by who has a card. The young girl got me the manager, who said this showed him no one had been in the room. with another card. I asked for the police to be brought in and his reply was, yes we can do that but here is the everdence, that I will show them. He did not want to know, No one came up to our room or rang up, we had to go down each time. He asked was I sure I had It since I arrived
His customer care manor was very poor, He did not want to explain anything about how the door cards work, one of the worse managers I have ever come across.
I was so upset, the following morning, i went back to reception to ask if the 2nd card would register if used and i was told yes. I spoke to another manager on the Wednesday morning, a young lady, who was so helpful and understanding. She kept our case in reception, as i was not putting it in the unlocked room they provide. She said while everything was out the room she would go up herself and have a last check, she was so kind. This is all it takes, for people in these job to come across that they do care, not shrug shoulder at you that they dont care.When i returned home and thought about how i was treated by the manager on the Monday 21/7, I rang the police helpline, I told them what had happened and they are looking into this matter for me.The cctv only on the first floor.
We have never had to wait outside a hotel restaurants of a morning and wait for your room number to be called, while waiting with other people for a table, like this hotel, this is very poor and so many people were complaining about this. The rooms could do with updating. The only polite member of staff was the receptionist and the Lady manager on the Wednesday 23/7.
Please dont blow your money like we did, stay away !

Room Tip: Dont go to any
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank debbie5015
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Got to sleep after 4 this morning with aforementioned nightclub music,now awake at 6.15am with 2 workmen directly outside window sawing a pipe & hammering something - directly outside window.Can't shut window it's boiling like a sauna.Called Reception and the man on the desk burst out laughing and said "I shouldn't laugh really".Such a shame I agree it seems mismanaged by youngsters am so disappointed it threatened to ruin our daughter's graduation as we were so tired - have recommended to University to tell visitors to avoid at all costs.Even Pontins in Southport would be a better alternative - and that's saying something!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank E S
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Stayed in hotel on a golf trip with a group of 18 the room we had was very small, the smallest twin room i have ever stayed in and it was very hot. Unlike other rooms our window did open so to have some fresh air you had to listen to the kitchen fans of Pizza Express all night. The bathroom was so small you could use all the facilities without moving a step. We were half board the breakfast was ok but you had to get a flask of hottish water to make tea or coffee, dinner had a choice of dishes but no better than the breakfast both meal times can get busy. Location was good central to bars and shops short walk to sea front and pier. The only good point of the hotel was the real ale bar which was only £2.10 a pint I suppose the price made up from the poor condition of hotel. If I was offered free accommodation I would not stay here again

Room Tip: Like others have said to choose a good room stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank jebro77
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Beautiful old building with lots of charm in the centre of Southport.
But... awful place to stay:
Unfriendly, unhelpful staff.
Boasts a pool - but it closes at 4pm at the weekend so no use at all for those arriving in the afternoon.
Small bedroom with an 'en-suite' that was a bath length long and about 4ft wide - couldn't sit on toilet without knees hitting wash basin. Had to dry myself in the bath as there was no space to next to it to stand.
Not clean, just felt grubby.
So noisy, lots of pubs & clubs in area belting out loud music until the early hours.
No parking (it does tell you that on website to be fair)
To sum up there's poster which promotes the type of activities and clientele they are aiming for... 'Stag parties - bucket of beer on arrival'
It's rough, really rough!

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Peter W
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Just got back after a Friday night there me my wife and 11 year old daughter we was kept up all night with loud music and partying until 4 am had to have windows shut but couldn't breathe with the heat no fans they knew we had a child why put us in that room where all the bars are located spoilt our night do not take children here very disappointed they could have put us in other room with a child away from nightlife it's a shame because had some good points

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Grahanwhipp
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

If you're feeling nostalgic and fancy a trip back in time to the 70's/early 80's then a great bedbug biting time your going to have. The whole 'hotel' (I've stayed in better hostels), is incredibly outdated and in need of a major renovation. Mr Sheen would have his work cut out, not to mention his mate Henry the Hoover! Pleased I only had to stay the one night. General dirtiness, light fittings hanging off the walls, incredibly inconsiderate guests in nearby rooms, and not to mention the infamous 'nightclub' below. Rule of thumb: you only get what you pay for!

• Stayed: June 2014