“The North West's best kept secret. Why?”
Review of Gdanska Polish Restaurant - CLOSED

Gdanska Polish Restaurant
Price range: US$0 - US$23
Cuisines: Polish
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 26 October 2012

Without doubt one of the best surprises you can experience in culinary delights in Southport.
Excellent food and service. What an experience.

2  Thank Travellers2608

Reviewed 19 August 2012

We wanted to do something different for our wedding anniversary last night, and came across the Gdanska on Tripadviser, with 3 great reviews. As my wife has learned a few words of Polish from her team-mate at work we decided to give the Gdanska a try as we'd never even spotted it before, tucked away in a little side-road near the station.

We booked a table for an early dinner at 4pm, but we needn't have bothered as there were only two other groups there when we arrived, to a very warm welcome from Gosia.The restaurant was beautifully decorated with Murals of Poland, clean and attractive and (presumably Polish) background music which really was "background" and subtle.

I was surprised at having "Hunter's Stew" on the menu for a starter, as a "Stew" for me is more of a Main Course item, but we both decided to investigate! Obviously something didn't work on the translation as "Hunter's Stew is a dish of finely-chopped Polish sausage and cabbage, but not slopping around in gravy as I had imagined, but beautifully presented as a mould of sausage and cabbage with an attractive garnish - and delicious. (see photo)

My main course was another Polish dish - chicken with mushroom tarragon sauce, accompanied by diced potatoes, carrots and broccolli. As with the starter, the plate was also garnished with a reduced balsamic vinegar, which was a perfect accompaniment.

My wife finished off with the ice cream with Baileys (by this time we were on our second round of large Żubrówka Polish vodka - lovely flavour!) and I went for the Polish-style Apple pie, and this turned out to be what we'd call an apple charlotte - I was pleasantly surprised.

We sat a while longer (and another round of Żubrówka!) as there was no "rushing us to leave", and finally headed back to the station for the journey home after a very memorable anniversary dinner. Our thanks to Gosia and her waitress (and the chef, who we didn't meet) for a lovely early evening.

Although there are probably enough restaurants in Southport to go to a different one each evening, we'll definitely be returning to Gdanska - soon. Please DON'T tell everyone about it, as we'd hate to try to book again and find it's full!!

(the post-code keeps it well hidden, as it was originally posted incorrectly - I have reported this and it should be PR9 0TE - Tough on anyone trying to find it by sat-nav until it has been updated!)

2  Thank Stu N
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Fab food, excellent service. 'Bigos' (Hunters stew) was amazing. Main course, cabbage leaves stuffed with meat and rice, with a lovely creamy tomato sauce was to die for! Many thanks to all the staff for a lovely evening! x

1  Thank Amanda N
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Gdanska is my favourite place to dine in Southport. I was delighted with unique atmosphere which I have never found in any other restaurant.

The quality of dishes is excellent and I love the fact that chef prepares everything from fresh ingredients and he surprises with new ideas. The service is very professional and friendly. As far as the ambiance is concerned, the restaurant is very clean, modern, with a lovely panorama of Gdansk city on the walls- once you are there you just don't want to leave.

I really like that there is such a great choice of dishes in the menu. My favourite ones are Polish style Goulash, Polish style Steak topped with grilled tomato and Chicken fillets with vegetables in sweet chili. Polish dumplings and homemade blueberry cake are to die for too!

For me Gdanska means first-class meal at affordable prices and unforgettable experience of Polish cuisine. I can't wait to go there next time!

5  Thank Renata P
Reviewed 20 May 2012

This is my fourth visit to this restauarant. I took a party of 14 in May 2012.
Dont let the side alley put you off is my key message!!!

I had asked for a selction of starters and Poish Soup, Main Course and Dessert and wow!! It was great.

The Beetroot Soup with Ravioli was to die for, and just how I remembered it if not better on my trips to Poland. We then sampled Wild Boar Stew and then Some cold starters along with Perogi, which was a mix of three.
Then a chicken or Pork main course fllwed by Pears in soaked in red wine.

There were also some fantastic Polish beers and vodka. My party were very impressed and we arrived at 7.00pm and left very full at 11.30pm, having had a brilliant time.

We were so impressed we are going to make it a trip to sample Poloish Cuiine every three months now.

Be adventurous and try the food. Polish Food is not all root vegetables and vodka!! Also some English Dishses on the menu or just ask.

I cannot go on about this hidden gem enough. We also left a huge tip as the meal was too cheap!! but 5 star!!

1  Thank Jason C