“Birdwatching heaven!”
Review of RSPB Marshside

RSPB Marshside
Ranked #12 of 43 things to do in Southport
Reviewed 27 June 2017 via mobile

It a lovely space to walk around and look at the wildlife. Cycling and running in the area is stunning and the diversity of birds is incredible at the right time of year.

All reviews
in 7 reviews
"information"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed 21 June 2017

A nice area providing extensive views and a wealth of wildlife, shame about the dogs running off leads.

Reviewed 15 April 2017 via mobile

Had a great time, we spent a good ten minutes reading the board regarding the different types of birds that we could potentially see in the park, then off we went looking for them! I spotted a long tailed song thrush, a common chiffchaff and my personal favourite a common reed bunting (got a great pic of it eating a worm it looks like, I'll upload it when I get chance) the car park is free also which is a nice touch by Merseyside council, thanks guys!
We had our butties and flasks then proceeded to have a game of hide and seek(lots of great hiding places, although I did feel a little silly when an elderly couple walking their dog spotted me hiding behind a Japanese barberry bush. Being 42 I had to pretend I was looking for the car key! After a couple of hrs we all decided to head back to the car, to go back to the hotel to freshen up, as we were going to go on the pier again for an hr or so. It was when we got back to the car I spotted what looked like an old style Volvo estate with a man and women sat in the front,parked in front of mine. The light was dimming now, and as we all got in the car the driver of the volvo kept flashing his lights several times in consistent patterns, and also had the interior light on. I know through experience exactly what this means.......we hastily drove off and didn't feel the need to mention what had just gone on to our youngster. All in all a great day

Paul Tilly and family (Burnley)

1  Thank Paul-Tilly
Reviewed 14 April 2017

Visited here last week for the first time, free car park, hide across the road and one further along the road. Didn't want to leave, the RSPB guys and ladies were very helpful, pointing out different species and telling us what had been seen. The RSPB lady also had a scope and she found a bird she had been talking about and then let us look.

I went back the day after and took my husband who isn't really a bird watcher, I couldn't get the binoculars off him :) well worth a visit.

See more reviews
Reviewed 11 April 2017

Marshside RSPB reserve, along with the huge expanse of salt marsh across the coast road and nearby Hesketh Out Marsh is one of the most important places for wild birds in the country. Vast numbers of wildfowl, geese, ducks, swans and wading birds both reside here and pass through on migration. The numbers are huge and rival any other estuary in the UK. Access is limited, there are only two hides and a few other viewing areas but a public footpath runs the length of the reserve on the landward side and views of the birds can be had easily from here. Serious birders will know how important this place is but more casual observers will find it well worth the visit especially at a high spring tide. The local RSPB staff take guided walks out onto the saltmarsh and around Hesketh Out Marsh which are well worth going on.