“Southport Library - Real Community Hub”
Review of The Atkinson

The Atkinson
Ranked #2 of 37 things to do in Southport
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Love theatre, film, music, comedy and exhibitions? Then you'll love The Atkinson. The museum Between Land and Sea: 10,000 years of Sefton's Coast with the permanent exhibition Discover Ancient Egypt featuring The Goodison Collection means Sefton finally has a place to share its history. With Children's theatre, some of the biggest names in comedy, music and art The Atkinson really is a cultural pick 'n' mix for all the family. The Atkinson is a focal point for the town centre. Set in a grade II listed building in the centre of Lord Street in Southport. The Atkinson is managed and run by Sefton Council. Please check our website for full opening hours. The Museum & Exhibitions are open 10am - 4pm Monday to Saturday and 11am -4pm on a Sunday. We are only open on Sunday during Sefton School Holidays.
Useful Information: Stairs / lift, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Baby buggy parking, Activities for young children
Reviewed 4 July 2014

What a vibrant place! Children enjoying story time, friends chatting, lots of space to plug in and log-on, knowledgeable staff and a great selection of books. Well done!

2  Thank Lottie J

Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

I'm a law student, I need a quiet place to study but there isn't any in that smelly library! The only thing you can year is kids screaming and old people talking very loudly because they think they are in the pub!! And the staff?! Oh dear lord, very rude and moody staff and No, I'm not overreacting!! I wasn't allowed to have my printings because I forgot my card, its a bloody print not a dirty movie, besides that they are expensive the fact that they refuse to sell them, they are losing money. Very rude and arrogant the staff and unfortunately I got work to do, sometimes I need to go to that... horrible place they call library because it got some books! Can at least they put a silent room?! Because the smell they can't avoid, I always take my body spray with me just in case...

6  Thank Phatz82
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The Atkinson is a multi-purpose venue in the centre of Southport on Lord Street. It is an art gallery, library, cafe and concert/show venue; I visited The Studio (concert venue) to see Jo Harman. It's a small venue, very intimate with great views of the stage no matter where you sit; the sound and accoustics are excellent, and there is a bar where refreshments can be purchased. There is an extensive list of artists/shows performing at The Atkinson and I can recommend this venue as a great place to go.

1  Thank Topdog57
Reviewed 1 July 2014

So sad that Martin Carthy couldn't make it - all our good wishes for his speedy recovery.

The performance given by Eliza and Saul was outstanding. We were blown away - it could not have been bettered.

1  Thank margaretH222
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Went to see Larry Miller Band at The Atkinson last February. Fabulous band, venue
and acoustics. The seating is arranged so everyone has a great view. Will look forward
to visiting again in the near future.

1  Thank June D