“Pleasant surprise.” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Waterfront
Ranked #266 of 353 Restaurants in Southport
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Kids, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Cheap and cheerful restaurant/pub which is owned by Greene King and part of the Hungry Horse chain. We have private booths available with personal TVs for sports/news/kids tv, perfect for destracting the kids.
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“Pleasant surprise.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

We ate at the Waterfront on Saturday 21st June (evening meal).
If i had read the reviews prior to our trip to Southport we would have given it a miss.
Please don't let the reviews put you off as we were more than pleased.
The location couldn't be better, the service was excellent and the choice is ample.
Admittedly it is not michelin star cooking but for a good quality , tasty meal and excellent value for money you can't go wrong.
2 starters, 2 mains from the grill menu and a bottle of the house red for £26.00 can't see a lot wrong in that.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Good Location but Poor Food.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

This pub is placed in a great location in Southport and this is where the good points stop. The food was tasteless, cold and poor quality. We asked if we could be seated in a booth but apparently as we are only a family of 3 this was not possible, which upset our 4 year old hugely. We where told they reserved the booths for party's of 4 when its busy. As it was not busy I could not see the harm in seating us in one as they have tv's in which entertains our son whilst we ate but this was not possible. So short of having another child in order to be seated appropriately we will not be returning to this establishment.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Southport
“Awful”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

My chicken was pink! After raising the issue with the supervisor I was offered yet more chicken (no thank you!!) it replacement chips to which I had a plate full already,,,, she took my meal away leaving me with nothing whilst my family ate, eventually after talking to the manager I got a refund but doesn't stop the fact I was told the chicken was ought in cooked and they just re heated it and I was left not eating when the rest of my family were eating, disgusting customer service!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mummy2112
Liverpool, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Poor quality food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

I have visited the hungry horse on previous occasions and have been happy with the service, but after my previous visit I will not be returning. I ordered Chicken tikka, which was served on a cold plate on a cold salad, which obviously made the chicken turn cold pretty fast! I then asked for an additional side order of pilau rice, which was obviously NOT fresh, as it had a dark yellow crust on the surface. I have had stomach trouble since this meal. I was also shocked at the waitress walking around and serving people with an open hypodermoclysis (needle fixture) in her right arm, which I found inappropriate. I also found the desert a total let down, I ordered lemon meringue pie, which consisted of unpleasant flavored pastry, flavorless lemon, and uncooked sparse meringue.

1 Thank Gina Y
United Kingdom
“Food not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

Ok for a drink, but the food was awfull. We had steak and chips with onion rings and salad and it was terrible, the chips were very dry as if re-heated, we asked for medium steak, but it was so tuff we thought they must have sent it t hell and back!!!
We sent the food back and did get a refund.
If your going for a drink then it's fine but personaly i would never eat in there as there are so many, and much tastier places to eat in Southport.

Visited May 2014