“Worst roon ever !”

Alexandra & Victoria
Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Southport
Reviewed 29 April 2012

We stayed at this hotel last year and had a really nice time so were really looking forward to the stay this time. On arrival this time we were given room 4 and after only a few minutes my partner went back to reception to ask for another room but was told that the hotel was full. The room was tiny no wardrobe just a few hangers two poles on the walls tired furniture a tv that when it finally started to work only had half the screen working. The shower room was was musty smelling and there was no hot water at 8.30 am. The room was juist outside the entrance where people stood smoking and the window would not close properly so we could here every conversation that was going on outside and the rubbish bin was the first thing you saw when opening the curtain. Two small single beds had been pushed together and made up as a double.
Never again will we set foot in this establishment !

6  Thank PETER G

Reviewed 25 April 2012

Stayed at the Alexandra & Victoria, Southport from Sunday 22 April to Tuesday24 April. The room was small but adequate for a 2 night stay, very comfortable. Staff very welcoming & breakfast excellent.

1  Thank Legallass
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Very tired with a "lovely view" of a fish and chip shop,very limited parking double room had a small self catering facility (handy for drinks etc.) good sized bed but the shower room was a joke, basin was to small to shave in and the rest of the space was to small to use properly,certainly. Not worth £100 per night for a couple. As a plus the breakfast was very good and the restaurant offered very good value meals. The staff were all very friendly and always seemed willing to help. The hotel is a bit like Southport itself and perhaps needs to catch up with the times.

2  Thank DrPlmr
Reviewed 11 April 2012

My partner and I have stayed at this hotel a number of times over the last couple of years but i doubt we'll ever come back after this trip. Although this place has always had mixed reviews on these sites and we know it isn't perfect, we have always felt that the lovely times we have on our breaks more than make up for what is usually lacking in the hotel. However not this time. It is clear the hotel has changed hands since we last stayed in September as it seems many cut backs have been put in place and the quality has certainly dropped with it which is such a shame.

The large blonde manager is rude and abrupt - as always, and has never once welcomed us back on our return visits even though she always recognises us, we are treated like strangers. This woman always seems to be in a bad mood!

After having a standard double room the first time we stayed (which is right by the entrance and very draughty and noisy) we decided from then on to pay extra on future visits for the deluxe kingsize at £100 per night...This time in this 'luxury room' a dirty bathrobe was left hung in the bathroom for our use with huge crusty orange stains on it. The curtains in our room were scruffy and too small for the bay window and were half hanging off. My boyfriend tried to fix them only to find the curtains were attached to the rail with bits of wire that had been bent to represent hooks!! Rooms are not turned down as part of the service each morning anymore - you have to put a sign on your door requesting this which we were not made aware of. Breakfast staff are always friendly but the quality in the items served were evident. We always looked forward to our breakfasts here but they weren't as nice and were very basic. Napkins and tablecloths at breakfast have been replaced by bare cheap looking tabletops and tiny cheap serviettes like they give away in MacDonalds. As per other reviews, the walls are very thin in the rooms which we never bothered about until staying in room 2 this time. It's very unnerving and not very nice to be lying in bed and hearing a guest next door on the loo - and vice versa probably, i dread to think....

Overpriced and poor quality. Most staff very kind and friendly, but certainly not the management.

We have always been happy to pay extra for a nice room, but only if it reflects in the quality you get back. This place just doesn't anymore.

Room Tip: Rooms upstairs, front facing are very nice - avoid all others.
3  Thank Claire W
Reviewed 8 April 2012

I had a groupon voucher for afternoon champagne tea for this hotel. before leaving I read the reviews from trip advisor, which made me quite apprehensive. When we got to reception we were greeted straight away and very politely by the friendly receptionist, we took a seat as requested and our waiter Gabriel came to escort us to the table with in minutes of arrival. The dining room was light and airy and had a mixed feel of modern and Victorian décor, which they had managed to blend very well. When the food came the sandwiches were fresh. The victorian sponge was definitely not 'shop bought' as in another visitors review. In fact it was so soft and light my daughter and I had trouble actually picking it up. It was well presented. The staff courteous and attentive, but not overly so, allowing my daughter and I time to talk. I would definitely visit for coffee and cake when I visit Southport in future. As for the toilets I can only assume that the lady that 'nearly vomited' had been in after someone else that had been in there as I found them clean and well stocked with a baby accessories in the disabled toilet. However, the outside decking needs to be updated as soon as possible as it was basically falling apart, which as a pity. I would have only two criticisums, the dinning room was far too hot, even thought the blinds were down and there was only one toilet that had to be shared by men and women.

Room Tip: Unable to comment as did not stay the night
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I have afternoon tea frequently all around the UK, it's just a little treat of mine. I got a living social coupon offer for here, and having read reviews on Tripadvisor beforehand, knew it wasn't going to be amazing, but fancied a change (usually go Cheshire, Manchester, Liverpool and Wirral). The food was not 'amazing' but it was nice, and we ate it. I have had luxurious afternoon tea at Hard Days Night Hotel in Liverpool, Hope Street Hotel Liverpool, Opus Lounge Manchester, Roses Tea Rooms Wirral. This was not a patch on those, but it was a pleasant enough visit and sold-as-seen as far as I am concerned.

The staff were attentive, especially the waiter. The restaurant was modern and clean (I am ocd about cleanliness, the bathrooms I used during our visit were SPOTLESS as was the dining area, or I would say so!).

The cakes were shop bought and sandwiches basic, but there were nice, edible, and we had a lovely time somewhere different.

1  Thank seahorsesparkle
Reviewed 3 April 2012

We have just had Sunday lunch and bed and breakfast - -the staff were really friendly and the food was very good I would recommend this hotel - it was very clean as as I have said the staff were very helpful and friendly.