“Stay was better than expected”

Alexandra & Victoria
Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Southport
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Booked a weekend stay in June;then read reviews and became concerned. Rang hotel to discuss. On arrival,were warmly greeted and was clear our concerns were addressed. We had a de luxe room (6) which was room enough for two people albeit the en suite shower room was small. Room was clean,linen fresh, no smells, usual extras and there was a kitchenette in a cupboard [plus tea/coffee & biscuits] Main concern was the window-old style and wonky- with metal framed secondary glazing which was difficult to open and close. Noise levels however weren't that high but take earplugs if a light sleeper. The three staff we met were pleasant and helpful,Alison especially so. My mattress was lumpy and creaked. A plump matress topper was provided as a quick fix,which was quite satisfactory; two spent light bulbs were replaced on asking. The breakfast was well cooked with usual choices and good for the price. Dining room bright and airy if a little dated. The buliding is old and a victorian guest house style. The interiors need a bit of TLC but thr outside seemed recently painted. It is not a boutique hotel and the room price a bit high for a guest house but it is on the seafront and near the shops.

Room Tip: Rooms 5 & 6 on 1st floor at front (nb.no lift.) Reasonable double/twin rooms en suite
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank cynthia h

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Stayed here for one night on the bank holiday weekend this May bank holiday and have stayed here before. It was a comfortable, clean, quiet room and described as being a deluxe room. The room itself was small and the bathroom tiny and as I said it was advertised as deluxe! However it was adequate for our purposes. The one gripe I had is that we paid £110 for this room and there was no breakfast supplied. I have stayed in other hotels in and around Britain and across the world and they always provide a breakfast. However after reading through the booklet that comes with room I discovered that the price of the rooms included breakfast! I took this matter up with the manager and she then included a breakfast after telling me that the paperwork had not been amended yet. I found that to be an acceptable remedy to the issue of breakfast for such a high price for such an average room.

Room Tip: If you are going to this hotel just beware for although it is ok and adequate for the purpose for th...
3  Thank Graham S
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night on the bank holiday weekend.

Was looking for a comfortable, clean, quiet room however basic however this is not provided.

The room itself was small and the bathroom tiny. The smell of wet dog/ dirty hoover was belly churning, but not to be put off I sprayed the room with deodorant and it all looked clean enough so I got changed and left for the evening.

Once in bed the trouble began, loud noise from the street in front made it feel like sleeping in a warzone made worse by the mattress which to say it had seen better days is an understatement. It was clean but had lost all its spring in the middle providing no support. The curtains were very thin and not backed and the bangs and noise started at 7, so no chance of going back to sleep after.

The management of this establishment should in my honest opinion invest in some backing for their curtains, some new mattresses and de clutter their reception area to make more welcoming.

Not a total loss but little sleep. On a positive the shower was powerful and water plentiful.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank bigleemcd
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Room seven has no iron as advertised....it has a problem with a horrible sewer smell in bathroom....
Kitchenette missing a fridge and utensils.....lady on reception was nice but all owners and other staff were stressed and miserable....such a shame how its got stars ill never ever know.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank byronicle
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We recently stayed here. It's right on the promenade front with tight parking for about 10 cars. We paid quite a lot to stay and the room was very average but clean. Lights didnt work in bathroom and loo was positioned so you could hardly sit on it! Good shower and bizarre kitchen in what looked like a wardrobe. Were only here for one night. Didn't eat or drink here. Wouldn't recommend I'm afraid. Tired and dated.

Room Tip: Ask for one facing the sea rather than one facing the wall of the hotel next door!
1  Thank LancsbutYorks
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We have just returned from a weekend stay,We have travelled to lots of places and have never been a hotel so bad.After being given the key to ROOM 1 we opened the door and it had a awful smell that we couldn't find where it was coming from,so we got fabric spray and kept using that but it didn't get rid of it.ROOM 1 is next to the outside door for people to let them self in when reception is closed,Friday night was like a mad house people coming all night, bringing others in the hotel to party,going in and out of the door for a smoke,once outside standing next to the bay window of ROOM1so we managed to get to sleep around 4 30am I was so shattered next morning I couldn't eat my breakfast.We were never asked if slept well or enjoyed our stay on checking out as if they know how bad it is to stay in that room from past visitors.As for 4 star I don't w they them it never stayed there and they didn't get ROOM 1.NEEDS A NIGHT PORTER !!!

Room Tip: If given the key to ROOM 1 don't hand over your money and go home
1  Thank mariasykes
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I booked a room for an overnight stay as a friend was getting married nearby. I was quoted £35 on the telephone but when I arrived I was charged £69 at check in which was not expected. I was shown to room 4 and oh my god, it was horrendous, I am in no way a snob but this was a joke, I asked the lady on reception if there was another room but she said it was fully booked, I then asked form my money back as there was no way I could sleep in the room and she said absolutely not! It had an old mohair blanket on the bed that I would just about give my dog to sleep on, the toilet had been used and not cleaned,( I wont put you through the gory details ), there was a lovely view from the window of a brick wall which made the room dark and overall very disappointing. From check in to check out, I was in the "hotel" for no more than 5 minutes and yet still refused a refund. This is an absolute disgrace of a hotel and the staff could do with a few lessons in customer service. If you do decide to stay at this hotel then PLEASE ask to see your room before you hand over any of your hard earned cash!!

Room Tip: Avoid room 4 on the ground floor
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple