Travelodge Southport Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$127
US$111
  • Beachfront
US$138
US$107
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
The Talbot Hotel(Southport)(Great Value!)
US$95
US$142
US$132
  • Restaurant
The Bold Hotel(Southport)
US$174
US$162
  • Restaurant
Balmoral Lodge Hotel(Southport)(Great Value!)
US$83
Premier Inn Southport Central Hotel(Southport)(Great Value!)
US$123
PremierInn.com
All reviewsmecca bingotravel lodgecar parklord streetmorrisons supermarketfamily roomshort stayexcellent locationconvenient locationtravel cotbars and restaurantsone night stayreception staffwould stay againcomfy bedfirst floorgood nights sleep
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Very basic although for the money this is what you would expect.The Pillows were very uncomfortable as was the duvet. I had to clean the sink myself. 1 tiny bottle of shower gel between 2 for 2 nights.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This was my first time staying in a Travelodge and will probably be my last. The hotel is situated in the centre of Southport so the location is good, and I can not deny that being a newly built hotel the place is clean and tidy and the beds are very comfortable offering a good nights sleep. However these are the only positives I can find.

We arrived just after 2pm only to be told that check in was at 3pm, and even though our rooms were ready if we wanted to check in at that time we would have to pay the early check in fee. We were therefore left sitting in our car outside for half hour waiting to go back to check in. This is the first time I have arrived at a hotel slightly early only to be told I would have to pay to check in early. This compounded the impression that, like certain budget airlines, with Travelodge you only get the basics and everything else is an optional extra that you have to pay for. Such as the car parking (below).

There is only a small car park behind the Travelodge with space for 12 cars. This costs £5 for 24 hours parking. You can park outside the front of the hotel for £1.20 an hour, and this was free overnight until parking restrictions come back in force at 8am on weekdays.

The reception of the hotel is on the 1st floor which probably adds to the impersonal touch of the hotel, as you only encounter any staff if you actually go looking for them because you need something. This is a contrast to the Premier Inn we stayed in 2 days before, where we were constantly walking past reception and everyone was saying hello, and asking if we were ok.

The room I stayed in was small with a double bed, table and chair. My friends had booked a family room which was bigger. The biggest problem with the bedroom was that there are no drawers/wardrobe to put anything away in. You don't really want all of your clothes and belongings on display and so I had to keep things in my suitcase. I don't really enjoy living out of suitcase particularly as we were there for 3 days. There are also no bedside tables, just a very small shelf which wasn't even big enough to put a book on. I had a cold at the time and had to sleep with the box of tissues on the bed as there was no where to put them!

Finally, the bathroom, which only had a shower, was clean but being all white, with a plastic shower curtain, and flooring that curves up the skirting board, it felt very clinical, not dissimilar to a hospital bathroom.

I appreciate that you are paying a low price and so shouldn't expect a 5 star hotel. However there are other budget hotel chains that are offering more for a similar price. On that basis I am not sure I would rush to stay in a Travelodge again, unless there were no other options.

2  Thank labella21
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Absolutely excellent stay. Good location in town, staff excellent will be staying for a long weekend next time. The hotel is clean spotless and the bed extremely comfortable. Bathroom to a high standard

Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
4  Thank Amanda M
Reviewed 28 May 2014

stayed at this hotel recently.right in the middle of southport & handy for all the shops & bars.the new pier area is brill with shops ,bowling alley etc
nice clean & modern rooms with a lovely comfortable bed,staff were very helpful & polite.
will deff stay there again

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank kevntrace
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed early May with a friend of mine. I would like to take the opportunity to say that although the rooms were clean and tidy and maintained the average expectations of a travelodge, overall our stay was very dissapointing.
We encountered our first problem before even checking it... The problem being we couldn't. Check in was advertised from 2pm so we decided to arrive around 4ish to save that 'check in' rush only we didn't avoid that rush. When we entered the reception, we were greeted by hoards of people only to be informed by one of them that we wouldn't be able to check in because the hotel wasn't ready for us... Once we got to the front of the queue (which was a good half an hour wait) we were informed by the young man on the reception desk that they had had an abundance of housekeeping staff call in sick and therefore were running significantly behind time. This, I thought was perfectly plausible, understandably the hotel would be running behind should they have a large number of staff off sick however, what really annoyed me about this situation was that the young man in question was quite rude, he was short and abrupt with what he was saying. I can understand he had probably had a hard day, and it was likely that he had equally had to deal with rude customers however, my friend and I were nothing but polite and understanding with him yet he continued to exert his bad mood onto us. Having worked in hospitality myself, the number 1 rule I lived by was always to greet each customer as though your first of the day... This was not the case. The young man told us they were approximately 90 mins behind schedule and therefore we couldn't check into our room, I happened to point out that by this time (approx 4:30) it was infact 2 and a half hours over schedule as we could have arrived at 2pm to check in. This was clearly to his distaste and he advised us to come back in an hour. We finally got into our room at 6pm. NOT GOOD. We weren't even offered a discounted room rate or drink whilst waiting, and when we enquired about a discount we were sniggered at by means of response.
OK, Subjective I hear you cry, this is not an every day occurance in the hotel and therefore shouldn't taint my perception however, there are other issues with this hotel which I will address.
Firstly, I was disheartened by the lack of empathy the staff had towards a gentleman with a wife in a wheelchair. He was infront of us at the check in desk and when he was informed his room was on the 4th floor he was taken aback. He politely enquired how this could be so when he had specifically requested a disabled access room when booking. The young man said there was a lift. That is all fair and well but can a lift be used when there is an emergency evacuation? I think not. There is no way this elderly couple would have made 5 flights of stairs to the exit had this been the case. Although this incident didn't effect my stay, I was shocked when I overheard the conversation and it definitely left a sour taste in my mouth. As a teacher I profess equality and diversity - it seems travelodge does not!
My final gripe with this hotel was the noise levels. I'm positive it cannot have been just our room as we weren't close to the lift area however, we could constantly hear the noise of the lifts going up and down the lift shaft. When we asked about this we were told there wasn't any other rooms to swap to. The noise was enough to interrupt your sleep, and was the final straw for us.
We will not be returning to this particular travelodge again which is a shame as in previous stays in other locations we have had a most enjoyable stay. Unfortunately, this visit has really tainted our perceptions and we would strongly consider booking with travelodge anywhere before doing so in the future.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
1  Thank natalie b