“Worst hotel ever...” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 40 Southport B&B and Inns
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Worst hotel ever...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

This "hotel" was a complete health hazard. There were wires hanging from walls, extension leads being used, carpets were filthy, stairways were far too narrow, ancient light switches were covered with tape to stop them being used, shower unit was attached to a piece of wood above the shower cabinet, large piece of glass balancing dangerously above a door. Bed linen was so old it was totally faded. Rooms had a very musty smell. Damp patches evident on a number of walls.

Room Tip: It is not possible to choose a good room in this place.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Lesley1111563

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Bolton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

We stayed here one night after attending a function at the Ramada Plaza, which was just over the road so very handy spot as we could walk to it and left our car on the small car park. Breakfast was very good and the owner and the one staff we met very pleasant. Room was clean and cosy, we both slept well. Only one complaint the steep step in the bathroom is quite dangerous, I missed my footing and hurt my ankle, it could do with a notice about it, or a white strip on the edge to warn you to be careful. Would stay here again though, very handy for everything and were able to leave our car there all day on the Sunday.

Room Tip: No.2 very nice, just watch the step in the bathroom
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Tenerife
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

I had one night at Penkelie Hotel to visit the NAFAS Flower show in Southport. The breakfast was in the friendly informal dining room. Everyone was there to see the flowers and had come from all over the country and I'd flown in from Tenerife the night before to Manchester.

The breakfast was superb and the staff so friendly.

I had of course a case with me which I couldn't stow away at the Floral Hall, as there was no baggage room, but the staff at the hotel kept it for me, after I'd checked out on my final day. The decor is comfortable and not brand spanking new, which I like and homely. The only downside for me was I was on the top floor and I was recovering from an operation a couple of months previously, so was very glad my case was whisked out of my hands and up the stairs. The sun shone for me on the Thursday, which it was very reluctant to do the rest of my visit. I thoroughly recommend this hotel if you have to go to an event at the Floral Hall. It is so central for Lord Street. You have your own front door key for access all the time. The train runs direct from Manchester Airport to Southport so a very easy journey there too.

Room Tip: Ask which floor you will be sleeping on and if stairs are a problem for you try to get one on the fi...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Cristina_H44
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Penkelie in May, booked at the last minute. I found the hotel to be basic, but good value for money. The staff were extremely friendly and welcoming, it was in a great location, close to all amenities, and clean and tidy. The bed was comfortable, and I slept well, except for the corridor door banging now and again, but nothing I couldn't put up with. All in all, for a budget hotel, I would recommend the Penkelie.

Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Jen S
Lichfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

My friend and I stayed at the Penkelie in November 2011, while attending a close friends wedding!
Fantastic! All you could want from a B&B, close to the town centre; clean and tidy, very friendly staff.
Breakfast was great, the 2 ladies each morning remembered exactly how each of us liked our breakfasts! Spot on!
The room was a small double, and was serviced every day. The only problem we had was with the toilet flush, but we fixed that ourselves easily enough!
I was helped with luggage and given suggestions of things to do the days after the wedding. And when we needed an iron, the lovely lady there that morning, went and got ther iron from her home!
I only wish I'd of been able to get their names! Thank you for a fabulous stay! I'd definitely stay here again, should I be staying in Southport in the future!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kale3388
East Midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2011

We stayed one night in this hotel. The room was lovely. There was an ensuite, double bed and a couple of chairs. We were allowed up to the room early and able to leave our car there for the day. The reception was friendly and welcoming and the full English breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank patsyEastMidlands
liverpool
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2008

My boyfriend and i stayed here for my birthday. The room was not clean and the shower did not work unless it was a cold shower you was wanting. On the day of checkout we had a knock on the door at ten in the morning asking us if we could leave the room and hand in the keys. It was stated on the booking form that checkout was not until ten thirty. Around ten fifteen there was another knock asking if we were ready to leave yet. My boyfriend and i were rushed out of the hotel by a very rude lady who could not wait to get rid of us. Ow and we asked for a double room and what we got was two single beds pushed together with a double sheet and duvet on it.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple