“90's Party”

Pontins Southport Holiday Park
Ranked #18 of 23 Hotels in Southport
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Bought a groupon for us - we'd never been to a 48 hour party before, or a pontins!
Traffic was awful so we arrived a bit late but check in was a breeze with no waiting. When I booked I mentioned that my husband is a blue badge holder so we were allocated a ground floor apartment which wasn't too far from the Queen Victoria where it all happens. I was impressed that the staff organised this for us because a lot of companies wouldn't even think about it.
Whoever designed the layout of the apartment blocks is a genius. Love the way there's a one way road in a circle all the way around the site with apartment blocks on both sides.
I knew we had to pay separately for electric so I bought a card for 5 quid before we left the reception. I need not have bothered because there was 8 quid on the meter already. I put the fiver in anyway and when we left there was still credit of 9 quid!
The apartment was scruffy but clean. The walls were paper thin and people talking outside echo so you can hear everything! I'd packed earplugs so I was sorted!
The shower looked awful but it turned out to be lovely and powerful and hot.
We ate out all weekend apart from 2am jam and toast snacks.
We didn't like the queues at Pontins so went to the nearby toby carvery one night for tea and then again in the morning for breakfast.
You can see that the chalets are being refurbished but we got one of the older ones that hadn't been done up yet. Not a problem though.
We knew we were getting a bedroom with twin beds and a sofa bed in the lounge so thought we'd have separate beds for the weekend. But the sofa bed turned out to be normal height so we slept there. I must say it was the most comfortable sofa bed I've ever slept on!
The music is what it's all about. My favourite was the Kylie tribute act. But S Club Party and the chap from Liberty X was brilliant too. The girl from x factor really belted out the tunes too. The Robbie Williams tribute was pretty good.
The drinks are reasonably priced. A bottle of chardonnay was 11 quid and a pint of Tetleys was 3 quid. The whole place is just sticky. Your feet stick to floor as you walk and the tables are sticky due to spilt drinks!
There was a mix of all ages but I'd say it was mainly hen party groups of 20-30 year old girls.
Southport is a ten minute drive away and it's a good day out. So much so that we went on both Saturday and Sunday.
Being our first party we didn't dress up but we've booked for the next one and we're going all out for the 80's party. Cops and Robbers and then Club Tropicana with Bucks Fizz on stage. Can't wait. Bring it on!
Thanks to the staff who entertained us, kept us safe and worked hard behind the scenes. You did a fab job!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Derbygirl1973
Write a ReviewReviews (4,254)

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Went on a hen do to the 90s 48hour party weekend adults only, we stopped in the club apartments they where clean and had everything you needed for a base, they have just had a refurb , we also got free newspapers, free bottle of wine and a free breakfast with our package, everything happens at the Queen Vic pub, the staff where great friendly and there was loads of them on duty so you never waited long to get served , the vodka was Smirnoff and the prices were great, no rip off that you can get in some places!!! All the staff where great and up for a fun time, the acts they had were brilliant !!! If I was to nip pick it would be over the lack of plug sockets in the apartment and the on site fish & chip shop.......the queue to get served can take over an hour towards the end of the night, will defo return!!!

2  Thank Beverley D
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed here this week and I was appalled by the state of the place!!!

Go to haven holidays instead!!! Or even better it would be cheaper to go all inclusive abroad for these prices!
Ants everywhere and when I reported it I was handed a can of ant killer and told to do it myself, not a lot for the kids to do, swimming pool out of order, half the activities weren't available and then the beach is horrific!

If you enjoy southport itself like I did, I'd advise you go in a bed and breakfast...

The only good thing about this over priced hovel is the entertainment staff! I'd give them 5 out of 5! Management completely incompetent. The whole place was over priced and just a complete let down to my previous visits to different pontins however I don't believe I could even return to these other sites after my horrific 5 day visit to this hell hole! Heartbreaking!

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank Stacie19844
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Booked a Groupon deal for me and 3 friends. It was £199 for 3 nights which included a weekend of entertainment (90's themed).
The whole weekend was really well organised with back to back entertainment from Friday at 12pm, until the early hours of Sunday morning. We had a brilliant time, and there were no family's about, which I was concerned about. I don't mind children but if I'm going on an adult themed weekend I don't want to worry about my behaviour around children.
The rooms were basic but clean, just somewhere to crash. The breakfast was value for money and great for a hangover cure, and they serve it until about lunch time.
If you want a cheap weekend of fun with your pals, I would definitely recommend it.
If you don't like slumming it for a couple of nights, stay away.
We will be back next year!

Reviewed 22 June 2014

A group of 10 of us booked Pontins for the 90's weekend & to be honest after seeing the reviews & watchdog we were expecting the worst! We could not have been more wrong!

Admittedly when you pull up it does look a bit like a 70's council estate but the rooms are clean & have all the essentials, kettle, toaster, fridge, bed etc...

The staff could not have done more to make our stay a good one, check in took 2 minutes, everyone is cheerful & up for a laugh! The bar staff were awesome, Nathan on the WKD bar is a living legend!!!

The entertainment was hilarious, most of the 90s 'celeb' bands were happy to have pics & stuff! The drinks were reasonably priced & the chippy is a bloody life saver!!

We had a walk on the beach to sort our hang overs & it was beautiful! Southport was gorgeous, shopping, fun fair, bars! Although the speed boat ride scared the living daylights out of me!

All in all you get what you pay for & it's what you make of it! If you go expecting a 5* hotel then you're in for a disappointment, if you go with an open mind & up for roughing it a little bit then you will have an amazing time!!

We will definitely be re-booking for next year!!

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

After reading all these negative reviews, I felt I had to comment on my experience of pontins . I visited pointins with my sisters for a 90s party weekend and stayed in a club apartment. Yes !! it's not five star accommodation but I found them to be basic and clean ! Which suited our purpose. Booking in was well organised and quick and we were given good information. The weekend was brilliantly organised from start to finish, both themed nights were so much fun. I really think all the brilliant staff from the cleaning team to the entertainment staff deserve a special mention. They all worked so hard to keep everything running smoothly and keep the fun going. Loved, loved, loved shania pain what a star and so funny !! All in all we had a great time and will defiantly be back in December.

1  Thank manserj
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

We just spent 4 nights at pontins after reading all the bad reviews on her we were very worried as we had 2 small children and a pregnant lady in our party of 9. On arrival we checked in we were put in 2 separate blocks but after explaining that we were all together they moved us next to each other straight away with no complaints. The staff were very friendly and very helpful thought out our stay there. There rooms were surprisingly clean we had everything we needed. Unfortunately the swimming pool was closed for refurbishment but they offered all other activities for free instead of having to buy tokens so wasn't so bad all in all we had a lovely holiday and pontins doesn't deserve all the bad reviews we would gladly return again

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family