“Just awful!”

Pontins Southport Holiday Park
Ranked #18 of 23 Hotels in Southport
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I'm going to try and keep it short. we were really looking forward to a a mini break away. We usually do center parcs but thought we would try something new so we booked three nights here 27th-30th. We are a family of four ,children aged 2 and 6! After two and half hours drive we arrived at the site. My heart sank if I'm honest but thought don't judge it just yet! Checking in was awful. Queued for twenty five minutes to be told the check in was now taking place in the entertainment room so queued in there to be told club apartment check ins were back at reception. So queued back at reception and finally received our key and bedding. Walked a good five minutes to the apartment to find the key would not open the door ( raining heavy at this point) so me and the two children had to wait whilst my husband went back to get another key. Finally get into the room and It was fairly clean but the beds and bedding were so old!!!! I made two of the three beds up with the weirdest of bedding but the third bed pack was stained with mould and smelt very strong of damp so I had to go back again to reception to swap it. I actually wanted to cry at this point but held it together for the kids. After unpacking we walked out to look round. The swimming pool was being refurbished! ! !!!!!!!!!!! Massive let down our kids were so upset, we were told everything on site was free due to the pool being closed but there actually wasn't anything to do especially with it raining. When I booked the break there was nothing on the southport page to say the swimming pool would be closed. We were so upset about this and complained the following day and was told a manager would contact me but that never happened. We went to get some tea and wanted to go in the restaurant. There were plenty of tables free but not one clean and ready to sit at. To be honest I would sum the restaurant as filthy so then I took the children back whilst my husband queued for fish and chips. Totally and utterly disgusting and a rip off. The fish was boxed frozen fish and the sausages were awful. Luckily I had brought a few items from home so I made tea. So the two places to eat from were a no no so we decided to sleep on it and see how we felt in the morning. There was no hot water for a bath which was disappointing. I used all the towels I brought for swimming as pillows due to the ones provided being not much thicker than a towel! Basically the bad night sleep led to a 6am wake up and we packed up at 7am and checked out at 8am. When I complained at reception on checking out I was told there was swimming in southport which I had already googled but it was costly and the thought of having to come back to this place after a day out was a big NO. So we left and went to Blackpool. This experience has taught me a valuable lesson, read reviews before you book somewhere. To sum up staff friendly but the place itself is vile!! Very upset that my complaint was dismissed regarding the swimming pool. All customers should have been made aware before arrival on the refurbishment.

Room Tip: Take your own bedding.
2  Thank rodgerCumbria
Write a ReviewReviews (4,254)

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed for a weekend family of 5, lots to do on the park staff very efficient when booking in accommodation was clean. my son had an accident on the skate park and they was so efficient it was unreal I can actually say they gave 110 % in their efficiency ....thank you again to Mark the parks manager and his staff :) look forward to seeing you again soon :) x

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I'm really disappointed in Pontins, had a fairly good weekend, other than the swimming pool being closed which was a shame, but overall ok. That was until I checked out on the Sunday got nearly home, and realised that I had left my mobile phone charging in the room! Never mind I thought I will ring when I get home and ask them to post it too me, as I live 2 hours away. Firstly no one answered the phone, so called in the morning spoke to charlotte who said she would get house keeping to get it for me, and call ( on the house phone to let me know) but I would have to send a stamped addressed envelope for them to return it! Now I did think this was being a bit tight of pontins, but as most people I'm sure agree my phone is very important to me, as it has all my numbers in and also pictures of my little girl. By 3.30 no phone call, as you can imagine I'm getting quite alarmed by this point, and have the envelopes ready to post. So I tried calling again over and over and no one answered the phone, I left it ringing for 2 hours, every now and again in between ringing it would be engaged, so someone was actually using the phone, or just taking it off the hook! Actually I'm ringing again now whilst typing and guess what no answer again! I've sent my envelopes so I'll keep you posted to see if I ever get through or ever get my phone back

Room Tip: Don't go very poor customer service
1  Thank Helen H
Reviewed 30 June 2014

dirty dirty dirty , dust thats years old, floors covered in sand, duvet and pillows with stains.
childrens entertainment using words that sound like swear words not what I want to hear food was below average
never again

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We just returned from a weekend at Pontins Southport. My friend booked it and I was really excited up until I read all the terrible reviews online. I became more and more reluctant to go but as it was already booked there was no way back. We arrived and got our keys very quickly, the apartment was nice and clean (the floor was a bit sticky, but was not too bad).

Unfortunately the swimming pool was closed but it said that all the activities were free for the weekend (so no extra charges for fun bikes etc. The weather could have been better for the first 2 days but there was still quite a few things to do for the kids (the indoor play area was my daughters favourite).

On Sunday the weather was absolutely beautiful and the kids spent the day outside on the bouncy castles, fun bikes, trampolines and the outdoor play area. The beach is only minutes away so we had lovely walks there too.

The only downside was the drunk, noisy people at night (luckily my daughter didn't wake up from the shouting).

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed here for 5 days and as previous reviewers have put it you really only get what you pay for .We were upgraded free of charge and the apartment the apartment was clean with plenty of room but the only problem is if you get noisy people in your block who stay up half the night partying you can hear everythig that is going on.The bar prices are reasonable but the problem is all drinks are served in plastic cups.I cant comment on the entertainment as i didnt see any but if you want a quiet drink there is a nice pub across the road.There is also a bus stop outside the camp if you want to go into Southport.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My daughter and her friend went here for 2 nights for a break. We usually go to Prestatyn but it is shut for 2 weeks so they went here. From the moment she arrived she said everyone was lovely. They were given a new refurbed chalet which was great. The Reception staff were very helpful. My daughter's phone credit went and she wanted to ring me as someone had upset her and she asked at reception if they would ring me and I would ring her straight back and the lady said, No need, use our phone and even offered to let her use her mobile if she needed to which I thought was so kind of her. The Bluecoats were all really friendly. Liam knows her and so made a fuss of her but she said the ones she didn't know were also very friendly. She was disappointed that the swimming pool was shut as she loves to swim but the management had made all the activities free to make up for it, which she was pleased about and made the most of! What great value! She did say there were a lot of dubious people about but they didn't spoil her time there. A big thank you to Mark, Mike, the nice young man who checked them in, the lovely lady at reception, Liam and all the Blues. Full marks for Customer Service!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends