“Late review but wanted to write one”

Pontins Southport Holiday Park
Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Southport
“Late review but wanted to write one”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We visited pontins in September 2013. We were very wary after reading all the reviews, but we went with an open mind and just hoped the apartment was clean, as that's all we were really bothered about. We needn't have worried, we thought the apartment was lovely. Just the normal basic one but it was clean and tidy and they'd tried to make it feel modern with the leather sofa bed etc. The shower was useless, but hey ho worse things could happen.

We did comment that the arcade was dated and the carpet dirty, but we didn't let it bother us. At the end of the day they have hundreds of people there every week and not everybody is respectful in trying not to dirty the place. Rubbish / food etc. our son win a lot of tickets and git a car with it, he had tons of fun and couldn't care less what was around him apart from the penny machine he was playing on. If he has fun we're happy. We had the onsite chippy and had no complaints, most nights we cooked in the apartment. There is an asda nearby so we did a big shop on the first day. We also ordered a takeaway to the gate, which the security guard was more than happy to help with when we asked. They provided us with a menu etc.

We had some fun evenings in the entertainment bar, but were back in the apartment at ten each night as we had out young son with us. Happy hour was good with cheap alcohol! Won some fudge at bingo. Didn't get round to swimming as we didn't have time in our week. We had looked at going to the swimming pool in southport, and also the funfair, but turns out these are only open at weekends at that time of year which was disappointing. Visited southport for a day out, lovely town and some lovely arcades down there. The onsite childrens play park was brilliant.

All in all we would go again. There's no point being fussy. You can't expect 5 star when your paying £60 for 4 nights away. We always make our holidays what they are, if you go open minded and just aim to have fun, then usually you will. And if you start looking under cupboards for dirt your bound to be disappointed with what you find! People would be even more annoyed if they had to wait longer for check in cause the cleaners were cleaning under cupboards and up by ceilings.

We may have got lucky with our accommodation but I doubt it, so many people visit pontins and if everyone had a disgusting apartment and terrible time then the place wouldn't still be running cause no one would be going back.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Kitkez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (839)
Aberystwyth
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Me and my partner and 2 yr old arrived at pontins Southport we were given our keys to our chalet were we found it to have not been cleaned. So we got moved to chalet Num 2 were I was having a shower and I herd I crack and they was water gushing through the ceiling were our 2 yr old was there moments before at this point it was 8 pm and I spent 6 hrs on a train to get here all pontins did was put me in a other chalet so we had no help moveing again. On Tuesday night we had a drink from the bar which had line cleaner in it so it's Wednesday now we are still here hope it gets better. I now work as an Ents manager and my park is so much better.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank entschris2013

Travellers are raving about these Southport hotels

Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We live not far from pontins so we decided to go in for the day at a cost of £3 each to use all the facilities. There was my husband and myself and my 5 yr old daughter and 2 yr old daughter. firstly we were told the pool was closed so we could use all the out door attractions for free. We decided to try the soft play area first. It was very dirty and we witnesses a child 'weeing' from the rope bridge into the ball pool, nothing was don't to clean this, there was a heated argument between two parents about something which had to be broken up by staff. At this point we decided to go home for lunch and come back later. On our return my daughter went on the out door log flume and my husband lifted her on to the ride someone put their hand in his coat pocket and stole our camera - nice! don't think we will bother with this place again - feel sorry for those staying on site, looks very dirty and poorly kept.

2 Thank AIMEE S
Bradford,Westyorkshire
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Visited Pontins for the 4th Year in succession with our family (13 in total) Booked the holiday in November last year.
This time we stayed Club Class in chalets 1.3.5.7. Which we found were slightly better than the Classic we have used before. The entertainment was poor, and we found that the Bar Prices had risen quite a bit since our visit in November. Whilst we got free Papers, Free Bot Wine, and a free Breakfast on the departure day I feel that The refurbishment is taking its time in being done. Whilst also the Leisure Park was free this due to other things not being ready overall I think Southport is not giving value for money especially on Bar Prices as the price of Bees and Lagers was reduced by the goverment earlier in the year. and a bottle of Italian Wine was £11.00 a bottle. Come on Brittania get your finger out. P's The booking was made by my daughter Mrs M.Simpson but I thought I would have my say on this Park our age group varried from 5 yrs to 7 yrs

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
cumbria
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I'm going to try and keep it short. we were really looking forward to a a mini break away. We usually do center parcs but thought we would try something new so we booked three nights here 27th-30th. We are a family of four ,children aged 2 and 6! After two and half hours drive we arrived at the site. My heart sank if I'm honest but thought don't judge it just yet! Checking in was awful. Queued for twenty five minutes to be told the check in was now taking place in the entertainment room so queued in there to be told club apartment check ins were back at reception. So queued back at reception and finally received our key and bedding. Walked a good five minutes to the apartment to find the key would not open the door ( raining heavy at this point) so me and the two children had to wait whilst my husband went back to get another key. Finally get into the room and It was fairly clean but the beds and bedding were so old!!!! I made two of the three beds up with the weirdest of bedding but the third bed pack was stained with mould and smelt very strong of damp so I had to go back again to reception to swap it. I actually wanted to cry at this point but held it together for the kids. After unpacking we walked out to look round. The swimming pool was being refurbished! ! !!!!!!!!!!! Massive let down our kids were so upset, we were told everything on site was free due to the pool being closed but there actually wasn't anything to do especially with it raining. When I booked the break there was nothing on the southport page to say the swimming pool would be closed. We were so upset about this and complained the following day and was told a manager would contact me but that never happened. We went to get some tea and wanted to go in the restaurant. There were plenty of tables free but not one clean and ready to sit at. To be honest I would sum the restaurant as filthy so then I took the children back whilst my husband queued for fish and chips. Totally and utterly disgusting and a rip off. The fish was boxed frozen fish and the sausages were awful. Luckily I had brought a few items from home so I made tea. So the two places to eat from were a no no so we decided to sleep on it and see how we felt in the morning. There was no hot water for a bath which was disappointing. I used all the towels I brought for swimming as pillows due to the ones provided being not much thicker than a towel! Basically the bad night sleep led to a 6am wake up and we packed up at 7am and checked out at 8am. When I complained at reception on checking out I was told there was swimming in southport which I had already googled but it was costly and the thought of having to come back to this place after a day out was a big NO. So we left and went to Blackpool. This experience has taught me a valuable lesson, read reviews before you book somewhere. To sum up staff friendly but the place itself is vile!! Very upset that my complaint was dismissed regarding the swimming pool. All customers should have been made aware before arrival on the refurbishment.

Room Tip: Take your own bedding.
2 Thank rodgerCumbria
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed for a weekend family of 5, lots to do on the park staff very efficient when booking in accommodation was clean. my son had an accident on the skate park and they was so efficient it was unreal I can actually say they gave 110 % in their efficiency ....thank you again to Mark the parks manager and his staff :) look forward to seeing you again soon :) x

• Stayed May 2014
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I'm really disappointed in Pontins, had a fairly good weekend, other than the swimming pool being closed which was a shame, but overall ok. That was until I checked out on the Sunday got nearly home, and realised that I had left my mobile phone charging in the room! Never mind I thought I will ring when I get home and ask them to post it too me, as I live 2 hours away. Firstly no one answered the phone, so called in the morning spoke to charlotte who said she would get house keeping to get it for me, and call ( on the house phone to let me know) but I would have to send a stamped addressed envelope for them to return it! Now I did think this was being a bit tight of pontins, but as most people I'm sure agree my phone is very important to me, as it has all my numbers in and also pictures of my little girl. By 3.30 no phone call, as you can imagine I'm getting quite alarmed by this point, and have the envelopes ready to post. So I tried calling again over and over and no one answered the phone, I left it ringing for 2 hours, every now and again in between ringing it would be engaged, so someone was actually using the phone, or just taking it off the hook! Actually I'm ringing again now whilst typing and guess what no answer again! I've sent my envelopes so I'll keep you posted to see if I ever get through or ever get my phone back

Room Tip: Don't go very poor customer service
1 Thank Helen H