“Never again”

Pontins Southport Holiday Park
Ranked #23 of 28 Hotels in Southport
“Never again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I got there Friday 11july2014 I had 2 teenagers with me and allot of luggage. I checked in at 4 to wait well over a hour for my keys I then entered my room to broken glass on the floor a bath the size of a baby's tub and cutlery that had clearly not been washed and put back thank god I had cleaning products. Put on the plus side the entertainment was amazing would I come again??????? NEVER

Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Kelly J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (818)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Just arrived home after a break at southport was disappointed had booked Club apartment the top of range apparently but they were almost the same as the cheaper classic popular version except you get double glazing on arrival floor was filthy the sink gave off a horrible smell like sewerage the tea and coffee pack were dried up and couldn't be used apartment not as stated should of had opening patio doors but didn't no electric socket for microwave and filthy sofa bed.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Bluesky87

Travellers are raving about these Southport hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We arrived on 7th July fearing the worst and unfortunately this was true. The apartment window leaked through into the kitchen. The're was mould in the bathroom and the food was awful. I went to the nisa shop and was scammed out of 5 pounds for scratchcards I did not buy but was added on. I noticed when I got out the shop so went back in to get my money back but was refused and the manager was hiding in the back of the shop. Clearly in on the scam

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Lorraine R
Edinburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Arrived to check in and was given chalet 920, opened the chalet door and discovered someone was staying in the room as it was full of people's belongings! Reception was full other guests that had been double booked aswell! The staff did try their best to rectify the problem & were polite but didn't seem to have a clue!!! I was eventually given another room (chalet 66) and I honestly can't tell you how filthy the floor was!! My children had to constantly wear their crocs because it was disgusting!! I'm going to post the pics I took of the floor to this site!! Thankfully we only stayed one night!! I went to reception to check out & to complain. I wasn't even asked what the problem was, just handed a slip with an address & email for a manager!!! So basically fobbed off! Don't waste your money on this hovel!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Hollywhitt85
South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

We went there for a long weekend and didnt even stay the night,the room was filthy,bedding was badly soiled and the grandson had to keep his shoes on as the floor was so dirty.Will now avoid all Pontins.

Room Tip: Dont go!!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Susan R
Wallasey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

It almost seems Pontins has been in the limelight but for the wrong reasons recently, with the place coming under fire from BBCs Watchdog reporting lights falling and building work on show. Although following a return from the resort today, I was much pleased to say that it was really up to scratch and we had a nice time.

Check in: 5/5
When we arrived on Friday, we was not quite sure were to check in, although this was partially our fault as we missed the signs. Check in was based on your surname with it being in a A-Z check-in basis. It wasn't long before we were in our apartment.

Apartment: 4/5
The apartment its self was on a top level and real clean. Their was no dirt or dust lying around and it was just right. The apartment itself was very spacious. It included a 4 seated table (could be extended to 6), sofa bed, 2 bed rooms (2 single beds in each) and a bathroom including a shower, toilet and shaving adaptors. The only let down was that the shower had slow pressure meaning it wasn't really powerful although hand and body soap were in the bathroom to use. The beds were a little springy but sleepable on.

Dinner and breakfast: 4/5
As half board guests we were able to take full advantage of the delicious meals on offer. It was a "all-you-can-eat" style dinner and breakfast. The food variety was really good and for me, being a vegetarian, their was a few choices. You were also allowed free juice drinks as well as tea and coffee. You could buy drinks from the bar but a small cup of Coke was £1.20, but this is what you would expect from a bar (There was a onsite Nisa which sold drinks for less than £1. Breakfast the morning after was quite nice although their was no vegetarian hot meal, however, I did find out that ON REQUEST you can get vegetarian sausages but this was not clear at all.
The only downside is that the queing system is unorganized, you would have to que for around 10-15mins before you got to the food, maybe a better system could be put in place but this is keeping in mind that this is the start of summer and the season.

Staff: 5/5
We didn't have much to do with the staff as we didn't need any help but they seemed helpful and polite on check in and at the desk when we asked a question. Bluecoats seemed good on stage but we didn't end up watching them.

Facilities: 5/5
On-site their is many things to do from trampolines to go-carts. Although at the time we went the pool was shut for reasons I don't know their was plenty of other things to keep people occupied. There was Bingo every night from 7pm (please check times) for those 18+. This was quite dear for bingo but I believe big prizes (Not old enough to play) from what people said. A play area indoors was open till 8pm for children up to 10 which appeared pretty cool and fun with movies playing too! The arcade was your usual, fruit machines, 2p and 10p machines and ticket machines. Southport is only a 10 minute drive away from the resort though.

Evening entertainment: /
Whiles we didn't watch the entertainment in the evening I am unable to comment on it but the massive hall was quite full and the bluecoats were walking around and seen onstage! We sat outside in the decking area and went on the arcades in the evenings. I played my dad and a family relative a few games of air hockey too with the 5 or 6 tables dotted around.

Overall: 5/5
My dad regular says: "A holiday is what you make of it". Us our selves had a great time, we didn't go around looking to see if the carpet had been hovered or the shelves dusted, just enjoying the sun and facilities enabled us to have a fab time and this is why I have awarded a 5 star rating for my visit. The park itself is clean and looks great. The only thing is, it could get costly if you stayed on site, its like £4 to go on trampolines. I have been in the past and would of lowered the rating but now, its a lot better. The place is improving.

Would I go back? Would I recommend it? Who did you go with?
Definitely Definitely Parents, Nan, Granddad and a few other relatives.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank William C
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

Just back from pontins in Southport. . After reading the reviews I was a bit worried so when we arrived we bought cleaning products. . We did not need them as our apartment was really clean, new beds etc kids cried coming home. Checking in was with in 5mins. Staff was very helpful.. the children loved the bluecoats girls and boys especially liam our chalet was beside all of theirs and he never walked pass the children without giving them a hi5. Pub price was good. Only thing they need to do is have some where to store bags as we had a late flight home trying to drag bags around and chasing 4 children was a bit mad but there was a couple of staff that helped us. Will be returning and will be telling friends

• Stayed July 2014