“Another visit to The Talbot Hotel”
Review of The Talbot Hotel

The Talbot Hotel
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Southport
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I have just come home from another stay in this hotel, and it is just so good I am writing again. It is welcoming , Gilbert remembered me from my previous visit and he is such a good host you immediately feel at home, and secure. It is clean and comfortable rooms. The food was excellent , served really hot on hot plates , makes such difference . Next time I have reason to be it that area I will not hesitate to stay there. Ideal for a holiday , walking distance of centre of town and waterfront. We certainly had value for money. Joyce

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 13 June 2014

We had the pleasure of being at a brilliant jazz weekend on May 2nd - 5th, at the Talbot Hotel, when the Temperance Seven were the star turn. They are still excellent musicians and true entertainers in their own right.
We also visited again for another fantastic jazz weekend on the 6th - 9th June.We had a great time with some superb jazz which culminated with the Bateman Brothers Band doing a Louis Armstrong tribute on the Sunday night, featuring Enricco Thomasso, Thomas 'Spats' Langham and Maggie Reeday. What a fantastic evening it was. Once again we must express our thanks to Gilbert, Julie, and their wonderfully attentive, efficient and friendly staff. We are looking forward to being with them again in September when the next jazz weekend is on. Thank you all once again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Just attended another amazing Jazz weekend at the Talbot.

Great value, with meals and some top Jazz bands included in the package. Particularly enjoyed the Sunday night with the Temperance 7, (although there were 8 in the band, 1 extra free).

Quite a lot of refurbishments going on I note, hope this not interfere with the next weekender for which we already booked as these events are seemingly sold out these days.

A devil on my shoulder tells that I should keep these weekends quiet, I might not get in soon!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Went with a large group of adults with learning disabilities, third annual trip back to the Talbot Hotel. The owner, Gilbert really couldn't do enough to make sure we were happy. The hospitality shown from Gilbert and all his staff was extremely attentive and for such a specialist group with different needs than the average customer really made our weekend. Couldn't recommend the hotel enough. We'll be back again next year. Many thanks Pete

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Peter D
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Great Weekend stay at the Talbot with 3 excellent Jazz evenings, Mart Roger's Manchester Jazz, Jive Aces with the wonderful Ray Owen as the Warm-up Spot, then Spats Langham and Keith Nichols What more could you want Warm welcome on arrival, pleasant helpful staff. Good food.

Our first visit, we will return.

M & J

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2014

The owner greeted me on arrival and I experienced a genuinely warm reception. Despite being a 'budget' hotel, lacking gym/pool etc, The Talbot is possible the most genuinely welcoming hotel I've ever stayed in (inc the Al Bustan Palace, Raffles and many more worldwide).

At breakfast, I overheard a group expressing the same views. This is a hotel which beats it's limitations with it's attention to guests' details and requirements. Don't expect Egyptian cotton bathrobes and 24 kinds of coffee and you will be glad you stayed.

I chatted with the owner, Gilbert, on my second night and praised him on the quality of his customer service: he explained that when he started 20 yrs ago, he took his staff to a leading hotel in London to experience truly great customer service. Well now the boot is on the other foot ... Staff from much larger and grander hotels should stay at The Talbot to experience true 'celebrity customer service'.

This is a proper, down-to-earth English B&B with service akin to what you'd expect from the best hotels in the world. I cannot recommend The Talbot in Southport highly enough.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank techtrixsupport
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We have just had another fantastic jazz weekend at the Talbot Hotel. A super programme of music on Friday with the Mart Rogers Manchester Jazz Band, The Jive Aces on Saturday night, and culminating on Sunday with Spats Langham and Keith Nichol. The Jive Aces are a high octive foot tapping band and are all real showmen in their own right. Once again thanks to Gilbert, Julie and their fantastic staff who really made the weekend go with a swing. The food was exemplary and plentiful. We are definitely returning soon.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple